Clutch travel

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Re: Clutch travel

Post by bash »

When the peddle box is out you will see where its bent, its near impossible when its in place. Use a blowtorch to heat the bent bit until it goes red and them bend it back into place, it wont spring back afterwards and the one Ive done is still good 6 years later. They get bent because either the master or slave cylinder starts siezing and the effort of someone trying to push the pedal hard bends the short end of the lever, near the slave. Hence like yours the master cylinder actuation rod doesnt then line up properly and binds up.
I use a MAP gas blowtorch, the hottest flame available for a gas torch, and it made quick work of it.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

If you get stuck I may have a spare clutch pedal in the lock-up.

Pete

Zaphod
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Blue
Year: 1990

Post by Zaphod »

Well.. I have the dash out, that was not so bad a job to be honest, although getting it back in may be different. Access to everything is now much easier, Anyone that has got to the top rear drivers side door bracket bolt with the dash in must be very flexible! its hidden behind the bonnet catch, I'd never have found it with the dash in..
I only see two nuts on the bulkhead face of the pedal box, but have seen mention of 4? I've got the clevis pins out and the steering column undone.
Of all the things I have lost I think I miss my mind the most...

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1959 Austin Healey Sprite
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

Zaphod
Senior Poster

Post by Zaphod »

OK its now all out. Turned out the pedal box had also been glued to the bulkhead, after searching for picture of it I realised everything holding it in was undone so placed a wide masonary chisel between the top face and the body, and one tap and it fell down.
The pedal lever itself was twisted along the top between the two pivot bearings and bent on the outer section. The pin took a fair bit of work to get out. I put it back in and clamped one side in the vice and twisted it back into shape, and suddenly the pin dropped all the way in, and now it all seems aligned, I assume section to which the clevis pin attaches should be at 90 degrees to the pin that holds the pedal in?

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

Zaphod
Senior Poster

Post by Zaphod »

The pedal box is back in with a much straighter clutch arm, and the clutch travel looks to be what it should be, so while the dash is out I will hang the doors properly and fit the carpet and I guess while its all out I should re-grease the wiper motor and spindle?.
With the dash out it took less than an afternoon, I can see why some have had issues, visibility is not exactly great with the dash out, must be near impossible with it in

however... I seem to have one long and one short bolt for the steering column.. and it looks like both should be the same?

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel