Coolant level sensor

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

Zaphod
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Blue
Year: 1990

Coolant level sensor

Post by Zaphod »

I have a nice new alloy twin filler header tank, which has no level sensor (Not that I expected one!) how to I transfer it from the original?
Of all the things I have lost I think I miss my mind the most...

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1959 Austin Healey Sprite
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: Coolant level sensor

Post by Pete Boole »

I think they just poke through the grommet - very simple. I'll dig mine out - it may still have the sensor attached.

Pete

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

Yes, it just pushes through a rubber grommet. Just painted my tank and the sensor just pushed out. I put a bit of sealer around it when I pushed it back in.
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

Zaphod
Senior Poster

Post by Zaphod »

Tanz wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 16:30
Yes, it just pushes through a rubber grommet. Just painted my tank and the sensor just pushed out. I put a bit of sealer around it when I pushed it back in.
That worked!. I had some progress today, the car starts, the tappets are quiet and the clutch works. However the oil pressure gauge reads zero, this is annoying. It's got a new sensor, (a VDO 10 bar one) which has two terminals, does the second terminal need to be earthed? the terminals are 'G' and 'WK' but as I recall when earthed the reading is zero, when disconnected the reading is FSD so that would indicate that the sensor earths through the casing

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Zaphod wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 20:36
However the oil pressure gauge reads zero, this is annoying. It's got a new sensor, (a VDO 10 bar one)
The Excel had either a 0-5, or 0-7 bar gauges and need the matching sender, so could it being a 10bar sender be the problem?

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

ISTR that "G" is gauge and "WK" is the warning light.

Pete

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

The sensor SINKS the gauge to earth via the internal rheostat - but sensors are not all wired the same way around internally...

Some senders provide zero pressure at low resistance (as for Excel), others provide zero pressure at high resistance.

IIRC this applies to VDO too (or so called VDO-compatible sensors) I think I have a discarded high-resistance-at-zero sensor in my tool box that I bought off eBay years ago. In the end, I bought a proper one from SJS when they had them in stock about 5 or 6 years ago.

Because the gauge shows FSD with the sensor disconnected, then, with the engine not running, ignition on, the disconnected sensor should show LOW resistance between terminal and case. When reconnected, engine running, the resistance should RISE with increasing oil pressure.
Peter K

Zaphod
Senior Poster

Post by Zaphod »

Ahh,
So I may have it wrong.. however this does not fill me with confidence, as the guage reads zero when the ignition is on, if it was the warning ligh it should read FSD if my understanding is correct and then go to zero when started?
(I seem to recall when disconnected it reads max and when earthed it reads zero). If the rain stops for long enough today I will swap rerminals.
As I defiantly have oil flowing (it came out of the inlet cam cover that I had not tightened up yesterday!) if there is no oil pressure I can only imagine the oil pressure relief valve is stuck partly open, but I can’t see one in the service notes..

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

Zaphod
Senior Poster

Post by Zaphod »

So.. I have swapped the connector to the other terminal on the pressure sender… still zero at idle, however if you blip the throttle the needle moves but stays in the red. Question is, do I have zero pressure of a duff sender? There are no untoward noises. I am fairly sure I can discount a bad earth as they would result in a constant 7 bar reading

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

Use a mechanical diagnostic pressure gauge. This will give you a true indication of oil pressure.

Something like this - https://amzn.eu/d/cPCMNIH

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Zaphod wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:20
So.. I have swapped the connector to the other terminal on the pressure sender… still zero at idle, however if you blip the throttle the needle moves but stays in the red. Question is, do I have zero pressure of a duff sender? There are no untoward noises. I am fairly sure I can discount a bad earth as they would result in a constant 7 bar reading
Wrong sensor I still think.

For incompatible sensors that are wired backwards internally, expect the Excel gauge to read zero/low pressure when the oil is stone-cold. When the oil is hot,( i.e. the actual oil the pressure in the engine will drop as you would expect), the Excel gauge needle will rise IF the sensor is wired backwards internally.
The added complication is that it's a 10 bar sensor rather than a 7 bar, so you won't expect the needle to rise to anything sensible on the Excel gauge even when the oil is hot (75 - 85 C)....and to get the oil hot you must drive it, revving on the drive doesn't put much heat into the oil. iIf it even gets to 40C oil temp just idling on the drive, that would be it, so you won't see much oil pressure rise with a backward wire sensor.
Peter K

Zaphod
Senior Poster

Post by Zaphod »

Looking for a 7-bar sensor seems a fruitless task! I seem to recall reading that the sender was a 10 bar one anyway. I have put the car back in the garage and am awaiting the arrival of a mechanical test gauge, that should tell me if I need to acquire the correct sensor or pull the oil pump to bits. I really hope you are right!

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Hi I have a new 5 bar one if you want to try a diagnose fit .

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/vd ... 081029001c
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Zaphod
Senior Poster

Post by Zaphod »

That would be marvellous! The car is a bit different to when you last saw it!

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

If you can’t correct sender and you confirm pressure is correct with mechanical gauge, then I believe you can use this to match a different sender to the gauge.

https://spiyda.com/fuel-gauge-wizard-mk3.html