Absolute Lotus Elite/Eclat buyers guide

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Absolute Lotus Elite/Eclat buyers guide

Post by MetBlue »

Nice to see the older wedges getting some promotion in this months AL.
Shame no one from this forum knew about it in advance as a certain. co.uk Web site gets a nod, but no dot net.
Also noted they make several reference to Lotus GT's so really does support the site direction change we'll discussed elsewhere.
Personally I think they could have found better 'as standard' car for the main pictures, but still great to see and read the article.

Today's completion : spot the wrongs in the featured silver car. - other than the V8 engine.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Re: Absolute Lotus Elite/Eclat buyers guide

Post by Hawaiis0 »

I've stopped buying AL. There is little input on GT's so I'm not overly interested now. I havent seen the content, how does it compare to our version on the forum?
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

shaunw
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit GT3
Colour: CALYPSO

Post by shaunw »

I'm considering not renewing my subscription when it expires shortly. Beyond the nice photography the content from the journalists is pretty boring and repetitive. So much more they could be writing about beyond buyers guides and road tests, it's all a bit bland. The most interesting bits are the readers running reports!
Shaun

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

shaunw wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:24
I'm considering not renewing my subscription when it expires shortly. Beyond the nice photography the content from the journalists is pretty boring and repetitive. So much more they could be writing about beyond buyers guides and road tests, it's all a bit bland. The most interesting bits are the readers running reports!
Shaun
+1

Plus the straw that broke the camels back was the Editor insisting he will persist in using the plural Lotuses, instead of Lotus (like plural of sheep)! I know Colin used Lotuses but he can't be right about everything. :wink:
I'm more inclined to go with Graham Arnold's lead on using the plural Lotus, my Oxford educated kids (one English Lit, plus 2 Classicists) agree too!

I think the Editor is particularly boring .. and he's the one that's set the tone of the mag.
Peter K

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

MetBlue wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 07:47
Nice to see the older wedges getting some promotion in this months AL.
Shame no one from this forum knew about it in advance as a certain. co.uk Web site gets a nod, but no dot net.
Also noted they make several reference to Lotus GT's so really does support the site direction change we'll discussed elsewhere.
Personally I think they could have found better 'as standard' car for the main pictures, but still great to see and read the article.

Today's completion : spot the wrongs in the featured silver car. - other than the V8 engine.

Tony
Our previous coordinator is a regular contributor, and possibly also on the editorial board. That's probably why we didnt know about it!

Cheers, Richard

Ric T
Verified Poster

Post by Ric T »

I always thought it was "LOTI" :D

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Ric T wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:16
I always thought it was "LOTI" :D
Yes that wouldn't offend a classicist, and is certainly better than Lotuses!

Having now read the Elite write-up, it's clear that the journo has only superficial knowledge. Although he's made the obvious point that the 912 has more torque than the 907, there is a significant point in the 907 development with the introduction of the E cams around 1976 that made it a better driver than the earlier 907s with D cams. It's that kind of detail that would make it a more useful buyers guide for the newbie. If you've ever test driven back to back a 74 Elite vesus a 76 you'd know what I mean.
Peter K