Borroughs gauge for sale.

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

mkelite
Senior Poster
Model: Elite S2.2
Colour: Lotus Yellow
Year: 1982

Borroughs gauge for sale.

Post by mkelite »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114670578140

:D

Ive used this to replace cam belts on our Lotus Excel SA 1987 and Lotus Elite S2.2 1981.

I'm selling everything I have atm tbh. I lost my job in lockdown and Im completely broke. ( and lost my house in divorce a few years back too lol. Everyone has problems ...)

I do not claim state benefits and Im applying for every type of job I can but its getting a bit silly out there.

Regards all.

DC.
Last edited by mkelite on Thu Feb 11, 2021 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Re: Borroughs gauge for sale.

Post by AndyC »

Or,for c £60 there's an offset one in the states. Guess it would do Esprits as well.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kent-Moore-J ... 1196.m2219

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

What are these like with the later HTD (round tooth profile) belts? Can they still be used with accuracy? No good for the blue ones I assume.

Pete

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Blimey, Im sure things will turn around for you so keep your chin up. Stuff can be replaced your health is more important.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

AndyC
Senior Poster

Post by AndyC »

Pete Boole wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 17:17
What are these like with the later HTD (round tooth profile) belts? Can they still be used with accuracy? No good for the blue ones I assume.

Pete
Yes, these do the Excel (and other front-engined 9xx), the only real difference is a slightly different setting, so would definitely give a consistent result which is what really matters.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Thanks Andy - I'll give it some thought!

Pete
Last edited by Pete Boole on Thu Feb 11, 2021 22:47, edited 1 time in total.

AndyC
Senior Poster

Post by AndyC »

mkelite wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 14:28
I'm selling everything I have atm tbh. I lost my job in lockdown and Im completely broke. ( and lost my house in divorce a few years back too lol. Everyone has problems ...)

I do not claim state benefits and Im applying for every type of job I can but its getting a bit silly out there.

Regards all.

DC.
Hi, long time no-see as they say.
Hope things pick up for you. It is really just a numbers game, keep doing what you are doing and it will work out.
My best mate was a swimming instructor running his own business that had private clients and contracted for teaching some school lessons, that all hit the wall early in 2020 before the lockdown officially hit (venues closed as the first govt announcement). He found a short-term part-time job with a supermarket, but 0 hours, then secured a part-time job teaching swimming in a SEN school but that was nowhere near enough money alones as he took it in the belief it would support while re-building his business. Second lock-down put pay to that hope. He's now secured a full time role, but that's taken 10 months.
The point of telling you all that is: Hang on in there mate, it will work out if you keep trying as you are.

Andy

mudmover
Verified Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1990

Post by mudmover »

AndyC wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 20:02
Pete Boole wrote:

Pete
Yes, these do the Excel (and other front-engined 9xx), the only real difference is a slightly different setting, so would definitely give a consistent result which is what really matters.

What is the "Slightly different setting"? I've used one of this type on my 1990 Excel SE and set the cam belt tension to the figure advertised in the workshop manual. I also tested it on a weighted length of old cam belt, - the gauge accurately indicated the weight suspended.

mkelite
Senior Poster

Post by mkelite »

I used this gauge on the Excel and the Elite. Without double checking I am sure one had round teeth belt the other square. It worked fine for both.

I used the setting as suggested in the Lotus Workshop manuals and theres no issue.

I only have the Elite atm which Im hanging on to with dear life.

When I bought the gauge I checked the calibration with weights. It was spot on.

Best regards, David. :D

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Just bought your gauge David :D. Hope everything picks up for you!

Pete

mkelite
Senior Poster

Post by mkelite »

Hi Pete

You are a gentleman.

Thank you very much.

Will despatch by courier tomorrow. Very best regards, David. :D

mudmover
Verified Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1990

Post by mudmover »

mkelite wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 14:19
I used this gauge on the Excel and the Elite. Without double checking I am sure one had round teeth belt the other square. It worked fine for both.

I used the setting as suggested in the Lotus Workshop manuals and theres no issue.

I only have the Elite atm which Im hanging on to with dear life.

When I bought the gauge I checked the calibration with weights. It was spot on.

Best regards, David. :D

Many thanks David, - all the very best.
Peter.

AndyC
Senior Poster

Post by AndyC »

mudmover wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:25
AndyC wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 20:02
Pete Boole wrote:

Pete

What is the "Slightly different setting"? I've used one of this type on my 1990 Excel SE and set the cam belt tension to the figure advertised in the workshop manual. I also tested it on a weighted length of old cam belt, - the gauge accurately indicated the weight suspended.
Actually, thinking about it, for the mechanical gauge they are both the same setting, it's different settings if using the resonant frequency method.

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

mkelite wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114670578140

:D

Ive used this to replace cam belts on our Lotus Excel SA 1987 and Lotus Elite S2.2 1981.

Regards all.

DC.
David, keeping everything crossed for you. ‘‘Tis always darkest before dawn” as they say. I’m sure with your positive and responsible attitude you’ll be a great catch for an employer, so keep in there and good luck.

I feel very lucky to be (at least semi) retired.

Cheers, Richard

TrevorK
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE (Now gone)
Colour: White
Year: 1988

Post by TrevorK »

mkelite wrote:
Sorry to see this, David. I hope something comes up soon.
mkelite wrote:

I do not claim state benefits ...
Why not? You are entitled to them and there is no shame in applying for them. You need something to tide you over. It's not your fault you lost your job. Apply now.
What car is that?