Excel Values - Europe

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

JB455
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Re: Excel Values - Europe

Post by JB455 »

Pete Boole wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 22:23
Has it had an engine change - it has early style cam housings/covers? Lovely looking car Scott! Love the black interior 8)
I was discussing this car when it first came up on Hemmings (before the BAT auction) with Wes Fredericks, who was Chairman of Lotus USA in the '80s. He indicated that he was familiar with this car. He said it came with a LC motor despite being an SE due to emissions regulations in Sweden at the time. Wes is somewhat local to me, in CT, and has a LHD '88 Excel.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Interesting. Still a bit odd that they would use the inferior cam carriers though - two years after changing to the flat-topped ones. Maybe they just had some unused cam carriers/engines left over? Did they all get the same engine configuration do you know?

Pete

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

As a long time resident in Spain, since 1969, and Lotus fan have had initially an Elite and now have an Excel LC.
The Elite was purchased in UK and I modified it to LHD, not difficult but time consuming. Sadly the engine took fire in Calais while driving back to Spain so I sent the wreck back to UK as it still had a UK registration. No residual value as it would have been a hassle being resident in Spain.
I bought the current Excel 1985 12 years ago which is RHD and originally UK registration. I have renovated all the mechanicals, suspensions, interiors, but no repaint as this is not my speciality and I don´t like local paintshops. Legislation for residents driving non-Spanish registration vehicles has become a high fine exercise and even confiscation and I have obtained a Historic Spanish plate which took 24 months to achieve and cost 1000€. With a Historic plate absolutely no modifications are allowed so now converting to LHD is not a possibility.
As we are now downsizing from our Villa due to age and less mobility my Excel is now up for sale. With a price of 12000€ I have recceived no enquiries as I believe the locals do not know what a Lotus is (except the 7) and with RHD this seriously reduces sale possibility.
Since Brexit it has become almost impossible to import classic cars from UK and obtain the necessary Spanish registration.

The Excel has provided a very satisfying hobby for retirement and of course a very satisfying car to drive.

Dave the cog.