Excel key

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Arran1977
Unverified Poster

Excel key

Post by Arran1977 »

Hi All, I've recently become the new owner of a lovely light blue Excel. B125OSB. If anyone could help me track down the previous owner it'd be greatly appreciated.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Re: Excel key

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Is it not on the V5?
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Not any more 😞😞.
Data protection nonsense. You are only allowed to find out who owns, or has owned a car if you have a valid reason - Such as "I own a dodgy parking business and I need to know so I can rob some money off the owner"

And no, I haven't been caught by one - at least not to have to pay the fine. Usually go away when you challenge.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

KevW
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1992

Post by KevW »

Yes, I was quite surprised when I discovered that the DVLA will sell a vehicle keeper's details to pretty much anyone. They don't do any proper checking that the person or company buying the details is legit. There have been instances where details have been sold to criminals.

I think all of us naively assume when we give our personal details to a government office they wil be used for official government purposes. I remember an MP tried to tackle the matter a few years ago but he got nowhere.
Kev W no.282

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

Arran1977 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 15:40
Hi All, I've recently become the new owner of a lovely light blue Excel. B125OSB. If anyone could help me track down the previous owner it'd be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the Forum. If you can post a picture that would be great. I may have come across your car at a show or something but can't remember too many light blue ones. Is that Ice blue?
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

Jason.goad
Senior Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red should be black
Year: 1985

Post by Jason.goad »

I told the DVLA I was researching the history of my vehicle, paid £15 (IIRC) and about 3 weeks later photocopies of all the previous owners V5's arrived. Quite interesting to find it was first owned by a company 5 miles away from my house.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Did you do that via email ?
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Jason.goad wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:23
I told the DVLA I was researching the history of my vehicle, paid £15 (IIRC) and about 3 weeks later photocopies of all the previous owners V5's arrived. Quite interesting to find it was first owned by a company 5 miles away from my house.
How long ago did you do that as I’m sure they won’t do that anymore.

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Post by AndyC »

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... record.pdf basically says you have to have a legitimate need, but a Google search seems to indicate a history file for a classic car isn't such a thing. If it was that you'd received a demand for money and needed to show who owned the car at the time that might be reasonable grounds.

This thread seems to date the change in stance around Sept 2017
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... &t=1700543

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Sept 17 for the change of policy seems about right. There's a resto thread on TLF for an early Elite where the owner got some great info when he approached DVLA (around 2016 /17 I think) and he managed to reach several PO's who were delighted to here the car still existed. Owning a Lotus is not quite the same as buying a mini or Ford as an A to B car and interest stays with most people.
I sent my enquiry off in 2018 IIRC, and was reasonably politely told to take a hike.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Jason.goad
Senior Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red should be black
Year: 1985

Post by Jason.goad »

Sorry for the late reply. Just had a look at the previous owner list.
I contacted the DVLA in 2014 (thought it was more recent than that...old age etc). I'm sure I filled some sort of form out, but as already mentioned, I thought it was only about 3 years ago :roll: so it could be anything.