Steering Rack Rebuild and Track Rod Replacement

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Lozza74
Junior Poster

Re: Steering Rack Rebuild and Track Rod Replacement

Post by Lozza74 »

My car has just passed its 2nd MOT in my ownership, and im pleased to say ive had no issues with the rebuilt rack - the seals I replaced are still holding fluid.

I have had trouble getting the power steering fluid pipe that returns to the tank to seal though - I have ended up putting an O-ring into the rack so it sits between the pipe and the rack, as well as the usual position on the pipe itself. This is the only way I could get a seal, and I think means fluid is seeping out between the quick-fit connector and the hard pipe.

so, all in all I think the DIY rebuild was a success

Cheers
Richard

KiwiPom
Junior Poster
Model: Excel LC
Colour: Red
Year: 1984

Post by KiwiPom »

Thanks for posting this. Back in ‘99 after failing an MOT I paid 900 quid for a refurbished rack plus labour to fit it. Back then there was no help from forums etc so I had little choice but to pay the bill, and shortly afterwards sell the car.

Owning a classic like the Excel is so much easier (and cheaper) than it used to be…..for a diy mechanic anyway, due to posts like yours.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Posted this a while ago but when it comes to pipes .....

Bash
viewtopic.php?p=95237#p95237
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.