Value your Excel if you dare!

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Ray-s
Regular Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: calypso red
Year: 1988

Re: Value your Excel if you dare!

Post by Ray-s »

:shock: chris sounds way to low :o Ray............
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Ray...
Why is there always bits left over ?

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Another one for the reference list. £8980
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Excel- ... SwW~pb5w~F
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Lotus Jim
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Pearl White
Year: 1990

Post by Lotus Jim »

A few Excels not on the list which are currently for sale which might help people gauge prices. Please note that I have cut a paste key sections from the adverts below:

1) 1984 Lotus Excel 2.2 - 41,000 miles from new - with a dealer for £14,000 - looks very original. Pre wheel arch blisters with the really cool Toyota Supra wheels. Currently on Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1984-LOTUS-2 ... :rk:2:pf:0

Notes from Seller: this car has been cherished for many years and is in totally unmolested condition it is like a time warp, 34 years old and still in as original condition as is possible, great body condition and the interior is the same, if I'm critical then I would say the alloys could do with a refurb only due to age not damage, but I prefer the originality. There's an extensive history with the car, the original owners green LOTUS folder and a new MOT. This car has been stored inside all its life so no water ingress, the engine runs smooth and responsive and sounds great too mot'd to November 2019 it passed with flying colours and is now in sore, it had a service last year and done no miles since only stored.

2) 1988 Lotus Excel 2.2 - 68,000 miles - 1988 Lotus Excel 2.2 1988 E Plate - Metallic Racing Green with Cream Interior, original book pack with service books. Looks like a private seller - Currently at £3,750 on eBay (non bids).

Notes from Seller: - Service book is stamped up to 42000 upto 1992. Needs the following work - Headlight bowls need to be replaced, Carbs Setting Up, MOT, Seat belt need to be bolted onto B pillar (! Sounds a bit odd to me) - Car starts and drives fine however need to change the cam belt due to unknown age. Oil changed 18 months ago and not been used since. The previous owner had the car painted. The paint is not perfect and the car does have a series of marks over it . It is presentable tho and not indeed of a respray in my opinion. The car has had a new windscreen and four new tyres

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Excel- ... :rk:4:pf:0

3) 1989 Lotus Excel (Eclat) 2.2 5 speed (Looks non SE to me) - 77,000 miles. Monaco white with Beige interior - With Dealer for £9,995

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-Lotus-E ... :rk:2:pf:0

Notes from Seller: Totally stunning condition inside and out, Beautiful underneath and exceptionally solid , Drives superb and sounds amazing, 77000 miles with service history, Only covered about 1000 miles since the cambelt was replaced, New tyres all round, Stainless steel exhaust.

4) 1986 Lotus Excel 2.2 5 Speed - 57,000 miles - Green, Beige Interior. With Dealer for £10,995

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Excel- ... :rk:6:pf:0

Notes from Seller: 1986 Lotus Excel SE with 57100 miles and 3 previous owners from new. The current owner, who we are selling the car for, has refurbished the car from front to back with no expense spared. Literally 1000s have been spent. The car has seen very little use since the work has been done and comes with a current MOT till May 2019.
Body - Very clean and tidy with no cracks or nasty marks. The car was fully stripped and repainted including under the bonnet, door shuts etc. The paintwork is lovely and this car would sit happily alongside the best of them.
Interior - Very clean and tidy. The dash binnacle centre console have all been retrimmed.
Mechanicals - Car runs and drives very well and is very tight. The following new parts were fitted:
Gaz adjustable suspension
Calipers
Discs n Pads
Braided Hoses
Diff seals
Stainless Caliper Bolts
Rear End Bushes
Stainless Exhaust
Brake Pipes
Steering rack
Toyo proxy tyres
Track rod ends
Ball Joints Upper and Lower
Anti Roll Bar Bushes
Double Cooling Fans
Water Pump
Timing Belt
Plugs
Windscreen
In addition the Upper and Lower wishbones, Wheels, Rocker Covers and Front arms have all been powder coated. The radio and speaker system have been upgraded and the carbs refurbed. We appreciate there are cheaper examples on the market but to get them to this standard would cost more than what we are asking for this car.

5) 1981 - Lotus Eclat S2.2 - 69,000 miles - Project Car in White Primer - Runs and Drives - £3,500

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-eclat- ... :rk:1:pf:0

Notes from Seller: 69000 miles, Original Workshop manual. Lots of paperwork with car and original promotional leaflets. Car has been lying for a couple of years. Has recently had timing belt replaced. All electric gone through by ex Lucas engineer and everything works as it should. Car was painted in white primer ready for respray but this was never completed car was originally Green. Not a lot of work to make nice driver, Need new bonnet release cable and one rear driveshaft replaced as it is clicking. I have replacement shaft.

