Cooling System

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

KLM
Regular Poster

Re: Cooling System

Post by KLM »

Hmm I also replaced both caps on the header tank, the front one was really difficult get off/on where as the new on is very easy, I wonder if my new cap isn't doing its job.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Just to eliminate - you do have the pressure cap and blanking cap correct way round?

Pressure to the overflow side, and the blank on the other.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

KLM
Regular Poster

Post by KLM »

the caps are on correctly.

when I just filled it up with water and it worked perfectly there was 3 hoses that developed a leak the top rad hose wasn't tight enough at the rad, the bottom rad hose wasn't tight enough at the fuel pump and one on the otter switch, obviously I tightened them up as I noticed. but I wonder if it was helping to purge air ?

KLM
Regular Poster

Post by KLM »

Hi

I had discovered weeks back that the coolant pipe from the thermostat to the inlet manifold, right beneath the carbs is leaking, the outfit who did my rebuild had replaced the original with something more modern but clearly didn't do a great job of making sure it worked, however I have been trying to get a new genuine one, but the online parts manual only has a code up to my86 where as my car is my90, and sj sportscars only seems to list the my86 one as well.

is there any difference between up to 86 and later models ?

thanks

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

I've got a vague memory of one being straight and one having a slight bend. Hopefully someone will be along soon with a better memory than me!

Pete

KLM
Regular Poster

Post by KLM »

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and- ... E1319F.htm

That's the one on the online manual and sj's site. the one on my car is also straight. so perhaps there was no change to it?

KLM
Regular Poster

Post by KLM »

I just ordered it, for £10 I will take a chance

KLM
Regular Poster

Post by KLM »

just to let you all know, that that particular part does not fit models after 1986. it is too short.

o well , I took carbs off to gain better access and adjusted the jubilee clip so that I could tighten it up better and as such it no longer leaks.

then I ordered a used ford fiesta mk4 radiator fan of ebay for £30 as one of mine is not far off breaking .

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

KLM wrote:just to let you all know, that that particular part does not fit models after 1986. it is too short.
Good to know - thanks

Pete

alanmoss
Senior Poster
Model: Celebration
Colour: Marque Lotus Green
Year: 1991

Post by alanmoss »

MY86 on (912 engines) that hose is part number A912E1896F

Mine leaked a couple of years ago. Well actually it just burst.
Alan
Excel Celebration, 1999 Mini Cooper S, Dacia Duster 4x4

HC180
Regular Poster
Model: Excel
Year: 1991

Post by HC180 »

Hi KLM,
Did you reach a conclusion?
M/T.

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

I've read through this thread before, but I didn't have an Excel back then.
Now I read earlier
antifreeze was "red coolant". In general (but not always), red coloured coolant/corrosion inhibitors are of the 'OAT' variety, which I believe is not suitable for our cars. The type of antifreeze that's suitable are 'silicate based' products, which are (generally) blue in colour.
I know from recent work on cooling I have red antifreeze.!!!!
Do I need to change it?
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

MetBlue wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 20:11
I've read through this thread before, but I didn't have an Excel back then.
Now I read earlier
antifreeze was "red coolant". In general (but not always), red coloured coolant/corrosion inhibitors are of the 'OAT' variety, which I believe is not suitable for our cars. The type of antifreeze that's suitable are 'silicate based' products, which are (generally) blue in colour.
I know from recent work on cooling I have red antifreeze.!!!!
Do I need to change it?
Tony

Probably. I have seen what OAT can do to the alloy on an engine not designed for it. This was a Range Rover V8 (Buick one). This resulted in a scrap engine as it eat away the alloy on the top surface of the cylinder block next to the waterways so no longer able to get a seal with head gasket. I know this is a different design to our engines in terms of waterways etc, but if mine I’d be fully flushing it out and refilling.
I also don’t see the point of long life coolant for our cars as you end up draining part of it every 2 years when changing the cam belt - might as well just do a full coolant change at the same time.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Evans waterless coolant is the way to go. When I drain mine to do the belt I lose a little due to carelessness (< 50 ml)..but essentially all goes back in once the belt's done. No cooling deterioration or alloy corrosion. Fast oil warm-up. Zero cooling system pressure, silicon hoses last forever, no leaks. :D
Peter K