Is my power steering working?

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Is my power steering working?

Post by MetBlue »

The steering on my MY92 Excel is quite heavy when manoeuvring slowly. Over about 10 MPH, it's fine. One country roads, it's a pleasure :)
It's a very long time since I drove my Elite ( Non PAS), but IRCC, it was comparable with how the Excel feels.
Other than checking I have fluid in the reservoir and no obvious leaks, I've not started any other checks yet ( was thinking to remove the pump belt first and see if it felt different ?).

How much assistance does the system normally give ( I doubt Lotus would have taken it to the point one finger on the wheel can turn wheels at stands still). Just maybe there is nothing wrong.
Suggestions on diagnostics procedures also appreciated.

Tony

P.S. Was struggling to decide where to put this post. Nearly put it under engine / Gearbox. If someone feels it's better there and wants to move it, feel free.
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Re: Is my power steering working?

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

It's not over assisted that's for sure. Unlike the 501 manual Elite, the Excel steering geo is set-up for PAS. I ran a manual sierra rack on mine for 10 years which was OK once rolling but hard work manoeuvring even though it had 3.5 turns lock to lock. The 89SE-on has a variable PAS quick rack with about 2.5 turns lock to lock and will feel MIGHTY heavy without the pump working. I guess you will know already about the zero Ackerman geo which provides high speed cornering stability but gives you front wheel ploughing on a wide lock when manoeuvring in a car park...the 501 Elite doesn't have that.

A couple of years ago following a PAS rack change my (89SE) steering felt heavy once warmed-up. I tried fluid changes and a LUCAS PAS additive but whilst there was an improvement it still got heavy once the fluid warmed-up and worsened as the fluid aged.. The pump also wined a tad. Ended-up fitting a brand new NOS pump and it's now perfect!
Peter K

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

Tyre pressures?
You can see if the pump is working by looking into the reservoir with the engine runninig, you should see
a swirling flow, get someone to turn the steering wheel and you should see a stronger flow.
This does not mean that the pump is achieving sufficient pressure.
Otherwise find a friend with a similar car.

Dave the cog.

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

DavidOliver wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:26
...Otherwise find a friend with a similar car.

Dave the cog.
Wonder where you'd find one of those near Northampton??? :wink:

If it wasn't working at all, it would be VERY heavy at low speeds. I've experienced this, as I had a leak at the rack for a while so I kept having to top the fluid up, occasionally it would get so low there was no assistance.

It isn't as over-assisted as a modern car, but shouldn't be a struggle to turn the wheel with the car stationary, let alone moving slowly.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

pompey ice
Senior Poster
Model: eclat excel [skinny]
Colour: ice blue
Year: 1983

Post by pompey ice »

Hi Tony , What are your tyre pressures that also makes a difference
Cheers Ian

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Believe me, if it wasn't working at all you would know about it. Recently my engine cut out on me at about 30 mph and its very heavy even at that speed.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Update.
Tyre pressures are around 27 PSI.
The swirl mentioned about is present.
When I try turning the wheel when stationary, initially it's just VERY heavy and quite a torque needs applying before the assistance suddenly kicks in and then all is good. Definitely have good assistance from this point on. First indication is that the characteristics are different when trying to turn wheel the other direction, but I need to investigate this further. Not sure yet.

I'm wondering if one of the UJ's in the steering column might be tight. Having looked at the parts list, I can see there are 3 in the line, one associated with the tilt system. Tomorrow I'll experiment with the tilt in different positions to see if it affects anything.

Tony

Sirclip
Senior Poster
Model: Excel Celebration
Colour: Marque Lotus
Year: 1991

Post by Sirclip »

Hi Tony,
If you jack up the front of the car so that the front tyres are free, then try manually swivelling the roadwheels back and forth, that should give you a good idea. It should be quite easy to swivel the wheels and rack from lock to lock.
Also, with the front wheels clear, there should be very little resistance when turning the steering wheel. As you probably know, the steering UJ's are often shot. :D Cheers, Martin.

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

With a rack which clicks on to power IMO needs seals checked in the pinion, that is full rack dismantle and complete seals renewal.
The kits are not cheap at 50 pounds, spend time getting the teflon seals back to size before installing the pinion. Jubilee clips and boiling water.

Dave the cog

MrCoolA
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue

Post by MrCoolA »

Personally I’d check and make sure that the power steering pump Is properly attached they do have a habit of shearing mounting bolts and if the pump is sat at an angle that will have an effect. If you have any leak issues I would suggest a conditioner first befor a rebuild. I run mine on lucas Power Steering Stop Leak and seal conditioner FIX RACK leaks all the time and have never in my 16 years of ownership had better feel in the power steering
Previously Jerry (Taylor)
Now "Black Flag"

Lotus Excel SEI1989 253.6hp 190lbft
Lotus Elise S3 1.6. Motorsport Green 2011.

Ray-s
Regular Poster
Colour: calypso red
Year: 1988

Post by Ray-s »

Zero Ackerman geo :| tried everything still get slight judder if I try to turn sharply at slow speed otherwise no problem, tyre pressure does make a difference ran mine at 32psi turned slightly better but ride was very bumpy went down to 27/28 much better ride, so long as I don't turn on full lock seems to be okay to be honest I think I've just about got used to it...Ray
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Ray...
Why is there always bits left over ?

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

Its worth grabbing the pump and checking it is bolted on properly. The bots on mine sheared while I was 5 miles from home. Steering is very heavy without the assistance. But its worth checking the tightness of the bolts as a service item. Once they sheer your into drilling them out etc.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7298&p=53541&hilit=steering#p53541
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Tanz wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 17:19
Its worth grabbing the pump and checking it is bolted on properly. The bots on mine sheared while I was 5 miles from home. Steering is very heavy without the assistance. But its worth checking the tightness of the bolts as a service item. Once they sheer your into drilling them out etc.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7298&p=53541&hilit=steering#p53541
That said, the later cars, post-90, had a Saganaw pump with a better located bracket than the pre-90 Holburn pumps so maybe he'll be better off than ours (my 89SE Holburn pump bracket studs sheared very early-on).
Peter K

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Sometimes. - Is the answer to the thread title.
I'm in the middle of front and rear suspension refurb and clutch pedal straightening but took car for a short drive around the estate the other day, to check the works done todate. - lots of 3 point turns.
Sometimes I definitely had assistance, sometimes definitely NOTHING.
Can't do much investigation yet, as the rear silencers are off and back end of the car is high in the air.
Thoughts please on if it's a pump or a rack issues.

Tony

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

Could be either :roll: . The rack controls where and when the power steering fluid flows. Most likely to be the pump though I'd have thought.

Pete