New member - new owner

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

AndrewWebber
Senior Poster
Model: Elite S1 503, Plus 2, Europa '
Colour: Gold
Year: 1979

Re: New member - new owner

Post by AndrewWebber »

I'd recommend fibre glass work (or painting) onto a existing surface / component is undertaken when the outside temperature is stable for sometime, or even falling. If it is rising after a colder spell there is a tendency for a (microscopic, if not visible) layer of moisture to condensate from the new warmer air touching the cooler surfaces.

Andy

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Green
Year: 1987

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

Andrew - thanks for this advice. It looks like the entire week (for me, near Tenby, Pembrokeshire), is looking much much warmer so was going to leave it to the end of the week (shed does get hot) so any moisture has come out (for the most part). No one is going to see it (especially after I've raptored it both sides once I've finished) but I still want to do a proper job on them.

I've got help too on this - have a friend that comes and helps (er, he does it all whilst I hand him various tools he barks at me for!). Neither of us have used fibreglass before so we're going to do the test run on the front lip before tackling the crash panels.

AndrewWebber
Senior Poster
Model: Elite S1 503, Plus 2, Europa '
Colour: Gold
Year: 1979

Post by AndrewWebber »

Good plans, moisture is the principle enemy, air entrapment the secondary one.

Andy

Marten
Regular Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red
Year: 1985

Post by Marten »

Oi_Oi_Savaloy wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 08:52
Andrew - thanks for this advice. It looks like the entire week (for me, near Tenby, Pembrokeshire), is looking much much warmer so was going to leave it to the end of the week (shed does get hot) so any moisture has come out (for the most part). No one is going to see it (especially after I've raptored it both sides once I've finished) but I still want to do a proper job on them.

I've got help too on this - have a friend that comes and helps (er, he does it all whilst I hand him various tools he barks at me for!). Neither of us have used fibreglass before so we're going to do the test run on the front lip before tackling the crash panels.
Get enough nitrile gloves, wearing two pairs at a time can be usefull when the outer pair becomes to much of a mess. Don't touch anything you don't want to become sticky

To glue in the panels mix up a goey mess of epoxy and filler, then patch over with precut strips of glass

Kerry
Junior Poster

Post by Kerry »

I had my Excel completely resprayed with new trims etc and that cost in the order of £5,000