6) 1986 Lotus Excel SE - 81,500 miles - £14,995 with Dealer

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... red&page=1

Notes from Seller: Orion solutions are proud to offer this near concourse LOTUS EXCEL SE in red . The car has been maintained regardless of cost over the years and has only covered 81589 mils from new. As you probably know the SE was launched 1985 with the more powerful engine. changes to the SE s bodywork consisted of redesigned bumpers and a slightly more flared wings, along with revamped interior. Included with this particular car is an extensive history file including old bills/mot etc. We have the original service book all stamped all sets of keys with recent work by the previous owner including , engine and gearbox removed to detail. new clutch inc master and slave cylinders . new cam-belt and tensioners. original 45 dhla dellorto carbs rebuilt by eurocarb. front and rear suspension removed, cleaned, powder coated and re fitted with new bushes and wheel bearings all round. front and rear brake calipers,disks and pads replaced including master cylinder. new radiator. headlining and sun visors replaced. alloy wheels professionally refurbished. The condition of the car has to be viewed to appreciate as not only is all the body in exceptional condition whilst not suffering from any gel or stress marks the complete car as a package is incredible.

7) 1987 Lotus Excel SE - Red with Cream Leather - 39,000 miles (believed correct) £5,750 -

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1080801

Notes from Seller: 1987 Calypso Red Excel SE with full cream leather interior. 4 Owners from new (same family owned from 1989 to 2017). Mileage of 39000 believed correct. I have the history from new (supplied by Norfolk Motor Co) and all the old MOTs which seem to support the low mileage. Highly original condition, great bodywork (no damage), window frames in super condition, leather in great condition and paintwork is in very reasonable order - never repainted. Reluctant sale as I have lost my spare garage storage space.

8) 1981 Lotus Eclat S2.2 - Monaco White (Looks Stunning!) - 56,000 miles - £14,995

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1065344

Notes from Seller: Newly refurbished - Registered 1 August 1981. Monaco White Original Colour
Manual steering and no air con, Full 4 Seater, Lotus 2.2 Litre Twin Cam 16V Engine, 160 bhp 160 lb ft torque, 58,635 miles from new, Speedline alloy wheels, Galvanised chassis, radius arms and lower links., Electric windows and door mirrors, Electrically operated headlamps, Stainless Steel Exhaust System, Retro style radio with bluetooth and aux input, Battery cut off switch

New parts fitted in refurbishment:- Respray in original Monaco White, Gates cambelt, Tensioner bearing, Fan belt, Spark plugs, Silicone cam cover gaskets
Carbs rebuilt
Inlet manifold O rings
Air filter
Oil and filter changed
Full set of silicone water hoses
HEL braided brake hoses F/R
Brake pads
Rear Springs
NOS front Spax gas adjustable shocks
Anti roll bar to lower link poly bushes (SJS)
Anti roll bar to chassis poly bushes (SJS)
Trunnion kit fitted
Front wheel bearings
Underbonnet sound deadening foam (SJS)
Underbonnet air deflector (SJS)
Bonnet gas strut
Coverdale full carpet set
Under carpet sound deadening
Headlining material (SJS)
Retro style radio
Aerial
Battery (4 Year Warranty)
Battery cut off switch
Full respray in factory Monaco White
New black vinyl roof
Decals and waist trim replaced
Boot carpet
Door and boot seals
Newly refurbished external aluminium/chrome trim
Door beams, brackets and pins
Wiper blade
Windscreen
12 months MOT
1990 Lotus Excel
Previously Owned - 1991 Lotus Excel Celebration in Red
1998 Lotus Elise S1

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Just got my insurance valuation back from Club Lotus. I gave them a very detailed history of the car, my long period of ownership and log of the workdone with all the mods ( V8 etc ) and was honest in my assessment with lots of good photos to back it up, came back at £10,000. There are only about 120 of these left on the road so they are getting quite rare now.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Thread reactivation!!!!

I'm thinking of getting an agreed valuation on my insurance this year.
What sort of figure should I be thinking?
Spec in short :
MY 91 in silk red with full leather.
Full professional engine rebuild 5000 miles ago.
Leather : repaired and recoloured
Paint : respectable, but not a professional respray.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

I used club lotus because its unlikely that there would be any quibbles in an unfortunate event because insurance values would be argued if you guess. Mines at £10000 still from them, but it could be worth more. I saw a fully restored one the other night and I think it should be worth £20000, it looked brill, like a brand new one.

