Drivetrain angle

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

SteadyEddy
Verified Poster

Drivetrain angle

Post by SteadyEddy »

Good evening.
I'm part way through restoration of my Excel - chassis is now back together and is looking good in fresh powder coat.
One question, if the bare chassis is dead level, am I right in thinking that engine/gearbox/propshaft and all angled down around 3-4 degrees relative to the backbone?

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: Drivetrain angle

Post by Pete Boole »

The prop runs almost parallel to the chassis but the engine/gearbox and the diff itself are both at an angle to the prop. In theory the engine/gearbox and diff (pinion shaft) should be parallel, with a small angle between them and the prop shaft. When I built my track car anything more than 2° started up some vibration, but I don't know the proper readings for the Excel, and I haven't got a prop in my Elite at the moment to measure it up. In any case the diff angle in the Excel isn't adjustable like it is in the Elite. You can, of course, alter the engine/gearbox to get things spot on.

Got any photos of your resto? :D

Pete

SteadyEddy
Verified Poster

Post by SteadyEddy »

Thanks Pete - I'll take some photos later.

Yes, diff pinion is at 2 degrees relative to chassis backbone. I'm going to try to aim to have the the whole drivetrain from output pinion to diff running in a straight line - that has to be easier on the UJs, right?

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

It's actually important to have a small angle at the u/js - if they are completely "flat" the needle roller bearings don't work effectively and wear prematurely. Thinking about it - you could alter the diff angle by modifying the rearmost carrier bracket.

Pete

SteadyEddy
Verified Poster

Post by SteadyEddy »

I was just about to upload some images but it doesn't look possible on this thread...

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

SteadyEddy wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 19:38
I was just about to upload some images but it doesn't look possible on this thread...
You need to host the photos on another site such as onedrive. Then it's easy
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

SteadyEddy wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 19:38
Set up a Onedrive account (free) and follow these instructions- viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11571