Rev limiter causing misfire

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

NickC
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Rev limiter causing misfire

Post by NickC »

Anyone got a rev limiter spare?

I have had a persistant severe misfire that I could not trace and have been scraching my head with for months. It only occured when the car was half warmed up, fully warm no problem, stone cold no problem, just the bit in-between that was worrying.

Anyway I finally solved it, it was the rev limiter! Now disconnected it and no more problem. All I need now is a new rev-limiter.

Nick

Rob-C
Junior Poster

Post by Rob-C »

Mine is disconnected for the same reason.

steve
Verified Poster

rev limiter

Post by steve »

Hi Guys
so this is where you all went to good to read some excel threads again.
You might be able to cure the rev limiter.
:D Take off the cover and remove the encapsulant around the three spade connectors, and you will probably find the middle spade has cracked at the solder joint. If you clean round the pcb and re-solder the joint, then cover the joint with araldite to strenthern the joint it should cure the problem, make sure the alaldite goes over the pcb as well. It would be a good idea to do all three spades this way.
(if you pull off the centre spade when the engine is running it will stop)

Hope this helpes
Steve

steve
Verified Poster

Post by steve »

Hi Nick
Just looked at the posting again and noticed you live in romford, same as me.
Rush Green rd you will see the excel up on bricks at the moment, wheels being refirbished and brakes being overhauled, should be running again in a week.
Do you go to the monthly meeting at the white bear.

regards Steve

MickC
Regular Poster

Post by MickC »

Steve,

Where abouts are you getting your wheels refurbished, if you dont mind me asking, I'm looking to get my Route OZ wheels done in the near future.
They're pretty good anyway but would benefit from a bit of TLC .

Cheers

Steve C
Senior Poster

Re: Rev limiter causing misfire

Post by Steve C »

NickC wrote:Anyone got a rev limiter spare?
Nick
I will have one spare in a few months .. when I finish the fuel injection, the ECU will handle the rev limit by cutting the fuel.

graeme thompson
Junior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: BLACK
Year: 1986

Post by graeme thompson »

I had excatly the same problem with mine.Some kind soul from the previous site suggested disconnecting it and have had no problems since.
Still not been able to find a new one though.You can use the one from the SA which is still available from Lotus but it cuts in at 6500 rpm and not 7200 rpm (who revs theirs that high anyway).
They can also be repaired/refurbished apparently and I'm currently looking into where that can be done

Steve C
Senior Poster

Post by Steve C »

Err, I take mine to 7000 ish when the need arises (everything nicely warmed up first) ...

I don't think I've ever made it to the limiter though, tend to change up when the calibrations on the rev counter run out at 7k!

With the Injection system, I have some programmable outputs so I can create a shift light for the price of a 50p large LED!

chrisw2811
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red

Post by chrisw2811 »

...... but at what rpm will you set the shift light?

Steve C
Senior Poster

Post by Steve C »

chrisw2811 wrote:...... but at what rpm will you set the shift light?
About 250rpm below the rev limiter :lol:

Since the engine has a few miles under its belt, I'll probably set the shift light at 6750 and keep the rev limit at 7250. It's a bloody bright LED, I don;t want it coming on too often!

Peter
Senior Poster

Post by Peter »

best time to set the shift light is just before the optimum change point, so that when you see it and react by changing gear you will be at the optimum change point

chrisw2811
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red

Post by chrisw2811 »

DPR is still on holiday in warmer climes. Maybe he'd like a shift light for his SA when he gets back?

NickC
Senior Poster

Post by NickC »

steve wrote:Hi Nick
Just looked at the posting again and noticed you live in romford, same as me.
Rush Green rd you will see the excel up on bricks at the moment, wheels being refirbished and brakes being overhauled, should be running again in a week.
Do you go to the monthly meeting at the white bear.
Steve,

I will try your soldering suggestion but I have peeled the rubber off now and can't see any dry joints.

No-longer being a membet of Club-Lotus I don't get to know when the monthly meetings are! Do these monthly meetings still occur? Is the White Bear still open, the last time I looked it was a house.

Cheers,
Nick

NickC
Senior Poster

Post by NickC »

MickC wrote:Steve,

Where abouts are you getting your wheels refurbished, if you dont mind me asking, I'm looking to get my Route OZ wheels done in the near future.
They're pretty good anyway but would benefit from a bit of TLC .

Cheers
Mick,

Try Andrew at BJV Engineering (http://www.wheelrefurbishing.co.uk), he did a good job on mine. Only problem is the centre caps don't fit properly because of the thickness of the powder coat.

Nick

NickC
Senior Poster

Re: Rev limiter causing misfire

Post by NickC »

Steve C wrote:
NickC wrote:Anyone got a rev limiter spare?
Nick
I will have one spare in a few months .. when I finish the fuel injection, the ECU will handle the rev limit by cutting the fuel.
Steve,

I would be very interested in that once you are sure you nolonger need it. I would also be interested in knowing how your injection conversion is going.

Nick