water pump repair kit

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

andy brad
Junior Poster
Model: excel celebration
Colour: green/black
Year: 1991

water pump repair kit

Post by andy brad »

My excel 1991 has done 90 k thinking i may look into servicing the water pump anyone fitted a repair kit in there. got any pointers i have a press andy

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Re: water pump repair kit

Post by AndyC »

I'd say if there are no signs of leak then leave it, and wait for it to leak. They can be damaged by errors during refurb.
I've purchased one that somebody had refurbished, and it leaked when it arrived (not a problem as I purchased it for its casting thinking I may need to re-do).

That said, if you do go ahead. Heat the casting before pressing old out and new in, you don't want to drag any of the ali as the bearing moves against it. Also, bearing in the freezer before putting it in can help.
Make sure that the surface the seal is to go against (deep in the casting) is free of any corrosion / damage.
Don't press the impellor on too far, it's not great to have to try and remove, so trying to back it off a few thou I'd imagine is bad.
Make sure you measure and note down the pulley placement relative to the casting (not to the spindle end), and put it back to the same place. Location varies depending on engine arrangement, and spindle may be different length on the new bearing.

andy brad
Junior Poster
Model: excel celebration
Colour: green/black
Year: 1991

Re: water pump repair kit

Post by andy brad »

Thanks Andy shame i have a new pump and casting but it is the earlier one . how long have you had the celebration excel. pm if you prefer
Andy