Ramps or posts

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

pistolpete
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1990

Ramps or posts

Post by pistolpete »

SO I was wondering is there an issue with our cars being lifted by the 2 post type of lift, where the car is lifted only by the body. There is clearly a lot of weight hanging from the body. SO I'm guessing its fine in a short term being repaired way , but to store a car in the air, ramps are the way to go

John
Regular Poster

Re: Ramps or posts

Post by John »

There has been much debate on here about jacking our cars up safely. I've had a jack go through the floor because the jacking points had already been damaged and the steel plates lost, but have since got myself a pair of Quick Jacks which I'm very pleased with. They are basically hydraulic scissor jacks that go under the sills and come with thick rubber blocks to spread the load. I put two blocks at each jack point, close to the return edge of the floor - this is very strong and the car went up with no cracking or groaning sounds. If anyone wants to know more I can post some pics and notes about which model I got and the fun and games with how to get the 12v power supply working. They don't lift as high as a proper 2 post lift of course, but they stack flat against the wall and take up little space when not in use. I would say that a 2 post lift is fine for short periods and gives better access than some alternatives, would be good to hear from somebody with trade experience - do the restorers and mechanics use 2 post lifts, or ramps?

The concerns are twofold. Can the floor or chassis take the strain? Personally I would not jack onto the chassis, I'd use the strong corners of the floorpan with blocks to spread the load. This worked for me. Secondly does this strain the body to chassis bobbins? Perhaps someone else can comment on that one - if all the bolts were screwed in vertically then could the bobbins pull out of the glassfibre? The manual appears to show some bolts are vertical, others horizontal. Again mine seemed fine but it wasn't in the air for days, just a few hours.

Cheers, John

pistolpete
Senior Poster

Post by pistolpete »

If you can post pictures and details that would be great.
However I'm just trying to weigh up ( no pun intended) how to lift a body only up into the roof space by some rope and pulleys, so I can do a refurb/ rebuild or just buy a lift, which is a lot of money. The only ones that have come up on eBay recently seem to be the 2 post type which just feel wrong. Hence my question.

Cheers

Excel SA
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by Excel SA »

If it's just the body and no chassis/engine/drive train then it shouldn't be a problem to store it on it's jacking points I don't think - I had mine sitting on a wheeled dolly I made with some plywood on the corners to help spread the load.

Pete Boole made up a system that hung the car from the door hinge holes and possibly the door latch holes (which bolt to the roll bar (but you'd have to check on his pics)) and then hung it from a spreader bar. The exact details escape me, but there should be pics of his setup around on his build thread and maybe he reposted them on mine??

Neil.

John
Regular Poster

Post by John »

OK, I thought you wanted to elevate the whole car for longish periods. If you want to split the chassis from the body this blog post could be helpful:https://stoneyexcel.blogspot.com/#! All done with an engine hoist and wooden supports under the floorpan - I'd probably over-engineer them just to be sure, not a case of simplify and add lightness unless you know what you're doing!!

Forget the Quick Jacks, being a scissor lift they raise in an arc, not straight upwards. I don't think that would work. Some piccies;

It's a BL-5000SLX-DC model and in the pictures it's not fully lifted, just on the first stop. Full lift is about 18 inches.

Cheers John

pistolpete
Senior Poster

Post by pistolpete »

That's a brilliant blog so impressed by people who can have the mental space to rebuild a car and log it and publish it. Really amazing. The lift info is also great thanks, its deciding which way to go, its a combination of maybe hanging a bodyshell from the ceiling to work on a chassis and having a lift to work under the car for ever more not just the project, or buying a ramp lift, which can do both things. Thanks

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

If you do decide to hang it from the ceiling beware of ratchet tie downs, great for getting it up there, and also great for getting it down......if you only want it down in one go....at speed.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

jonno
Regular Poster
Colour: Steel Blue

Post by jonno »

One thing to bear in mind if thinking of going the 2 post lift route, is that many but not all require a 3 phase power supply. Domestic properties are almost always single phase. However, all is not lost, you can also buy a single phase to 3 phase convertor or invertor as they are called. In any case for safety make sure everything is checked/wired by an electrician.
John,
Lotus Excel 1990, Steel Blue
Lotus Elan S2 1995, Blue

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Obviously a four post lift isn't a great help for lifting the body off the chassis.

Here's mine with the Excel on the top. Head room's a problem in my garage so I could never use a 2 post lift in there!

One other consideration for 2 post versus 4.

You need a really strong floor for a 2 post as the 4 post spreads the load better and is naturally stable. Mine isn't even bolted down. You can move it around the garage with 4 dolly lifts (included with the ramp).

Mine is a Chinese Classic car ramp (narrower than normal) which cost just less than £2K delivered 7 years ago (eBay). The Excel tyre track justs overlaps the ramp edge by 1 inch both sides.
Peter K

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

:idea: Second thoughts .. you could use a 4 post to LOWER the chassis from the body once chassis is unbolted with the ramp raised and the body attached to the ceiling with straps hooked into the wheelarches (suitably protected). :D
Peter K

Skyedriver
Regular Poster

Post by Skyedriver »

Yours looks very similar to the one I had installed a few days ago Peter.
Can't work out how to attach the photo.
(Can anyone advise please.)

There are a few of the TVR guys who have used a 4 post to do a body off job.
Disconnect all bolts etc
Raise entire car,
Support body with cross timbers or strap to roof
Lower chassis and wheel away.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Skyedriver wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 19:51
Yours looks very similar to the one I had installed a few days ago Peter.
Can't work out how to attach the photo.
(Can anyone advise please.)

There are a few of the TVR guys who have used a 4 post to do a body off job.
Disconnect all bolts etc
Raise entire car,
Support body with cross timbers or strap to roof
Lower chassis and wheel away.
Hiya!
Sounds good. Look forward to seeing the photos!

Read this topic for help to upload photos.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11571&p=89599&hilit ... oad#p89599
Peter K

Skyedriver
Regular Poster

Post by Skyedriver »

This might work of bring down FB!

It worked, never thought I even had a one drive.....

You may remember me from my time in Aldbrough St John, Peter. Yellow Chimaera. Now living near Oban.
Hope you are keeping well.
Regards
Tony H

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Nice group of cars, and loving the set up you have for storage.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Oooo, brings back memories, Ive had a few tasmins, a 280 s1 hardtop, s2 hardtop, a 350 and a 390se.
Bash
Ps, Ive also had a s3 vixen and a 3000m
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.