Moderator: Board Moderators

carlp
Regular Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1987

Outdoor car cover

Post by carlp »

Just wondered if anybody had a fitted outdoor cover they no longer needed or could recommend a good one?

Thanks
Carl
Carl

87 Excel SE
72 Elan Sprint
97 Alpina B10

El torro
Regular Poster
Model: Excel se lotus elan +2
Colour: Vulcan grey
Year: 1990

Re: Outdoor car cover

Post by El torro »

I have used a storm force one for several years is fitted for mirrors on excel has survived Scottish weather and has straps underneath,coverzone .com

carlp
Regular Poster

Post by carlp »

El torro wrote:I have used a storm force one for several years is fitted for mirrors on excel has survived Scottish weather and has straps underneath,coverzone .com
Thanks..Fitted on mirrors is good as it stops the cover blowing away :-)
I will have a look..

Carl
Carl

87 Excel SE
72 Elan Sprint
97 Alpina B10

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

I too recently bought a Storm Force Plus (better fit plus extra strap location reinforcement on lower hem) for my VW High top Camper from Coverzone @ £325. I thought the extra expense was justified due to the claimed better fit than the competition.

Ordered at beginning of September but didn't receive the cover until beginning of October because they make them to order.

Unfortunately it didn't fit. :( They had miss-described the cover as a HIGH TOP but what they sent me was a cover for a POP-TOP (retracted when driven, raised for sleeping). Not only that, the cover was made for a T5 van and not a T4 which has a different front profile and the mirrors are further forward than the T5. So obviously the mirror pockets were in the wrong place. :evil:

After further comms (phone and emails) plus pictures of the cover half-on, half-off my van, it became crystal clear that they didn't actually have the templates for a T4 High Top even though it was listed on the net! A full refund was offered and accepted.

They sent DPD to collect the cover and it was safely received back at the factory.

So far so good.

After 2 weeks with no further comms regarding the refund I rang them and they said 'Head Office' had been advised of the return and refund promise. I lost confidence in the company so initiated a PayPal case to retrieve the money. PayPal wouldn't go any further without a DPD Tracking Number which I didn't have - nor did Coverzone. Case was escalated and I got my money back last Friday....well it's not actually showing in my PayPal account yet, but I'm sure it will eventually.

Having 'got my money back' I drove to a nearby Cavavan + Motorhome Shop on Saturday and ordered a T4 High Top cover from MayPole for £99!!! OK it won't have mirror pockets ..but atm that gives me a lot more confidence that it will actually fit!

So if you go for a Coverzone cover make sure it's actually going to fit before shelling out! Eg the early Excels have different mirrors to later SEs.

PS. The cover is a grey man-made fabric with no 'textural weave' to damage the paintwork which is good ...but I was disappointed with the appearance of fabric for the money (£325). - My (untested) impression is that looks 'structurally weak (although multi layering should compensate) and I guess it might abraid easily in high winds over time. Also it will definitely melt if it touches a hot exhaust (they do warn you about this).

Also the cover is supplied with a tight-fitting storage bag. It took me and the wife ages to get the cover into a small enough compressed shape to get the cover back into the bag! Phew! Not something you would do twice! So the bag is useless (in my case).

To be fair I have got my money back and now at least I can replace the £99 MayPole cover twice for the same money if it proves to be weaker than the Storm Force Coverzone item.

Best of Luck! :)
Peter K

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Club Lotus have them in their shop - £200 I think for Elite/Eclat/Excel. I'm about to buy one.

ATB Richard

carlp
Regular Poster

Post by carlp »

richardw wrote:Club Lotus have them in their shop - £200 I think for Elite/Eclat/Excel. I'm about to buy one.

ATB Richard
I would be interested in knowing how good they are? The Lotus Forums also do one but they are quite expensive.

As mentioned previously, Excels have two different wing mirror positions, but all the 'fitted' covers I have found seem to cover both types?

Coverdale do a nice looking cover https://www.carcarpets.co.uk/lotus-exce ... 4822-p.asp??

I have a 'Noah' fabric cover on my Elan indoors. It's a nice soft material but only lasts about 3-4 years when used outside (under a carport), it starts to fall to bits after that! I have used them for my 'other' car but am not onto my 3rd cover in 10 years..

Carl
Carl

87 Excel SE
72 Elan Sprint
97 Alpina B10

Gracie
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SA
Colour: Green

Post by Gracie »

I used an exterior Carcoon for many years and found it to excellent. The air inflated bubble provides continuous air through the bubble to ensure the car stayed dry and the electric supply trickle charges the battery. All zipped up, so no chance of hibernating mice! I'm also up here in Scotland, so snow is one thing worth mentioning; a heavy downfall and the bubble collapses on itself; easily swept off and the bubble simply reinflates. The wind (and we certainly get some) never proved to be an issue, until seven years on when the cover finally succumbed in a 100 mph hurricane that I think would have tested any cover and risked rubbing damage. I simply replaced it with another Carcoon, which is still in use on a Polo having today while my Excel luxuriates in her newly built garage.

Probably more money than a traditional care cover, but from my experience. well worth it

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

My mates got a pop up carcoon too and has kept his TVR in there for years and has nothing but praise for it. One thing that you have to be aware of with any cover is that moisture undeneath it can cause problems with the paint like microblistering, the carcoon keeps a flow of air over the car to stop that.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

pistolpete
Senior Poster
Year: 1990

Post by pistolpete »

I bought a Lotus forum cover While a sort out a garage, and I have to say its worth the money. Good straps holding the cover down and a soft internal material

don.hasi
Senior Poster
Model: Eclat S2.2 Riviera
Colour: Black
Year: 1982

Post by don.hasi »

Same here like pistolpete. And the fabric is brilliant. It is important, that it will sit flush to the body. Otherwise it will rubb off the clear lacquer. This is the reason why so many cars have this problem. The lotus forum has the option to choose the right model with the different bumpers, spoilers and mirrors. For instance the MY89 cover didn´t fit the Riviera :shock:
ImageImageImageImageImage