Oil pressure relief valve

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

Zaphod
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Blue
Year: 1990

Oil pressure relief valve

Post by Zaphod »

As mentioned elsewhere my oil pressure appears to be very very low. The engine is newly rebuilt but showing zero pressure at idle. When the throttle is blipped, the needle moved to the top of the red and then drops down with the RPM. Oil is getting round the engine as when I initially started it there was a demonstration of the inlet cam cover not having been properly tightened down, thus it seems the pump is pumping oil, and if the flow from the cover was anything to go by a reasonable flow rate at least (while not chucking it out it was visibly leaking!) So while I await delivery of an oil pressure test gauge to screw in I am wondering about the pressure relief valve, if this stuck partially open that may also be a potential cause, but the service notes make no mention of it, and I would be very surprised if there was not one. So where is it? can it be got at? The oil pump drawings show a spring in the centre of the shaft but that makes no sense at all, I am wondering if it's under the big brass bung in the oil gallery that goes to the pressure sensor.
Of all the things I have lost I think I miss my mind the most...

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1959 Austin Healey Sprite
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Re: Oil pressure relief valve

Post by bash »

Using the search part of the site reveals this link that might be useful
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11022&start=30

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Zaphod
Senior Poster

Post by Zaphod »

OK, I have decided to move this to here as my other thread has drifted way off from the original topic.
I have taken the oil pump off, and note two things, the oil pressure relief valve can be opened using pressure from one finger, as it is supposed to stay shut till 80 PSI, I feel that's not right.
The other thing about it I noticed is that there is a lip on the inside outer edge of the annulus, not a great amount but it's there, other than that it looks pretty much consistent with every other oil pump I have looked at on other cars that has been used but was still working just fine. I am thinking I may just replace the whole lot as its in bits and the rotor and annulus are not that expensive from QED

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

I'm planning to build a jig to mount the oil pump housing on to enable the pressure at which the relief valve opens to be assessed - it won't be for a while yet though. Perhaps you could do the same?

Pete

Zaphod
Senior Poster

Post by Zaphod »

Having got the rotor off, is it’s supposed to be a very very tight fit on the shaft? I’d rather not take the aux housing off to put the new one on!

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

I have recently dismantled the oil pump and pressure relief valve.
I was first unsure where the valve is and concerned about using a press to get access to the valve.
Being used to pressing bearings on and off I found that to remove the oil pressure valve the internal spring takes the inertia without moving the retaining cap. I then realised that by compressing the spring to coil bind-up it is a simple job to continue the pressing until the cap releases.
All of this was done simply with my bench vice, using a short rod on the inside of the valve and a socket over the cap to allow this to move outwards.
Very little load is needed as the cap is held mainly by the O-ring, the distributor base once fitted ensures the cap cannot displace outwards.
I replaced the valve spring, very cheap, and noticed it was somewhat stronger than the old one.
Tim Engle has mentioned that if you want more pressure you can insert washers between the spring and end cap.

After all this, I have read somewhere that our engine is designed to run at LOW pressure and high flow, as the manual Rev/pressure rates indicate.
Also I do not know how modern oils perform in our engine.

Dave the cog.

Zaphod
Senior Poster

Post by Zaphod »

Hi Dave, I have done much the same with mine and now have it apart. Where did you get the new spring from?
I have noticed the witness line round the valve does not go full circle which is a little concerning as that would indicate it is not seating correctly I do have a photo but need to find where the microscope software has put it on the ipad,

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

The oil pump rotor has to be pressed off the shaft after removing the circlip - you need to remove it from the auxiliary housing to do this. If you decide to remove the shaft make sure there are no burrs around the end of the shaft after removing the pulley - especially where the woodruff key fits - or it will score the housing/bearing as you withdraw it.

Pete

Zaphod
Senior Poster

Post by Zaphod »

I got the rotor off using a hide mallet and then a puller…seems to have worked, the aux housing is still in place on the engine. Not overly sure how to get it back on, as the woodruff key looks a tight fit..

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

DavidOliver
Senior Poster

Post by DavidOliver »

I obtained the spring from SJS for 6.78 p.s. A907E1323F.

Dave the cog.

Zaphod
Senior Poster

Post by Zaphod »

As I have my pressure relive valve apart, is the valve seal supposed to fall out with the rest of it? I would have expected it to be an interfraenace fit within the pump body but mine is a very loose fit and doe not hold in place at all. The other think is the witness line of the valve is not continuous leading me to think there is some seating issue. And finally which way round does the sleeve go? (There is a ring of larger holes one end and one smaller on at the other and when it all dropped out I did not see how it was orentated!)

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

Zaphod
Senior Poster

Post by Zaphod »

Zaphod wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:51
As I have my pressure relive valve apart, is the valve seat supposed to fall out with the rest of it? I would have expected it to be an interfraenace fit within the pump body but mine is a very loose fit and doe not hold in place at all. The other think is the witness line of the valve is not continuous leading me to think there is some seating issue. And finally which way round does the sleeve go? (There is a ring of larger holes one end and one smaller on at the other and when it all dropped out I did not see how it was orentated!)

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Yep - all the parts come out together. The large holes in the sleeve go at the bottom - nearest the pointy end of the valve.

Pete

DavidOliver
Senior Poster

Post by DavidOliver »

Try this one. The parts are as normally located in the housing.

Dave the cog

Zaphod
Senior Poster

Post by Zaphod »

So the valve seat is not supposed to come out with the rest? (I have 5 parts, not 4!) this is not encouraging, but I guess there is some locktite that will fix the valve seat back in. I have a new rotor and anulus to go in, and a spring on its way along with an olive, gaskets and o-rings for the distributor and relief valve plug. hopfully when that lot is in the oil pressure will exist!

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel