Alternative Engine's (V8) for the Excel

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

257spring
Regular Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Red
Year: 1983

Alternative Engine's (V8) for the Excel

Post by 257spring »

Hi again

what would be the best Alternate engine for an Excel?

Would this fit? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170972955559? ... 1423.l2649
Has fuel injection.

I guess the first thing is weather it will fit onto the gearbox..

A V8 from a range rover, Interested in creating a fast race car type thing. stripped out with a roll cage, I lost confidence in the lotus configuration, tho it's probably partly mine fault that I haven't had any joy with mine.

Pete.

alanbell
Senior Poster

Re: Alternative Engine's (V8) for the Excel

Post by alanbell »

rover v8 engines can be made to fit as can a toyota v8 a lot of work and expense. there is an excel in new zealand with a toyota v8 and elites eclats and excels have all had the rover v8 fitted in the uk.

mds666
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by mds666 »

rover v8... dont do it...

257spring
Regular Poster

Post by 257spring »

mds666 wrote:rover v8... dont do it...
Why Not?

I was thinking a rover v8 fuel injected would make a reliable fast car?

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Post by AndyC »

I've never been a lover of the Rover V8, fine for what they are but I'm sure that you can get an engine giving much more power (reliably) for a lower weight and better fuel efficiency. I know that a variant was used as the power unit for TVRs and you can tune them up using turbos or superchargers and get lots of power out of them but you have such a low starting point (relatively) for power output given the displacement of that engine.

don.hasi
Senior Poster
Model: Eclat S2.2 Riviera
Colour: Black
Year: 1982

Post by don.hasi »

AndyC wrote:) for a lower weight
this is not so easy... The Rover V8 does not weigh much cause it is an all aluminium engine.

Although it is blasphemous to think about to throw out the heart, the soul of the car with the one and only Lotus engine....beside this.... The Rover is not that bad... If the owner has made it properly not with an awful bonet and Strombergs (wüärg) such as the red one in the Netherlands, the white one in eBay let someone think about it.... :roll:
ImageImageImageImageImage

257spring
Regular Poster

Post by 257spring »

AndyC wrote:I've never been a lover of the Rover V8, fine for what they are but I'm sure that you can get an engine giving much more power (reliably) for a lower weight and better fuel efficiency. I know that a variant was used as the power unit for TVRs and you can tune them up using turbos or superchargers and get lots of power out of them but you have such a low starting point (relatively) for power output given the displacement of that engine.

Which engine? which one fits the gearbox? the rover v8 looks affordable and it will fit right? (it's been done) will the toyota gearbox fit the rover v8?

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Can't beat the sound of a 4 pot Lotus Twink on twin 45DHLAs at full chat!

Lotus 912 4 pot virility versus an old git's rumbly Rover V8 :? - I'll take the Lotus - no contest! 8)

It's not about money .... it's about passion! :D Get the 912 fixed and enjoy! :twisted:
Peter K

257spring
Regular Poster

Post by 257spring »

I would trade the sound (on a car) for reliable power performance,

Fuel injection, surly that's gotta be better than endlessly messing around with carbies.

My 912 only revs to around 5000 rpm, that's not right is it?

Trying to find parts that arn't around. or cost to much.

I know a guy who can swap engines, what I'm trying to find out is will a rover v8 fit onto the gearbox in the 84 excel, which is the toyota one I suppose. This is my question.

cheers for any info.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Unfortunately, too many owners and "mechanics" adjust carbs when there is an ignition problem OR they want the engine to run without any use of choke when cold. DHLAs do NOT need regular adjustment. I had not adjusted mine for over 10 years and then I left the car with a numpty mechanic for it's MOT and he adjusted the the idle screws because he claimed it was "running lean". Basically, he had not any concept of the warm up period or use of choke as appropriate ... so effectively he made it run rich when warm, Duh!

Yes a 912 should sing all the way to 7000 rpm as mine does. Yours, though, by the sounds of your recent posts, has long term issues associated with episodes of overheating. Got to say though that when I first drove mine it would not rev at all well....entirely down to ignition related issues and NOT the carbs.

Unfortunately DHLAs / DCOES are universally misunderstood.
Peter K

fueltheburn
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Suzuki Yellow

Post by fueltheburn »

It is for the reason of years of abuse and misunderstanding on how to set up carbs that my engine had probably seen better days.
I now won't give mine the chance to misbehave through a slight change in weather or because a gimp mot tester feels he should change the mixture......fuel injection all the way!
It is natural progression.

