HELP..am losing hair

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

shepp726
Verified Poster
Model: EXCEL SE
Colour: CALYPSO RED
Year: 0

HELP..am losing hair

Post by shepp726 »

hi all< am new to site. i have 85 se EXCEL , problem i am having is, have had car running fine but had to short across starter as it wont start on key, when key is turned there's just a click in the relay. at moment it won't start at all just wont give a spark. have fitted new coil but no change.... anyone out there able to help a prematurely balding, nail biting, losing mind owner ?

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

coil or starter?

Post by AndyC »

You say you've had to short to the starter.
is that to get the starter to turn or to supply power to the other parts of the car?

Assuming it's the latter,
Is it the Lucas system?
If so, have you got power to the coil?
Have you got a spark at the coil?
If Yes then No, I'd suggest looking at the dissy and the amplifier.

If Yes and Yes, look at Ht side of dissy and leads.

If No and No, look at ignition switch and wiring to the coil.

If you can give more details we may be able to tell you which component.

shepp726
Verified Poster

Post by shepp726 »

shorting starter actually had car running, evrything worked fine and would turn off with key, but still wouldn't start with key. it is a lucas system' thought it might be ign amp but was told a common fault on glass bodied cars was earthing, so am none the wiser really. this is my first try at anything like this so not up to speed at all. got car 3 mths ago for £250, been stood since mot ran out sept 02, mainly cosmetics, but will need all glass bonding as a couple of small leaks have made it smell like a swamp.

AndyC
Senior Poster

curious

Post by AndyC »

You say with it shorted to the starter it would run and turn off but not start.
Do you mean the starter wouldn't turn over, or it turned over but wouldn't fire?

If it runs, then you can generally ignore the ignition module, dissy etc.
You would then need to start looking for where power isn't getting to.

Re the earth, yes it is a common issue, but if you only shorted the power to the starter not the earth, you can probably rule that out, a good clean of all earth points wouldn't be a bad thing though (prevent future issues).

So, if you've got a test lamp (even just a bulb and a piece of wire), find out if you have power to the input wire of the coil (one of the 2 wires on the + terminal= remove both, separate and check each, one should be live ), and if that's a yes, you have power to the coil.

shepp726
Verified Poster

Post by shepp726 »

cheers andy, sorry not got to you sooner. engine started and ran ok no probs, good spark, when shorting starter. when i tried a couple of days later engine turned over great just no spark at all. so something has happened between those times and thats whats puzzling me. will try out your suggestion and get back to you, thanks again.

type89
Verified Poster

Post by type89 »

try replacing the relay behind the RH pillar post, fixed my one which sounds like the same issue you are having. There was rust on the inside of said relay due to a leaking windscreen!

AndyC
Senior Poster

shorting starter

Post by AndyC »

I sill don't know if you are taking power to the starter or from it, that's key to the issue.

If you mean you're taking power from the starter to the ignition system, then check the power wire from the ignition switch is OK, and follow it through.

Andy