83 Excel from from Finland

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Osku
Regular Poster

83 Excel from from Finland

Post by Osku »

Hi there every body I'm new on this forum and new with Lotus also. I bought my first lotus a couple of months back and I'm geting familiar with the car. My car is as stock as I could find. Well... there are by my knowledge 3 Excels in this country and only this one on sale so that wont say much. I first registered on the lotus forum and the suggested that I would find more info on my car here. So here I am.
I have not jet found out how to attach pictures on this forum so we could start with that. as the first question.

Osku
Regular Poster

Re: 83 Excel from from Finland

Post by Osku »

Here is a link to my car on the Lotus forum for those who want to se it.
https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/t ... /#comments

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

Welcome!

Posting pictures : viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10114
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

RED BARON
Regular Poster

Post by RED BARON »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by RED BARON on Thu Jun 27, 2019 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

Well I have planed to change the timing belt next winter its been changed recently so I thrust it this sommer.
I have been chasing a petrol smel in the trunk. I do not find any wet spot any were and I have dismantled the carpets yesterday. I also filled the tank up to the brim to provoke potential leaks on the sender or tank neck but find nothing. The smell is ther but nothing is wet. I wondered were the breather hose is suposed to be as with the tank in place i only find one that goes to the filler neck and that seems fine. Is ther a smaller one some were on the tank wich i have over seen. Soon I'm at the point were I will remove the tank and replace all the hoses just in case.

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

Welcome to the forum and well done to Bottas in the F1 today!

The smell in the boot is a common problem when the breather pipe rots and falls apart. The link below might help

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5020&hilit=breather+pipe

You don't have to remove the bumper if you can find a way of threading the pipe through
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

Osku, welcome to the Excel Forum.
I see that you already have questions about your car. Locks, carpets, fuel smells, fuel lines etc.
This Forum has been going for several years and the information on the Excel is almost 100% covered
and relatively easy to access.
As a start check out on the Parts Manual. For 30€ it is a very good investment.
If you have the time go through the Previous Posts you will quickly see those items we get involved in.
For new parts we are admirably supported by SJSportscars who have almost everything, sometimes with
a bit of a price lift but certainly a One Stop Shop, and very good service including overseas. Here in Spain
I try to get a list of bits required and then have a single delivery charge.

As you are in Finland, and I expect wet and cold, as a starter I suggest you look at waterproofing doors and windows. It is the reason the carpets have suffered, and door beams and window frames rust up.
Take the door card off and have a look, it is the reason in your case they have been glued up.

Dave the cog.

John
Regular Poster

Post by John »

Hi Osku

I also have a Glacier Blue Excel, it's an 86 model year SE but I think you're right about your fuel lines. Check the engine picture in my following post;

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7488

As far as I know the fuel line from the tank is routed up the bulkhead behind the engine then forwards to the carbs. In my picture you'll see the fuel pipes are braided stainless, the previous owner fitted them and I replaced them with rubber hose soon after I bought the car. I wanted to be able to see the hoses and check for cracks, it's also more like the original.

Cheers
John

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

Thanks for the tips. I have to figure out wich way the pictures ar from the brether but I was suspecting the brether hose just did not find it. might be that it has periched totaly so that would explain it.

alanmoss
Senior Poster
Model: Celebration
Colour: Marque Lotus Green
Year: 1991

Post by alanmoss »

A warm welcome. Enjoy your car.
Alan
Excel Celebration, 1999 Mini Cooper S, Dacia Duster 4x4

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Osku wrote:Thanks for the tips. I have to figure out wich way the pictures ar from the brether but I was suspecting the brether hose just did not find it. might be that it has periched totaly so that would explain it.
Image[/quote]

Hi this is where my line broke. The fuel filler neck is obscured just behind my hand. It's only about six screws to renove the cardboard back panel hiding the fuel tank. Very easy to remove and stick your nose in.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

Found it! I have bought some new hose and will change it tomorrow after that its just to drive and see does the smell reduse or not. I excpect the trunk to have sucked some of the smell into the carpets and glas fiber so after I have changed it i will wait a while to see how it went.

I did also attend a bit to the ignition lock i posted it on the lotus forum as I have no account where to store my picture.
Here is the link:
https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/t ... ent-838632

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

I got the hose changed I did not remove the bumper but rather showed it behind the tail light for now. I did stuff a good meeter in there so I gues it should be fine (if not then I have enogh hose ther to sort it out when bumper is removed). Is this smart or should I remove the bumper?
Otherwise i got the hose fed throgh the orginal path using the old hose, wich broke 3 times during the prosedure. The hose was realy rotten. i stept on a pice accidentaly and it crumbled to pieces.

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

I did put some pictures from how to change the key on the gas cap lock on the lotus foorum as pictures are hard to attach here.
I'm of the oppinion that my trunk still smels of gasoline, I wonder why is it still residue smell or is ther still an issue to be fixed.

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

Does some one have the manufacturer and number for the airfilter and oil filter and gasoline filter?