I love the sound of V8 but also love the sound of the 912 on full chat.
The v8 though would be nicer to drive at low revs though.

Horses for courses - your car your choice. If you have to bastardise your car to save it from the scrapper do it. People say a v8 is an expensive option but so is an unhealthy 912......the argument continues!

Ozzy_UK
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Ozzy_UK »

I am going with the Jaguar XK8 engine...

i got a Jag S-Type V8 for £1100 with a V8 rebuilt less than 20,000 miles ago, broke and sold the car for £1700

still have engine and fuel system left, using an emerald ECU to run it, and then i got screwed by my builder going bankrupt and have no money to finish the project (so it will get restarted this summer hopefully)...

using the original gearbox and having a hybrid clutch and bell housing adapter made up, custom engine mounts, minimal work...

320bhp in stock form with the cats removed :) (and 28mpg in a car twice the weight!)

got a supercharger kit for £250, should make 450-550bhp depending on pulleys and mapping when done!

Oz

PS:
the jag lump revs to 7500rpm too...
Oran Maliphant
---------------------------------------
Mercedes B250e “Tesla” 2015
MGF 1.8i Steptronic CVT 2001
Honda Civic Type R EP3 2004
Volvo V70 T5 2002
Lotus Excel 4.0l V8 1987 #2470

257spring
Regular Poster

Post by 257spring »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:Unfortunately, too many owners and "mechanics" adjust carbs when there is an ignition problem OR they want the engine to run without any use of choke when cold. DHLAs do NOT need regular adjustment. I had not adjusted mine for over 10 years and then I left the car with a numpty mechanic for it's MOT and he adjusted the the idle screws because he claimed it was "running lean". Basically, he had not any concept of the warm up period or use of choke as appropriate ... so effectively he made it run rich when warm, Duh!

Yes a 912 should sing all the way to 7000 rpm as mine does. Yours, though, by the sounds of your recent posts, has long term issues associated with episodes of overheating. Got to say though that when I first drove mine it would not rev at all well....entirely down to ignition related issues and NOT the carbs.

Unfortunately DHLAs / DCOES are universally misunderstood.
Ignition issues?? what the Amp (which has been changed) coil (changed), the bit that the key fits into? the battery? Not timing, because that was put right supposedly. The dizzy was changed, have a new cap, leads, sparkplugs.

I think this one has been messed around with a lot, there was no thermostat, the choke has been disconnected, there was no box or air box for the oil pressure pipe, the center exhaust box had been replaced with scaffold pipe! So, I'll go for the change if possible..

but still, will the rover v8 (cheapest option by far) bolt strait onto the gear box? Or do you need to get the rover gearbox? Is there some info somewhere on how?

Thanks for the lessons in Mechanics!!

fueltheburn
Senior Poster
Colour: Suzuki Yellow

Post by fueltheburn »

Weigh up how much you think it will cost to get right..... And then buy the white v8 éclat on eBay!!
Really struggling to not buy this so that I have something for summer whilst Ethel is ripped apart.

Ignition on carbs is a minefield. There are lots of vacuum pipes, thermo advance sensor, dodgy wiring, old weights in the dizzy, gaps not set, rotor arm and dizzy cap wear and other bits to fail. This is the reason I have gone throttle bodies. A crank sensor, inlet air temp sensor, throttle position sensor and a few other little ones and you have a fully intelligent system with no pipes or 25 year old sensors to fail.

If you really want to stick with carbs - look at some of peters articles on ignition timing and setting up carbs.

What you need is a long conversation in a pub over a few drinks with someone who knows about carbs and ignition to help understand the complexities and areas for improvement, a tad boring for some but may help you in your direction of choice

amarshall
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

257spring wrote: but still, will the rover v8 (cheapest option by far) bolt strait onto the gear box? Or do you need to get the rover gearbox? Is there some info somewhere on how?
I have to say that the fact you need to ask this question suggests that you shouldn't attempt it on your own, if at all. A V8 conversion is not straightforward as you will need to change the bellhousing, exhaust, ignition system, power steering, cooling system, engine mounts and suspension. If you're going for fuel injection you'll need to change the fuel lines and pump and install a swirl pot.

Each one that has been done is unique.

For your current revving problems - was the timing checked by someone who know the 912 engine properly ? Have you tried it with the rev limiter disconnected ? Have you replaced the "black wire" from the distributor ? Have you tried another AB14 yet ? Are you using good quality leads all round ? Is your coil the correct type ? Are the plugs correct ? Are all the vacuum hoses properly connected ?
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!