Radiator Fans

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

mds666
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by mds666 »

the best way to fix that nasty wiring problem is to throw the imobiliser away... then just re insulate where the bodges have been...

Steve C
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Steve C »

Tanz wrote:. Has anyone got a better way of connecting wires than those plastic connectors as in the picture :?:
I would cut the original wire, strip it back a little, slide on some heat shrink sleeving, solder the original wire back together with the new wire also soldered to it. Slide the heat shrink sleeve over it and heat ..

Job done ..

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

I want to keep the imobiliser/alarm as the car is kept on the drive under a Auto pyjama storm cover and is a bit vulnerable to being nicked. I know any thief worth his salt could get past it but why make it easy for them. also it gives me remote central locking.
Ive done some soldering in my time and have a soldering iron. I have never used heat shrink sleeving but my give it a try. Is it available in most electrical shops :?:

chrisw2811
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1986

Post by chrisw2811 »

Hi Phil, soldering should be OK as long as there is no weight on the joints (flexibility helps to avoid fracture), and the heatshrink will support the joint more. Heatshrink is available from a lot of electronic hobby suppliers like Maplins http://www.maplin.co.uk/searchtemplate. ... INSULATION and just needs a hairdrier running over it to shrink it down to fit. It would be best to buy heatshrink that is close to the gauge of the wires, but allow some slack, e.g. 2.5mm heatshrink for 1.5mm od wire. The usual problem is keeping the heatshrink well away from the soldering iron to stop it shrinking before it should!
1986 Excel SE, 1985 FJ1100, 2012 Passat TDI Estate, 2012 Golf TSi, 2010 Mini R56, 1985 Yamaha Salient 1964 Raleigh Runabout 1960 Motobecane 1979 Honda NC50 , '02 Montesa 315R

Well, if I was right all the time I'd get to be predictable!