83 Excel from from Finland

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Re: 83 Excel from from Finland

Post by richardw »

Osku wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:36
By the way I have Protech shocs at the moment.
I will put a picture if them on thelotusforums.
Just if you have any knowledge on the qualiti and propper adjustment.
Start with 11 clicks at the front, and 7 at the rear. If it feels to hard, back off a click. Too soft and go up a click. You'll soon know when it is 'right!'

Cheers, Richard

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:43
Not sure if you can read this link to my 'readers car thread' as it is on an Imp club members forum
Link works fine. will be an interesting read later. Thanks

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

"Start with 11 clicks at the front, and 7 at the rear. If it feels to hard, back off a click. Too soft and go up a click. You'll soon know when it is 'right!'"
Am I starting with everything open and closing the clicks or everything closed and open the clicks?

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Osku wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 20:06
"Start with 11 clicks at the front, and 7 at the rear. If it feels to hard, back off a click. Too soft and go up a click. You'll soon know when it is 'right!'"
Am I starting with everything open and closing the clicks or everything closed and open the clicks?
Start with the adjusters fully anticlockwise, then adjusting them in a clockwise direction stiffens the damper settings.

Richard

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

Tnx I will try that.

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

I toke the pasanger lock and dorhandle out today and the problem was an thread insert that was lose i glued it back with baking soda and superglue that should do the trick.

tonypoll
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: BRG
Year: 1992

Post by tonypoll »

I fitted Protech dampers front and rear 10 years ago.
It was suggested by SJSportscar, who supplied the dampers: 9 front, 6 rear (1 being the softest, and 13 the hardest) to give the same performance as original factory fitted dampers.
I experimented and currently have both front and rear set to 6 clicks, which suits my driving style.
I don't do track days etc, so your preferences may differ.
Tony

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

I will start with adjusting the shocks I have to se how they work sounds like they are just adjusted wrong.

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

One thing I notised when I was under the car was that the GRP underside is an wery strange color of tan/beige were all the bodys like that?
I would have expected gray or black or alike not Beigish brown.
I would like it to be in exterior colr but if that is as it came from the factory I will leave it as it is.

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

I got a set of new wheels and tires fited last week but sadly one of the new refurbished wheels was crocked. So I have to refurbish an new one. It wobled a bit and neede more weights than could be fitted. I will bring a pair of my old wheels for refurbishing on monday. Luckily I bought two extra tires as I tend to do now days form my cars so I can put them on before I take the wobly one off. I'm at the moment speaking with the seller to figureout how we will handle this.
I have been dayly driving my car now togather with my Triumph and they both runs solid, I like the excel better day by day. It is usually so for me that I have to own the car for a year before I fixed all the reason why they where sold in the firstplace I feel I'm getting there with the Excel.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

I bought a second set of wheels for our Audi to fit winter tyres and was amazed that they were "as described" by the fleabay seller! They were much better than I expected. Shame about yours Osku.

Pete

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

I have been trying to figure out how the boot lid springs should be mounted, I only have one left and it makes an horible squiq when opened. This has been as long as I have had the car but as last sommer the trunk smeld of petrol it was any way useles but now that it seems that the smel is disapearing and I am using the trunk it is starting to anoy me. Any sugestions what is wrong. The spring and the hing make the sound when they rub agains one and other but hy they do it in such a manner is a mystery to me. I did disasemble the the spring and also tried to fit it to the other side but that did not solve it. Any sugestions?

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

Not sure if this helps. My car is an 1988 but this is how my springs look. Has always worked perfectly - Damm! now I've done it!

Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

jeff.fenton
Senior Poster

Post by jeff.fenton »

I had an early Excel with bad boot droop. I found the springs,(if that's what they're called), were of narrow diameter, and were replaced by similar but thicker diameter ones, I believe when the boot had a spoiler fitted, hence heavier. I found on EBay a rough complete late boot for sale seriously cheap. I bought it and talked the seller into sending me the "springs" with bolts and brackets, and bin the actual boot. They fitted perfectly, and worked a treat.
Hoe this helps, Jeff.

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

TNX mates that helps a lot, now I qt lest know what I'm aiming at.
The thing with the spoiler is right my car did not come with one so I should prooably talk with lorus birs for them to send me a set of HD springs and fittings.