Thermal ignition advance

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

swiftcruiser
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Thermal ignition advance

Post by swiftcruiser »

How do you test to see if operating . If I use a strobe lamp when cold will I see an advance in the timing from 10 degrees advance at 1000 rpm that is indicated on the pulley and timing marks when engine is hot. If so what will the advance degrees be when strobe is pointed at marks when engine temp is less than 60 deg C.
Appreciate advice
Regards Robert

barker_001
Senior Poster
Year: 1990

Re: Thermal ignition advance

Post by barker_001 »

Full vacuum advance is applied when the thermal ignition advance is in operation. For the SE the total advance will be about 30 - 32 degrees BTDC, so noticeably different from the normal warm idle advance of 10 degrees BTDC. There tends to be an increase in piston slap noise while the 30 degree advance is in operation too.

Hope this helps,
Bryan

1990 Excel SE

"Look, there's a Ferrari..."

swiftcruiser
Senior Poster
Year: 1988

Re: Thermal ignition advance

Post by swiftcruiser »

Thank you Bryan, using your description able to test valve, works as you described, explains why engine revs change when starting from cold for no previous apparent reason, now I know why.
Next project to see why hydro carbons high on tickover, smell of unburnt fuel, runs ok and exhaust a dark grey not sooty black, and doesn't drink fuel.
Regards
Robert