Vdo Speedo problems

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Vdo Speedo problems

Post by MetBlue »

CHRISYD wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:22
I would get the speedo sorted ASAP. Sounds the same fault as mine (internal cogs for the tripometer were jamming also stopping mileometer recording which used to make my needle shoot around the dial at break neck speeds in trying to push past the little prong that the needle usually rests on until it broke the tip off the needle). Had to buy a replacement speedo. I was going to send old one off for overhaul until needle broke off.
Previously reported, hence the above quote, the needle on my speedo spent most of its time hammering the stop pin from the wrong side! (trying to do a second lap of the dial).
Was thinking about getting a second speedo, but then realised they are specific to the diff ratio, which I THINK is 3.9 :1 on my car, but I'm not sure.
Decided this morning, it was easier to take old speedo out and see what part number it is, rather than start jacking a wheel and checking rotations (that can be done when I start looking underneath properly).
Anyway, it's part no 6016, so I should have the 3.91 diff. Also evident the speedo had been opened up before, so dived in.

Found the magnet had come off the drive shaft. For now I've just pushed it back on a bit tighter hopefully. If it comes adrift again, I'll try to get a small centre punch mark on the end of the shaft to help retain.

It's now working 👍. Needle is a bit bouncy up to about 40, but seems to average about right. Above that, damps down reasonably well, but still has a bit of fluctuation. It's a lot better than before though and very livable. Whole job only took 45 minutes, so very happy.

Let's just see if it lasts.

Should have mentioned earlier, the mileage part of the gauge clocked up OK. It was just the speed needle that was out of control.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Re: Vdo Speedo problems

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Pretty sure folk have tried to "clock" the Excel in the past by running the speedo backwards with a drill. VDO speedos don't like this apparently...
Peter K

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

At low speeds a dry speedo cable can cause fluttering.
With the clock out it is easy to oil the cable, next time you fix the magnet.
You may disturb the sealing of the cable to body bulkhead grommet, great for water ingress.

Dave the cog

kkv444v
Regular Poster
Model: Ex-Excel
Colour: Silk Red
Year: 1992

Post by kkv444v »

Nice one, Tony! If I'd known it was that simple...

Ref the grommet sealing, you might want to look at that anyway as I might not have re-sealed it the last time it was disturbed. :oops:

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Yes, it needs resealing. At least being unsealed made it even easier to remove the speedo.
Flutter is settling down, but I think I'll remove once more and lubricate things better before finally sealing back up.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Terence
Verified Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Black
Year: 1986

Post by Terence »

I bought my '86 Excel SE a few days ago, and for the test drives and the first hundred miles or so there were no problems. Before I set off home to Devon I set the tripometer reading to zero. The speedometer then refused to work.

Going by the previous comments on this thread it appears that it can be an "in-house" repair. Would it be better to send it away for repair? Being a newbie as a Lotus owner (Although my other car is a Caterham Seven R400) I will appreciate any advice I can get!

Thank you.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Send it to JDO you will never get the bezel back on straight. :)
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

tonypoll
Senior Poster
Colour: BRG
Year: 1992

Post by tonypoll »

10 years ago (!) I sent my speedo to JDO (http://www.jdo1.com/) since it was oscillating. They returned it a few days later saying everything had looked fine and it didn't need any repairs.
it's worked perfectly ever since.
So recommended.

Tony

Terence
Verified Poster

Post by Terence »

Thank you both for that, I will send it to JDO.

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

I have also used JDO - excellent service.
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

CHRISYD
Senior Poster
Model: N/A
Colour: N/A

Post by CHRISYD »

Terence wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 16:40
I bought my '86 Excel SE a few days ago, and for the test drives and the first hundred miles or so there were no problems. Before I set off home to Devon I set the tripometer reading to zero. The speedometer then refused to work.

Going by the previous comments on this thread it appears that it can be an "in-house" repair. Would it be better to send it away for repair? Being a newbie as a Lotus owner (Although my other car is a Caterham Seven R400) I will appreciate any advice I can get!

Thank you.
Did you reset it whilst moving? that can damage the internals.
I REALISED YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT A LOTUS!!! Until now :oops:

Terence
Verified Poster

Post by Terence »

No, just after starting, and waiting for the engine to settle.