Bash

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

You need the value to be able to cover any possible damage. I have mine agreed at 12k. Under cut and you will lose the possibility of recovering a car should the nasty happen
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

hodders
Senior Poster
Model: Excel Celebration
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1992

Post by hodders »

Been on this forum for almost 15 years (others will be even longer) and I know from gut feel that Excel (and Elite) prices are higher these days, especially for the rarer, low mileage, well-maintained, lotsofhistory ones. The basket cases can be obtained for a few thousand (hundreds?), as they always have been.
Club Lotus and agreed valuation for my car is more than I paid for it, so I'm hanging onto mine for the forseeable future.
-- hodders

1992 Lotus Excel Celebration, Calypso Red
2021 BMW i3s, Blue Ridge Mountain
2020 Jaguar I-Pace, Eiger Grey

JB455
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by JB455 »

I just came across this thread as I dig deeper into this site. To be completely honest, the only reason I ended up buying my '85 Excel is that the auction I was bidding on ended much lower than I expected. To be fair though- this is a car that is almost completely unknown in the US and it is RHD, which I have to believe scares off a lot buyers in the US. I paid just under $7500 USD plus auction fees, so around $8k- which I consider a steal. The previous owner was asking for $11k USD before the no reserve auction. For reference, I would call the car a nice driver- looks good and runs well, but could use a little TLC here and there.
Someone earlier in this thread mentioned the Hagerty valuation tool- which I checked while bidding on this car- and as noted previously, had no Excel values listed. Presumably this is because Hagerty is US based and Excels are basically non-existent here. I also mention this because Hagerty has been my insurer for my vintage cars for the last 20 years, so of course I called them to insure my latest purchase. So long story, short- they didn't have the Lotus Excel in their database. It took them a couple of days research to approve my agreed value policy for $10k USD. As I was blasting down a twisty back road this afternoon and a deer stepped out in front of me- it occurred to me, if I have any accident in this car they're likely to total it, as any parts needed for repair would have to come from the UK.

All that being said- I really think that I could sell the car for 3 times what I paid, based on people's reactions to it as I drive it around a very affluent area with a lot of exotic cars. Double takes, thumbs ups, smiles and comments every time I stop.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Perhaps we need to keep this thread updated, prices are moving on and it helps us all keep track on values. Ive copied this link in.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12209

Bash

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

bash wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 13:06
Perhaps we need to keep this thread updated, prices are moving on and it helps us all keep track on values. Ive copied this link in.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12209
Bash
Good thinking Bash.

My current thinking (hope!) is that the value of concours, newly-restored Elites could set the ceiling and push derivatives upwards. The Elite is the ultimate hands-on Chapman/Winterbottom version (the Daddy) and IS the spirit of the Lotus Grand Tourer concept (ala Espada).

For example, a PROPER concours, ultimate-version, 1982 Elite 2.2 503/504 in the best trim/colour combination should now be acheiving £20+k when compared to the higher values of the main classic Lotus lines, Esprit, Elan, Elise S1 (now a classic). At the other end of the (wedge) Grand Tourer time-line, a concours 1992 Excel Celebration (red or green) should acheive very near the concours Elite ceiling too. Everything else would find it's own level below those values with maybe an uplift for examples with highly developed 900-series engines (eg a 2.5L 912).

Once you see concours Elites acheiving £20K+ the market will really sit up and take notice.

So come-on Pete B. we're relying on you to set the ceiling! :D
Peter K

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

It won't be completely finished but I'm really going to try and get it to LITP next year! :D

Pete

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Pete Boole wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 15:49
It won't be completely finished but I'm really going to try and get it to LITP next year! :D

Pete
Say that again in 10 days :D :lol:

Anyone know how to share a spreadsheet? I got some data for prices

Can you see this link?

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AqnInSYsXaDWhSyNpuc ... X?e=ba3CfO
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

That's just mean Stu!! :lol:

Pete

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Hawaiis0 wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 18:16
Anyone know how to share a spreadsheet? I got some data for prices

Can you see this link?

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AqnInSYsXaDWhSyNpuc ... X?e=ba3CfO
Link works for me.
I can see the spreadsheet directly in the tab but that's maybe 'cos I have a Microsoft 360 subscription?
Would non-subscribers have to download the spreadsheet rather than seeing it in the browser?

Great that you are collecting this data Stu.

In Sheet1 (prices), are these sold values, asking prices, or a mixture?
Peter K