Engine Speed Limiter

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Engine Speed Limiter

Post by rbgosling »

I'm a bit confused here...

I had always understood that the electronic thingummy just to the rear of the AB14 ignition module was the rev limiter:

But there's another box, mounted to the same inner wing further forward, just behind/below the piping to the air box. This actually says "SPEED LIMITER" on it, as shown below:

Image Image

So what gives? Are they both rev limiters? Or is the box next to the AB14 something else?

This is all cropping up because, a week before Christmas, the Lotus decided that sparking was no longer part of its repertoire, requiring an embarrassing 30 minutes tinkering in the Mercedes HPP carpark while my colleagues filed out, some offering help and others offering comments about the wisdom of using a 32-year-old Lotus as a daily driver in sub-zero temperatures in mid-December, followed by a call to my wife to come and collect me. By some miracle it suddenly decided to spring to life just as she was pulling into the car park, but since arriving back home has refused to even cough. Only today have I started to try and track down the cause of the lack-of-spark, with no success so far. I've tried unplugging one of these modules, then the other, then both, then plugging them back in again, no joy, so I doubt they are responsible, but it has made me curious as to what the actually are!
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Re: Engine Speed Limiter

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Something else. The lower one is the real item
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

I think the one next to the AB14 has something to do with controlling idle speed - does your car have a throttle jack solenoid on end of carbs?

Marten
Regular Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red
Year: 1985

Post by Marten »

rbgosling wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 20:23
By some miracle it suddenly decided to spring to life just as she was pulling into the car park, but since arriving back home has refused to even cough. Only today have I started to try and track down the cause of the lack-of-spark, with no success so far.
First connect a decent bulb to the ignition coil to verfy you've got power while cranking. Uneven wear on the contacts on the switch can cause the contact to lift in the crank position. Sometimes the car will then fire when you give up and let go of the key

CHRISYD
Senior Poster
Model: N/A
Colour: N/A

Post by CHRISYD »

I think it is the speed sensing relay. not sure where it gets its signal from.
I REALISED YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT A LOTUS!!! Until now :oops:

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

I think Alan's right - it controls the throttle jack solonoid. That seems consistent with the wiring diagram too.
"Farmer" Richard

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

rbgosling wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 16:40
I think Alan's right - it controls the throttle jack solonoid. That seems consistent with the wiring diagram too.
Part number is A910E6757F described as Relay, rpm sensing (throttle Jack) in parts catalogue.
Alternative number is Bosch 0280230103. These are obsolete very hard to find. Or they were when trying to get one last year for mine. They were used for Bosch jetronic fuel injection systems.

Grizzly
Verified Poster

Post by Grizzly »

Hello,

Long time lurker here

Not a reply to the post exactly. I have the Engine Speed Limiter, but no Throttle Jack fitted to my 912HC engine,

Is any one able to tell me anything about the solenoid - make. model number,specification etc so that I can source one or its equivalent.

Also details of how it is fitted to the engine block / carburetor idle spindle would also be welcomed

Thanks

Brian

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

It's mounted at the front end of the forward carburettor. No idea what make/model it is, if there ever was a sticker on mine it fell off a couple of decades ago, but the Lotus part number is B910E9030J. If you have access to the parts list, it's 040 on page 42.03a – Carburettor Assembly, which also shows the lever it pushes on to control the throttle. I'm sure Lotusbits will have a few old ones knocking about if you want to fit it. I might be able to get a photo for you later, if I remember...
"Farmer" Richard

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

Grizzly wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 16:13
Hello,

Long time lurker here

Not a reply to the post exactly. I have the Engine Speed Limiter, but no Throttle Jack fitted to my 912HC engine,

Is any one able to tell me anything about the solenoid - make. model number,specification etc so that I can source one or its equivalent.

Also details of how it is fitted to the engine block / carburetor idle spindle would also be welcomed

Thanks

Brian
You don’t say if your car is auto or manual as I believe if an auto they didn’t have one fitted.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Alan_M wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 17:27

You don’t say if your car is auto or manual as I believe if an auto they didn’t have one fitted.
correct
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Grizzly
Verified Poster

Post by Grizzly »

Thank you Gentlemen for your replies.

My car is an SE, so therefore manual

I have the parts catalogue so know what I am looking for. HawaiisO has pointed me in the direction of SJSportscars so will try them tomorrow.

Thanks

Brian