Moderator: Board Moderators

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Eclat to Excel, when?

Post by DavidOliver »

I have a 1985 Eclat/Excel with a VIN number SCC089912FHD11937 and DVLA Registration Document indicating the car to be Eclat, no mention of Excel.
I have a Bill of Sale for a similar car and sale date indicating that the car is an Excel.
The Vehicle type as indicated in an official code document indicates that the numbers 089 refer to Excel and not the 084 of Eclat.
So what is the car, Eclat or Excel?
To further confuse matters there is an article of September 1982 (Autosport Mark Hughes) referring to the Eclat Excel, with revised rear suspension and gearbox (all Toyota).
Lotus Cars , Customer Service are being very helpful.

May I ask Forum Members to advise me from their DVLA registration whether Eclat or Excel is indicated at D.3 Model, with registration date, to try and establish when (if at all) there is a distinction between the models.

Many thanks in anticipation, Dave the cog.

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Re: Eclat to Excel, when?

Post by AndyC »

The Excel (or Eclat Excel to be precise) wasn't technically a new model, as that way it saved lots of testing and administration. So, it's a an Eclat as far as DVLA are concerned since that's what Lotus told them the cars were.

For all practical terms, owners would likely say, Toyota differential & brakes = Excel, before that = Eclat. But, that's just for clarity since the mechanical components are not readily interchangeable between the two.

Grant H
Regular Poster
Colour: Glacier Blue

Post by Grant H »

When checking howmanyleft .com Eclats span 1975 to 1992 and Eclat Excels 1982 to 1993. Looks like they were being registered as either one or the other for the hole decade.
As well as the Toyota parts the C pillar was given the wider Audi Quattro look.

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

All Excels were originally registered as Eclat Excels - but some owners managed to persuade DVLA to change it.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7158
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

Just checked my DVLA document and it says 'Make Lotus' but the modal is blank. No mention anyware of Eclat or Excel on the document?
Last edited by Tanz on Sat Nov 23, 2019 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

lambert.john
Senior Poster
Model: SA
Colour: Blue
Year: 1987

Post by lambert.john »

This question has come up a number of times. I understand that the DVLA will accept "Eclat" or "Eclat Excel" under the model name but not simply "Excel".
John L.

DavidOliver
Senior Poster

Post by DavidOliver »

I have received from Lotus Archives, a very friendly and prompt reply, the following text which I think is for public knowledge:-

The Lotus Eclat was introduced in late 1975 as a Lotus type 79. During 1980 the Eclat S2 was introduced as a Lotus Type 84. The Type 84 had 084 in the VIN to identify the car as a type 84 Eclat S2. The Eclat Excel was introduced in October 1982 as a 1982 model year, Lotus type 89. The model retained the Eclat name, but also gained the Excel nameplate to identify the car from the previous standard Eclat version. For the 1984 model year the Eclat name was dropped, and the car just called the Excel.

Dave the cog.