I need a section of roof to replace an old aftermarket sunroof, can you help

AndrewWebber
Regular Poster
Model: Elite S1 503, Plus 2, Europa '
Colour: Gold
Year: 1979

Re: Elite roof

Post by AndrewWebber »

Not sure if you saw this spotted/uploaded by Bash. This guy cut the roof off his, and didn't need it again, not sure how you would track him down....

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12806

Andy

Gray14
Junior Poster
Model: Eclat 2.2
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1981

Post by Gray14 »

You could make a mould from your roof top just behind the old sunroof opening. The shape of the roof should not be too different from the section in front.

You could then mould a new roof section from this and cut it to size to fit the sunroof cut out and bond it in place.

Or you could fit the 1st mould in place over top of the sunroof opening and then lay in the gel coat and glass fibre resin to form a new roof section. Could be a bit messy glassfibre-ing upside down.

You'd need to use release agent/wax/PVA and chamfer the underside around the sunroof opening. I'd be tempted to check whether a some hardboard or metal sheet might form the mould without distorting as the roof is fairly constant in cross section and it might save a bit of work making a mould.

pistolpete
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1990

Post by pistolpete »

AndrewWebber wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 16:37
Not sure if you saw this spotted/uploaded by Bash. This guy cut the roof off his, and didn't need it again, not sure how you would track him down....

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12806

Andy
I did track him down and he currently thinks he's going to sell the whole lot together !!!

pistolpete
Senior Poster

Post by pistolpete »

Gray14 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 16:59
You could make a mould from your roof top just behind the old sunroof opening. The shape of the roof should not be too different from the section in front.

You could then mould a new roof section from this and cut it to size to fit the sunroof cut out and bond it in place.

Or you could fit the 1st mould in place over top of the sunroof opening and then lay in the gel coat and glass fibre resin to form a new roof section. Could be a bit messy glassfibre-ing upside down.

You'd need to use release agent/wax/PVA and chamfer the underside around the sunroof opening. I'd be tempted to check whether a some hardboard or metal sheet might form the mould without distorting as the roof is fairly constant in cross section and it might save a bit of work making a mould.
Ok good plan if I cant get a roof section, how do you get a mould assume there are rubber type packs, never done anything like that before

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

You probably don't need to make a mould at all - if you put some hardboard below the sunroof opening and brace it gently from below (perhaps use wedges under wooden props) it would probably conform accurately enough to the shape to just lay up the layers from the top. Use some peel ply on the hardboard. Feather the edges of the sunroof area - at least an inch all round to allow a good bond. Finish with flowcoat on top if you want to. For extra strength you could use epoxy resin (you need powder-bound chopped strand mat for this), which would bond to the existing roof better than polyester as well.

Interesting project!

Pete

Gray14
Junior Poster
Model: Eclat 2.2
Year: 1981

Post by Gray14 »

"Ok good plan if I cant get a roof section, how do you get a mould assume there are rubber type packs, never done anything like that before"

Plenty of info on YouTube. You could use self tapping screws or pop rivets to hold the support sheet in place. Use some plastic sheet or aluminium foil so the glassfibre doesn't bond to the support.

Glassfibre kits available on Ebay and Halfords, but you may need extra glass strand matt.

These suppliers are in Didcot:

Gazechim Composites
Baptist House, 129 Broadway
Didcot, Oxford, OX11 8XD

tel : +44 (0) 1235 432610
https://www.gazechim-composites.co.uk/catalogue/

TonyL
Junior Poster
Model: Excel/Elite project
Colour: Red/Red (for now)

Post by TonyL »

If you really want to research this thoroughly, I keep seeing the same book being recommended: How to restore fibreglass bodywork, by Miles Wilkins. The book has a picture of an Elite on the front cover. It's available second hand on ebay, but it's very pricey (which makes me think it must be good).

AndrewWebber
Regular Poster
Model: Elite S1 503, Plus 2, Europa '
Colour: Gold
Year: 1979

Post by AndrewWebber »

Miles, a.k.a. 'Fibre glass Services' is a top (but now old) guy. His book on the 'Lotus/Ford' twin cam is the bible for that and in the 70's 80's 90's he was the guy for high end fibre glass repairs, he is still around and still has some OEM spare parts for 'special customers' and will 'advise for a fee' on repairs (mechanical and body) for others to execute. He happened to do most of the servicing / a chassis change / and an engine build etc. on my Elite over some 35 years for it's previous owner which I think helped it 'survive'. I hope to visit him in Chichester, soon so he can talk me though some more of the history of the car.

Marten
Regular Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red
Year: 1985

Post by Marten »

TonyL wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 15:45
If you really want to research this thoroughly, I keep seeing the same book being recommended: How to restore fibreglass bodywork, by Miles Wilkins. The book has a picture of an Elite on the front cover. It's available second hand on ebay, but it's very pricey (which makes me think it must be good).
I'd check out the boat builders

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

The Excel body section top half was moulded with formwork on both sides of the fibreglass resulting in a smooth upper surface.
To acheive the same smoothness on a new roof panel you need to cast on a mould placed upside down.
To make the mould you need a very good friend with a non sunroof Excel.
Perhaps Lotusbits are worth a chat, either with a second hand roof or to make the mould.

Dave the cog.

pistolpete
Senior Poster

Post by pistolpete »

cheers everyone I will try for a roof section for another week , but in the mean time I am watching boat repair stuff on youtube and start to feel a little more comfortable about making a section of roof