Alternative Engine's (V8) for the Excel

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

257spring
Regular Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Red
Year: 1983

Re: Alternative Engine's (V8) for the Excel

Post by 257spring »

Hello again

After much serching, and adding things up etc, I've brought a second hand 907 engine,
Was going to go for the Jag v8, paint the car black & crome, but came to understand that mine
buget was never going to reach the level required for such an opperation.

So rather than have the car endlessly sitting in the drive awaiting funds, I've made the
practical choice.

But there's no carbbies, here's the question, do you need 40's or 45's on the 907 OR are
there things I need to look out for like don't buy the 40's with the H prefix etc.

This engine came out of a eclat 521, really nice looking car in blue.

regards all
Pete.

yroll
Senior Poster
Colour: P02 pearl white
Year: 1986

Post by yroll »

257spring wrote:Hello again

After much serching, and adding things up etc, I've brought a second hand 907 engine,
Was going to go for the Jag v8, paint the car black & crome, but came to understand that mine
buget was never going to reach the level required for such an opperation.

So rather than have the car endlessly sitting in the drive awaiting funds, I've made the
practical choice.

But there's no carbbies, here's the question, do you need 40's or 45's on the 907 OR are
there things I need to look out for like don't buy the 40's with the H prefix etc.

This engine came out of a eclat 521, really nice looking car in blue.

regards all
Pete.
You can take your old carbs unless you've sold them. 40 or 45 is ok but lotus went for 45s on the later engines. so if you want original go for 45s otherwise take whatever you find, it doesn't make that much difference in everyday driving. However you might need to tune the carbs for the engine if you don't go for original!

257spring
Regular Poster

Post by 257spring »

Cheers Mate

I'll look around on e-bay see if there's a good deal going someplace, there's one other thing-
do I need to check anything before putting the engine in, thinking about the clutch, seeing
it's been in a shed for some time?

the 521 Eclat cool car, really good line's, interior's better than mine, plus crome!!

257spring
Regular Poster

Post by 257spring »

Ok not as interesting as the v8 conversion but who cares it's only a car.

must admit the 521 eclat looked good, sharp, small, fast, classic, nice.

[Irrelevant link removed by moderator. Please stop posting links to that site it has no relevance whatsoever on this site]