Wiper stopped working

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Brisvegas
Junior Poster
Model: SA
Colour: Silver
Year: 1987

Wiper stopped working

Post by Brisvegas »

My friend has just imported a 1989 Excel into Australia.
Seller reported everything working well until 2nd drive then wiper stopped in mid screen after visit to car wash.
I have read lots of previous posts but having limited access to skills,equipment and parts ,am I right in thinking that the following would be the path to follow before my friend starts paying someone to pull the dash apart ?
Use the spare NOS wiper switch I have to make sure switch is not the problem
Check relays are not waterlogged and swap ones from my car to cross relays off the list
See if it is possible to disconnect or bypass park switch to get wipers working
Swap wiper delay module

Any other easy checks or likely suspects that we need to check or change if dash has to come out ?

Regards
Mark

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Re: Wiper stopped working

Post by Alan_M »

Can you still hear motor running? If you can check the cable is still attached to the wiper motor. Mine stopped mid screen - just needed cable guide screwing back on to motor. Easy to check by removing instrument cluster.

robertverhey
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by robertverhey »

Worth checking fuse? If Sydney based welcome to pop around and try to get to bottom of mystery, swapping over my (working) bits until the problem can be narrowed down.
Robert Glacier Blue '87 SE

Brisvegas
Junior Poster

Post by Brisvegas »

robertverhey wrote:Worth checking fuse? If Sydney based welcome to pop around and try to get to bottom of mystery, swapping over my (working) bits until the problem can be narrowed down.
Thanks Robert
Both cars are up in Brisbane so I am planning to put the cars side by side and work through in a logical way and try and avoid the major pain of the new owner of the SE having to pay for 10 hours of labour to have someone strip, fix and reassemble the dash.

It’s a pity we are not in Sydney as from your posts I know that you know your way around the mechanics of an Excel .

Cheers
Mark

Brisvegas
Junior Poster

Post by Brisvegas »

robertverhey wrote:Worth checking fuse? If Sydney based welcome to pop around and try to get to bottom of mystery, swapping over my (working) bits until the problem can be narrowed down.
Thanks Robert
Both cars are up in Brisbane so I am planning to put the cars side by side and work through in a logical way and try and avoid the major pain of the new owner of the SE having to pay for 10 hours of labour to have someone strip, fix and reassemble the dash.

It’s a pity we are not in Sydney as from your posts I know that you know your way around the mechanics of an Excel .

Cheers
Mark