Moderator: Board Moderators

Lotus520
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Blue
Year: 1990

Late Excel SE

Post by Lotus520 »

Hi to all, I am renewing my years old search for a near mint low mileage Excel SE
As prices have now risen considerably, I’m hoping someone is willing to cash in
I am looking for either a Celebration or 91/92 SE, low mileage, good history, HPI clear that has been kept in a dry environment by a long term owner
I have a climate controlled garage waiting for the right car and am not frightened of a high price.
Cheers

Cliffords
Junior Poster
Year: 1983

Re: Late Excel SE

Post by Cliffords »

What makes you want this car?
That's a genuine question by the way . It seems the interest in this model is still relatively low and prices held back to me . Just be interested to know from someone who is so clear on what they want .

Thanks

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

£20 k on car and classic
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Lotus520
Junior Poster

Post by Lotus520 »

Hi Cliffords

If I find one, it will be my 8th Lotus, I have had many other decent cars along the way, so you could say I’ve gone full circle.
The reasons I want a late Excel is because there is nothing else like them. First off, I am sick of two seaters, which means either the wife or my Son has to stay home ( I don’t do Porsche) Secondly, what other car is available that can offer what the Excel does, Character, Usability, Handling and an Induction noise to die for, not to mention the kerb weight. The cars of today are sterile, overweight and downright boring in comparison. So in a nutshell, that is why I am so certain of what I want.
Regarding the price, I am no multimillionaire but I am at a time in my life that if I pay 3/4/5 K too much for a car that meets my criteria I’m still a happy man. As we get older we realise we are only custodians of certain things anyway.
Cheers

Lotus520
Junior Poster

Post by Lotus520 »

Hi Hawaiis0

It’s a beautiful car, no getting away from it, but just doesn’t quite tick all the boxes for me. problem is, good ones like this don’t come along too often!

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue

Post by rbgosling »

Oh, we absolutely get why you want an Excel, we all recognise those reasons! I guess the question is why so fixed on one from the last couple of years of production? There is very little difference between any of the SE cars (biggest is the change in wheel style), and once a car is 30+ years old the condition is far more important than a few years either way on the age. Options for leather/cloth seats and aircon were available throughout production of the SE.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

Lotus520
Junior Poster

Post by Lotus520 »

Hi Rb Gosling
I guess it’s just personal choice regarding the different variants, I feel the late cars are just that bit more accommodating, plus I love the later wheels and the proper (original) badges on the door pillars, I also like S2.2 Eclat with the Galv chassis and decent gearbox, like I say, it’s just down to personal taste

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Lotus520 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 18:41

.... I feel the late cars are just that bit more accommodating, plus I love the later wheels and the proper (original) badges on the door pillars,....
All transferrable to earlier cars.

You will find fewer and fewer coming up as they become scarcer, and owners that have them usually keep them until their backs and knees don't let them get in anymore. So dead man shoes really. I've just entered 10 years of ownership and i've only got one dodgy knee at the moment so you're out of luck here :)

It will be a case of snooze you loose.

Stu

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

I am looking for either a Celebration or 91/92 SE, low mileage, good history, HPI clear that has been kept in a dry environment by a long term owner
From the register we're building, I can put some numbers to your search.
There are ONLY 75 cars in the category you specify. 28 off these have MOT's or an MOT that is less than a year overdue. If you take cars that have had an MOT in the last 5 years, you get up to around 35 to 40 cars. The majority of these could not be described as low mileage. It is of course very probably that some of the cars with MOT's that are more than 5 years out of date are the car you're actually looking for (i.e. They are in a collection and haven't been near the road for many years). In this case though, you'll probably be waiting a very long time before they come to market.
If you really want a late car, you could extend your search to include all cars after the last significant product change Lotus made ( 89 D 12981 : Aug 1990 : New Saginaw PAS pump fitted). That takes your target market to 160 cars. I know of 76 cars that have MOT's or MOT's less than a year expired.

The real question is " What do you want to do with the car when you find it?" It's been said before, but these cars benefit hugely from being regularly used - But then you can't keep the mileage low :!: :!:

Food for thought... For what it's worth, I personally prefer the leather seat trim in the earlier MY 86 cars ( i.e. before the perforated leather of the last cars). I'm yet to see perforated leather that does not look and feel like cardboard - and this comes from the owner of a perforated leather trim car.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

I am getting close in age to not giving justice to my 85 Excel, and as part of the pleasure is to be able to maintain the car at relatively low cost with no need for computer analysis nor ABS indicator failure to fail MOT, so have decided to pass the car on to an owner who can enjoy a true Chapman invention.
Therfore part of the sale agreementl is that the owner is to use the car frequently, my car tells me it does not want to go to an Old Folks Home.

As an apart, I realise I have accumulated a very comprehensive group of documents covering Elite/Excel history and of course technical details and tips, all of which would be very useful to a new buyer,,,,but I think I will keep them and let him ask me the questions, will keep me in touch.

Dave the cog.

Lotus520
Junior Poster

Post by Lotus520 »

Thanks for both your replies and I‘ve taken onboard everyones responses.
I’ve had some luck in my search this week and have come across a very very nice enthusiast owned example circa 1989, hopefully something will come of this.
I certainly intend to use the car, it won’t be a garage queen, I just didn’t want one that had been abused by past owners that either couldn’t afford or chose not to maintain it properly, as in “The Last One?” That is currently doing the rounds on the internet.
So fingers crossed that things go well with the car I came across this week
Cheers

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Good luck and keep us informed.
If you want to PM me the reg, I can check if I've got record of it on the register. - Don't worry, I don't need another one :D Two is enough unless your name is Alan
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

MetBlue wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:03
Two is enough unless your name is Alan
Tony
Oy!! I consider that Alanist!! :lol:

As they say - how many Lotus are too many?
Answer:-
One more than you have now !!!!
Last edited by Alan_M on Sun Feb 26, 2023 00:09, edited 1 time in total.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Alan_M wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 23:21
MetBlue wrote:
Tony

As they say - how many Lotus’ are too many?
Naughty boy with the apostrophe! 10 hail Marys and 1 self flagellation

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Hawaiis0 wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 23:40
Alan_M wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 23:21
MetBlue wrote:
Tony

As they say - how many Lotus’ are too many?
Naughty boy with the apostrophe! 10 hail Marys and 1 self flagellation
So you’re letting me off lightly then !!! At least it wasn’t the Spanish Inquisition !!!