Alternative Engine's (V8) for the Excel

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: Alternative Engine's (V8) for the Excel

Post by Pete Boole »

Replacing the Lotus engine with a good second hand unit will categorically be the easiest AND cheapest way to get your car going again. Replacing with a different engine will take months and months to sort out - fuel injection, ecu wiring, exhaust fabrication, clutch sourcing including slave cylinder, enhanced cooling system and all the associated plumbing, air-con and all it's plumbing/wiring, engine mounts, possible gearbox mounts if you need to move the engine - new propshaft as a consequence - the list is almost endless. Keeping with the Lotus engine will also maintain the value of your car - nearly everyone likes to buy an original spec car, so you may spend money on the engine now, but you will easily recoup it when you sell.

Best wishes with the project though.

Pete

257spring
Regular Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Red
Year: 1983

Post by 257spring »

Pete Boole wrote:Replacing the Lotus engine with a good second hand unit will categorically be the easiest AND cheapest way to get your car going again. Replacing with a different engine will take months and months to sort out - fuel injection, ecu wiring, exhaust fabrication, clutch sourcing including slave cylinder, enhanced cooling system and all the associated plumbing, air-con and all it's plumbing/wiring, engine mounts, possible gearbox mounts if you need to move the engine - new propshaft as a consequence - the list is almost endless. Keeping with the Lotus engine will also maintain the value of your car - nearly everyone likes to buy an original spec car, so you may spend money on the engine now, but you will easily recoup it when you sell.

Best wishes with the project though.

Pete
I agree with this but getting a lotus engine within buget Ahhh it just an't happening, 500 plus the old engine, I was thinking if I did get a new engine the parts from the old engine (broken up) would help pay the projects way.. might stick it on e-bay as is,

alanbell
Senior Poster

Post by alanbell »

257 spring, I thought that you posted the car for sale on25.03.13 so why are you looking for another engine?.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

If you read the ad again you'll see it's only the engine for sale.

Pete

257spring
Regular Poster

Post by 257spring »

It looks like the easyist convertion is the 7M strait wix from the subra, like this one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330926578558? ... _82wt_1170

Or buy an old subra, and swap.

If you did go for the 1uz V8 would it be wise to buy this bell housing?? I take it that the engine plugs in (so to speak) but the bell housing is required to conect the gearbox to the engine block.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271205236694? ... 895wt_1200

Also anyone know anything about swaping the auto gearbox as well as the engine??

CHEERS
All the best.

[Moderator note : please stop posting irrelevant links at the bottom of your messages.]

Simpatico
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit

Post by Simpatico »

:roll: FFS why won't this thread die?

Lotus engine = £500 plus junk engine

"Subra" straight six, which won't fit, which will never be finished, which will just end up on Ebay as an unfinished project = £600 inc "optional" turbocharger...

Decision factor 0
I am an EX owner; I have ceased to be

257spring
Regular Poster

Post by 257spring »

Simpatico wrote::roll: FFS why won't this thread die?

"Subra" straight six, which won't fit, which will never be finished, which will just end up on Ebay as an unfinished project = £600 inc "optional" turbocharger...

Decision factor 0
How are you able to tell the furture? Amazing.. yea I think not.

shaunw
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit GT3
Colour: CALYPSO

Post by shaunw »

:roll: I keep expecting Noel Edmunds to post a picture of a 'gotcha' :lol:

yroll
Senior Poster
Colour: P02 pearl white
Year: 1986

Post by yroll »

257spring wrote:
Simpatico wrote::roll: FFS why won't this thread die?

Decision factor 0
How are you able to tell the furture? Amazing.. yea I think not.
To be honest, the 6-pot is a bit tall maybe?

alanbell
Senior Poster

Post by alanbell »

simpatico { hope the spelling is correct) is not foretelling the future he is making a reasonable assumption based on the facts disclosed by 257 spring in the many postings made in this thread and others. sadly for him and his car 257 spring has made it clear that he does not have the cash to replace the engine with a 912 runner so it follows he does not have the cash for an alternative. his posts have also indicated that he does not have the expertise to install any engine. he has had all the advice that the combined knowledge of the forum members has to offer and yet comes back with slight variations of the same questions over and over again.
I find the that 257springs posting show wild variations in the exactitude of his spelling and grammar, very curious!.

fueltheburn
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Suzuki Yellow
Year: 1987

Post by fueltheburn »

How many more people need to get frustrated with this thread?

1. Lexus v8 engine fits, too expensive for some by the time other mods are applied.

2. A Chevy lump also fits but to get it right and look factory takes years of fettling, patience and engineering expertise.

3. 912 solid as a rock if maintenance kept up, can be tuned very well but expensive!

Walk the walk and stop talking!!!!!!

MrCoolA
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1989

Post by MrCoolA »

well after the weekend at Croft, i know the route i would go down, and it isn't V8.
Previously Jerry (Taylor)
Now "Black Flag"

Lotus Excel SEI1989 253.6hp 190lbft
Lotus Elise S3 1.6. Motorsport Green 2011.

muphy
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel
Colour: Jupiter Red
Year: 1985

Post by muphy »

And to add my 2p.

Mike & crew of Lotusbits are testament to what can be done, with their stunning Sunbeams powered by 912's albeit slightly modified 8)

M
Restoration Blog: http://stoneyexcel.blogspot.co.uk/
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stoneyexcel/

Serial No: 1661
Built: 02/11/84

alanbell
Senior Poster

Post by alanbell »

if the moderators won't lock this lets stop posting on it, if we want to talk engines and mods thereto lets get a new and sensible thread going where costs and the necessary fabrication can be discussed without constant reference to a particular car whose owner has had the alternatives clearly and succinctly explained several times but is apparently hoping for a magic solution to emerge if the question is asked often enough!.

amarshall
Model: SE
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

I won't lock this one until someone gives me a reason to lock it.

If you think the moderators (and there's more than just me) have missed something, please use the report button (exclamation mark) to let us know about the offending post.
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!