General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Kitkat
Verified Poster

Post by Kitkat »

Hi
Thanks for adding me.

Currently not a Lotus owner but looking for one. I’m interested in a Eclat, Excel or Elite.
I have owned a few classic cars before, Stag, Spitfire and a Scimitar. I currently own motorcycles, a Laverda jota, Moto Guzzi and a BMW S1000rr race bike.
I have my eye on the Excel currently on EBay, my only problem is I would have to buy it blind as it’s in Devon. It looks good to me an in the price range I wanted to start at.
I’m happy to listen to any comments on it or interested in any others coming up for sale.

Regards

Chris

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: Newbie

Post by Pete Boole »

Welcome to the forum Chris :D. Great choice of bikes - as is your plan to buy a Lotus! Good luck with your search.

Pete

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Hi Chris,

Let me add my welcome!

Brian Swankie does excellent restorations and recently had an Excel SA for sale. Not sure if it has gone but it is worth getting in touch with Brian. His user name is B. Swankie.

Cheers, Richard

B. Swankie
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE Excel
Colour: Both Red
Year: 1986

Post by B. Swankie »

Hi All, yes the SA is still for sale!
Cheers, Brian S.

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Post by AndyC »

Hi.
Hope all goes well with the search. As you are used to old British cars then the Elite & Eclat should have very few surprises as they use those cars as donors for several parts, the Excel uses more of the 1980s Toyota parts. Saying that, I don't think that any are particularly unreliable, in fact I used an Excel as my daily driver for several years with no real problems beyond stupidity (don't drive through a flood that turns out to be higher than the door sills, and don't use non-branded rotor arms in the dissy).

I Haven't seen the car you are/were looking at, but my general advise if it were not COVID-19 times would be to meet a few local owners and compare and contrast to determine what you really want as that can be a lot easier than only comparing cars that are for sale. You'll also get a lot more honesty over the niggles of the cars. There's one dealer that I'd suggest avoiding, not because they're bad cars but they are (hmm, how do I phrase this?) priced at a very different level than other dealers might place on the same car/ a comparable car of similar condition and age etc. I'm sure you'll guess which one if you've been looking. For these, a car that's been owned by somebody who cares will probably be far better than an even more expensive car from a dealer, simply because the little faults will have annoyed the person enough that they get fixed whereas a dealer may not notice/ not do anything unless it's actually broken.

I bought one of mine from Devon, unseen, from eBay. Just called the dealer, asked how much transport to Norfolk, and how to make payment. That was 2016, I still have the car, the only work on it has been servicing and light bulbs. So I guess that worked out OK, but you do take a chance. If you pay some of the car cost via credit (credit card, or clearly use the overdraft on the current account and send funds for the car from that account , etc) then if there's anything goes badly wrong you have comeback (for the whole amount despite what the lender may initially say) to that lender. So, it's a bit of a safety net but chances are you'll not need it.

Regards
Andy

pompey ice
Senior Poster
Model: eclat excel [skinny]
Colour: ice blue
Year: 1983

Post by pompey ice »

Hi Chris ,
Welcome to the forum ,where about are you based ,I am thinking of selling my early Eclat/Exel

thats down in Portsmouth if thats of interest to you

Cheers Ian

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Welcome Chris

Think I know the car you are watching . Silver with pinstrips and toyota wheels.

That is what is known as a narrow body excel and will make a great rolling resto.

Not the SE so will have the 160 bhp 2.2 .

I would say that looks ok for a blind sale at the current price. It will have issues but that is for you and us to play with.

Happy bidding.

Stu
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Alternatively; consider the false economy of a cheaper purchase and look at some of the other cars on the market at double the price but fettled, would also be good buys as you may find yourself quickly up to those figures with your resto.

Take the green SE in Hampshire for example. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274530835896 ... 4530835896 very tidy and looks ready to go. (not mine and no affiliation to the seller)
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Kitkat
Verified Poster

Post by Kitkat »

Thanks for the replies.
Totally agree the green car is a better car and idea all round.
I do have this romantic idea of pottering around the garage improving a car gradually (I’m certainly in no rush)
I would be interested to see the car in Portsmouth if you could send me the details please.
Email.
Kitjbeard@me.com

Any advice is gratefully received

tonypoll
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: BRG
Year: 1992

Post by tonypoll »

When I bought my Excel in 2002 I also considered an Elite or Eclat.
However, many (not all) consider these two older models to have significantly more problems than the Excel; especially non-galvanised chassis, rear brakes, drive shafts, the Lotus 5-speed gearbox, headlamp vacuum lifters, and general electrical bits.
The Series 2.2 Elite and Eclat solved some of these (chassis, gearbox, headlight lifters, better low speed torque).
The Excel addressed most of these problems, and in the 18 years I've owned my Excel it's never let me down. This has included a number of long tours around France.
Just the regular maintenance an older car needs, but nothing serious.
I much prefer the Oliver Winterbottom designed distinctive body shape of the Elite, but I've never regretted buying my Excel.
Tony

Kitkat
Verified Poster

Post by Kitkat »

Fantastic reply, thanks for the information

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

Welcome Chris.
Liking the motorbike selection.
You can't go wrong with an Excel. No body rot, galvanised chassis and easy cars to work on and make improvements as you go along.
My main advise would be to check the door beams are solid and window goes up / down cleanly. Parts are available (beams and window frames) but can get pricey. Not difficult to change yourself, but alignments can be fiddly.

Good luck with your search

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Kitkat
Verified Poster

Post by Kitkat »

Update..

I have purchased the 1985 silver with red interior Excel that was on EBay.
Apparently It’s been stood for 10 years, clutch is stuck, engine runs but lumpy as it’s old petrol etc(sellers description)
I will surely ask many questions if I can’t find any answers already answered within the forum.
I’m not skilled mechanically but can unbolt things and put things back on...

I will replace fuel / fluids / filters and battery first. Then see how I can release the clutch... really looking forward to getting it in my garage..

Cheers

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Congrats on your purchase Chris - I love the narrowbody and the red interiors! Look forward to seeing it sometime.

Add cambelt to your list of initial replacements, unless the seller already did it.

Cheers, Richard

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

Well done Chris! Have you found out how to post photos yet? We need photos :D

Pete