Any special request go here.

Moderator: Board Moderators

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

New Year - New parts

Post by amarshall »

Well, BAVvy almost survived the 600+ mile round trip to parents & friends (Darlington - Glasgow - Dunblane - Dundee - North Berwick - Dunbar - Darlington) over the festive season, but a few "kinks" cropped up, so can anyone help with these ?

i) Filler cap + keys (my key broke off in the cap at a service area and had to be drilled out)
ii) door hinge pins + bushes
iii) window frames (when we looked hard, at least one of them is too corroded to be removed and attached to the new beam)

I'm about to e-mail Mike T., but if anyone happens to have any of these hanging around......

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

Hi Ian - the pins are firmly seized - so much so that I can't loosen the top nut to release them - angle grinder may be the answer ! :shock:

Fortunately, Mike T. has some "used" pins available so I'm off to see him on Friday - I hate to think what will happen to us all when the supply of Excels for breaking dries up.... :( :) :(

steel-jaw-sasha
Verified Poster
Year: 0

Post by steel-jaw-sasha »

Hi I removed the door skin and then the complete door beam and hinge assembly from the car and then loosened the top and bottom nuts in the vice. The siezed pin only siezes in the bushes ie. at the top and bottom of the pin. carefully remove the washers and shims from the pin, noting their positions, and hit the ouside of the pin at the top and bottom whilst applying penitrating oil. Don't go made with the hammer and be careful not to hit the threads on the pin. Use a copper hammer to drive the pin out.
SJS