Looking for an Excel

Any special request go here.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Cranky
Verified Poster

Looking for an Excel

Post by Cranky »

Hi folks,

I’m actively seeking to purchase a good Excel SE, back in the 1980’s I recall being very impressed following a couple of test drives and promised myself that I would own such a car. Unfortunately life and TVR intervened and it is only now that my interest in Lotus Excels has been brought back to life, shameful I know.
So, time to make up for lost time, I have a good budget of around £12000.
Looking for a later example 1988 onwards.
Prefer dark green or red.

TIA for any leads.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Re: Looking for an Excel

Post by Hawaiis0 »

This may be worth a look if still available. Not red but off dark greenish

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1495405
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

That's a pretty solid budget and should get you a decent one - for now, prices have been on the up for the last couple of years as more of the world wakes up to these cars! As witnessed by a recommendation in this month's Practical Classics.

There are around 200 left on the road, so they do come up for sale from time to time, but you may have to wait for the right one in the right spec to appear on the market.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

Cranky
Verified Poster

Post by Cranky »

Thank you for replies, I’m excited to find the car of my dreams and realise it may take some time to find the right one for me. I will have to find a copy of practical classics, seemed to have missed that on the Excel. Thanks again.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Cranky wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 23:03
Thank you for replies, I’m excited to find the car of my dreams and realise it may take some time to find the right one for me. I will have to find a copy of practical classics, seemed to have missed that on the Excel. Thanks again.

Which part are the country are you living in?
Peter K

Cranky
Verified Poster

Post by Cranky »

I’m in Bury st Edmunds, East Anglia.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white

Post by bash »

Ebay advert, not from me, very late car

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255719503166 ... R6rD8YD3YA

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Cranky
Verified Poster

Post by Cranky »

^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for link Bash, had a look at the advert and car looks reasonable. But what on earth has happened to that leather interior I wonder.Looks like a motor mechanic didn’t bother to change overalls before driving. Shame, search goes on. Thanks again.

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Cranky wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 16:22
^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for link Bash, had a look at the advert and car looks reasonable. But what on earth has happened to that leather interior I wonder.Looks like a motor mechanic didn’t bother to change overalls before driving. Shame, search goes on. Thanks again.
I wouldn’t be too put off by the state of the leather. It’s amazing what some members have been able to do by cleaning and sometimes recolouring the leather - it is very much something you can do,yourself. As long as it isn’t badly ripped or split of course, but even then repairs are possible. Otherwise it looks lovely - almost A1.

Cheers, Richard

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Regards the Ebay car, I wouldn't be too quick to rule it out.
Remember you are looking at cars 30 plus years old. Yes. I agree the seats look very poor, and he doesn't even show photo of the drivers seat, so that must be bad.
But on the plus side, a recent respray and low , potentially genuine mileage. Car has also spent a good amount of the last 15 years MOT'ed and on the road, which is never a bad thing with these cars.
Any car you see that appears immaculate inside and out is almost certainly going to have been resprayed and interior refreshed. Refreshing the interior is not difficult, see here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12213&p=96570#p96570 for my experiences on my car which has the same interior (in fact this car was the next off the production line to mine, and only 13 cars came later), so if it's a late car you want, they don't come much later than this. Alternative to a DIY recolour, there are people out there who'll do the job for sensible money ( unlike a respray).
I'm in Northampton, so this car is not too far away. If you wanted to view it, I'd be happy to tag along and pass comment. I'd say the interior is a strong negotiation point on what appears a reasonable car.

Usual disclaimers apply about having nothing to do with the sale. :D
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Cranky
Verified Poster

Post by Cranky »

MetBlue wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 19:43
Regards the Ebay car, I wouldn't be too quick to rule it out.
Remember you are looking at cars 30 plus years old. Yes. I agree the seats look very poor, and he doesn't even show photo of the drivers seat, so that must be bad.
But on the plus side, a recent respray and low , potentially genuine mileage. Car has also spent a good amount of the last 15 years MOT'ed and on the road, which is never a bad thing with these cars.
Any car you see that appears immaculate inside and out is almost certainly going to have been resprayed and interior refreshed. Refreshing the interior is not difficult, see here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12213&p=96570#p96570 for my experiences on my car which has the same interior (in fact this car was the next off the production line to mine, and only 13 cars came later), so if it's a late car you want, they don't come much later than this. Alternative to a DIY recolour, there are people out there who'll do the job for sensible money ( unlike a respray).
I'm in Northampton, so this car is not too far away. If you wanted to view it, I'd be happy to tag along and pass comment. I'd say the interior is a strong negotiation point on what appears a reasonable car.

Usual disclaimers apply about having nothing to do with the sale. :D
Tony
Thank you so much for advise and generous offer to have a look at this car with me, much appreciated.
Also thanks to RichardW for also good advise.
On view of this I will re-consider and keep an eye on this particular Excel. However I am still nervous, the car has a MOT history which to me suggests a ‘repair when fails’ approach perhaps. Also a complete respray required with that interior is still shouting to me perhaps ‘not as loved in earlier years’ .
As a newbi just starting my search maybe I need to settle and learn from in here what to expect and adjust my expectations accordingly. Budget wise I need to learn what is reasonable value and again benefit from the experiences in here.
Thanks again. Really looking forward to the pleasure of a Lotus, wish I had done so years ago!!

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white

Post by bash »

You wont get a car that looks brand new on your budget but what you will get is one that you can easily improve towards that aim. Although Excel values are going up they still are not valuable enough for full restorations that then get sold. The members who do spend serious money will never sell thier cars. If you are only into an Excel for a short term then finding your car may be difficult, but most find that they get under your skin and keep them a long time hence good ones are hard to find. Good luck dude, you wont regret it.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Cranky
Verified Poster

Post by Cranky »

bash wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:28
You wont get a car that looks brand new on your budget but what you will get is one that you can easily improve towards that aim. Although Excel values are going up they still are not valuable enough for full restorations that then get sold. The members who do spend serious money will never sell thier cars. If you are only into an Excel for a short term then finding your car may be difficult, but most find that they get under your skin and keep them a long time hence good ones are hard to find. Good luck dude, you wont regret it.
Bash

Thanks Bash, I’m looking for an Excel that I can enjoy long term, I’ve waited thirty years and need to make up time :D
I’m sure when the right car pops up I’ll be getting my wallet out. Missed one that got auctioned through carand classic web site. Looked perfect for me.

HC180
Regular Poster
Model: Excel
Year: 1991

Post by HC180 »

bash wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 15:47
Ebay advert, not from me, very late car

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255719503166 ... R6rD8YD3YA

Bash

Now on Facebook, with, some different pictures here.

Cranky
Verified Poster

Post by Cranky »

Thanks for heads up.
That interior :o = neglected car. My search goes on but thank you to all in here who are helping me to find my right car.