Wiper motor

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Wiper motor

Post by Pete Boole »

Hi Guys - trying to sort my Elite wiper motor for which there are no spares available. What sort of Lucas motor does the Excel use - I can't remember!? I'm wondering, if it is a 14W whether I could replace my 16W with one. Anyone got a spare I could buy/borrow to see if this might be workable. The 14W is cheap and readily available.

Thanks

Pete

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Re: Wiper motor

Post by richardw »

Pete Boole wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 21:54
Hi Guys - trying to sort my Elite wiper motor for which there are no spares available. What sort of Lucas motor does the Excel use - I can't remember!? I'm wondering, if it is a 14W whether I could replace my 16W with one. Anyone got a spare I could buy/borrow to see if this might be workable. The 14W is cheap and readily available.

Thanks

Pete
Hi Pete,

My Excel parts list has semi-legible handwritten notes against the wiper motors - both versions (early and SE) are rated at 29w according to this note. The early one has the following numbers against it: 54073060 and 76263; the later one has 54072280 and 76373 (or 76378). The early motor was carried forward from the Elite/Eclat S2.2 according to the B083 part number prefix.

Hope this is of some help!

Richard

richardw

Post by richardw »

You got me searching. Here is a replacement for the lucas 29w motor that would be good for S2.2s and early Excels: https://tvr-parts.com/tvr-parts/part-de ... r-upgraded

Might get one myself!

Richard

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Thanks Richard. The replacement motor from TVR Parts looks interesting - I've messaged them to see if they know whether it would also fit a 16W unit. OK - progress - now looking for Excel 29W wiper motor! :D

Thanks

Pete

richardw

Post by richardw »

I think I have a bit more clarification about those handwritten numbers in the parts list:

The 5 digit numbers are the Lucas wiper motor part numbers

The 8 digit numbers are for the gear and shaft assembly. These may have been specific to Lotus due to the very wide sweep of the wiper.

Cheers, Richard

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Thanks for that - there are so many variations/combinations it's incredible!

Pete

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

More wiper woes:

I'm hoping there will be enough teeth on the opposite side to work:

And then there's the park switch to sort out - these are like rocking horse poo:

And the brushes to replace:

New brush assemblies are available that apparently only need a little bit of "adjustment" to make them fit, but they aren't as well-made as the originals. I've ordered some brushes of the right configuration - with the braid coming out of the side - but too they are too big so some sanding will be required. The braid on the original set-up is welded, not soldered, to the brush holders, so I've got to figure out how to connect the wires. I've also got to replace the wires themselves as they have become very brittle with age and are coming away from the switch itself - you can see that the red and green wire has come away from the tag. The tags are copper though so I'm hoping that they will clean up enough to solder some new wires on.

This will be the first part to be fitted back on the car - the wheelbox is buried behind the air conditioning housing!

Might still take a trip to LotusBits to get an Excel unit - at least you can get park switches easily!

Pete

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

A trick I’ve learnt from repairing a fan motor on my Rover 75 - cut the old brushes off leaving some of the wire connected to the holder. Take a connector block like this - https://www.screwfix.com/p/16a-terminal ... f-10/91532 , cut the plastic off so left with an individual metal connector. Use this to join wire to new brush tail. Then cut off the screw flush with the connector and add a blob of solder to stop it coming undone.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Good tip Alan. Thanks. I had to do the fan fix on my Rover 75 as well! Because I've also got to connect the brushes to the new wires I'm probably going to use crimp type butt splices and secure the splice to the brush holder to keep it in place.

Pete

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

Did you get your brushes from these guys - https://www.ecp.co.uk/ I believe that hey will make brushes to any spec.

Do you still have the 75? I’ve currently got 2, 1 tourer Connie and 1 saloon Connie SE, both cdt.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

ECP looks like a brilliant company! Didn't know about them. They've gone straight on my bookmarks page! Ordered mine from fleabay. I don't have the 75 any longer but really enjoyed it - took it down to the Pyrenees and stocked up on wine. It was a dark blue Connie 2.6 with a blue interior. I've still got some new blue floor mats and a steering wheel in the loft if you know anyone who might want them.

Pete

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Pete Boole wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 06:43
.... if you know anyone who might want them.

Pete
My great granddad might!
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

Pete Boole wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 06:43
ECP looks like a brilliant company! Didn't know about them. They've gone straight on my bookmarks page! Ordered mine from fleabay. I don't have the 75 any longer but really enjoyed it - took it down to the Pyrenees and stocked up on wine. It was a dark blue Connie 2.6 with a blue interior. I've still got some new blue floor mats and a steering wheel in the loft if you know anyone who might want them.

Pete
Might be interested in both - both of mine are blue, one dark blue with sandstone leather and one light metallic blue with black interior.
What condition is the wheel in and what colour?

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

The mats and the wheel are Neptune Blue. I've also got a chrome number plate surround for the front.

Pete

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

Pete Boole wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 22:07
The mats and the wheel are Neptune Blue. I've also got a chrome number plate surround for the front.

Pete
I think those would be relatively rare as that is a personal line interior, unfortunately wouldn’t go with my interior.