1992 Excel SE - How far is too far?

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: 1992 Excel SE - How far is too far?

Post by Pete Boole »

I've found a plastic seat wheel - what's it worth? :D

Pete

Dwaynem884
Regular Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1992

Post by Dwaynem884 »

Pete Boole wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:02
I've found a plastic seat wheel - what's it worth? :D

Pete
Sent you a PM Pete.
1980 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Ghia
1989 Peugeot 205 1.1 Look
1991 Peugeot 205 1.6 GTI
1992 Lotus Excel SE

Who needs modern cars???

Dwaynem884
Regular Poster

Post by Dwaynem884 »

Into the darker evenings, work on the car has slowed up a bit but progress is being made, hoping that we will get a good bit done over the Christmas holidays.

Headlining is in, all original except the front roof section, some leftover material from a Cavalier Turbo restoration matched in well. Everything else was taken out, given a good cleaning and re-glued where necessary. It was nasty and mouldy but cleaned up pretty well.
Stripped down the visors. the joint had come apart in places so hand stitched them and then coloured the vinyl side with black marker to blend it in. It would certainly benefit from an entirely new headlining but it's reasonable and will suffice for now.

New set of Cobo's looking fierce

Seat belt brackets
The original's speak for themselves :shock:
Look away now but getting them out required drastic measures.
New SS brackets from Lotus bits fitted well

And here's the rear interior all fitted again

And the seat tilt knobs are also finished

A couple of set-backs

This one was self inflicted.
Whilst fitting a new boot seal, getting it up around the top corner proved awkward with the boot lid in the way. Deciding to remove it, one side came off perfectly but the other was a bit of a horror, first bolt sheared off and the second ripped the captive nut out of the fibre glass. Had to cut of the bolt just to remove the lid.

Had to cut open the boot, remove the original captive nut plate, make a new one, fit it and then fibre glass the boot frame again. Haven't fitted it yet, hoping it holds.

Also currently in the middle of trouble shooting the passenger door light & central locking. Had to pull out the fuse board in the passenger foot well again for the 3rd time :cry: stretching some seldom used muscles to get to that one each time. Some corroded spades in connectors replaced and we have a working light again, central locking is still a mystery though.

Another mystery is the battery cover
She didn't have one when I got her, so i got a replacement from Lotus Bits, but for the life of me, I don't know how it's supposed to fit in place, what the quarter turn is to clip into and what part to play does the threaded rod on the angled clamp have.

The car was originally sold by SGT, but no window stickers etc, came on the car. Trawling through google, I found this, apparently from 1998.

Currently in the process of replicating it digitally and then will get a new one made.

and to finish off, my Father must have become jealous of Lotus ownership as he has went and bought his own :lol:
1991 Peugeot 205 1.6 GTI
1992 Lotus Excel SE

Who needs modern cars???

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Your SS seat brackets do not look sealed. You should try to ensure it is sealed from water ingress which will make it in via the bolt holes
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Your battery cover is a strange one and every day is a school day.

The cover looks like my MY87 version with a twist lock. That should fit into a female part on the mounting bracket.

However, your bar looks like what i see in the manual which apparently the cover drops on to the threaded portion and then a screw down knob locks it in place. But you have 2 unmatched systems. Unless the blue knob i see is able to screw down the thread part

Dwaynem884
Regular Poster

Post by Dwaynem884 »

Hawaiis0 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 17:38
Your battery cover is a strange one and every day is a school day.

The cover looks like my MY87 version with a twist lock. That should fit into a female part on the mounting bracket.

However, your bar looks like what i see in the manual which apparently the cover drops on to the threaded portion and then a screw down knob locks it in place. But you have 2 unmatched systems. Unless the blue knob i see is able to screw down the thread part

Looking at the manual now, the threaded rod that the clamping knob screws onto looks perpendicular to the long side of the angle whereas on mine it's parallel to the long side. Maybe I can just remove the quarter turn, It looks the same as the manual otherwise. Is number 30 in the diagram supposed to tilt back so the angle sits into the top edge of the battery?
1991 Peugeot 205 1.6 GTI
1992 Lotus Excel SE

Who needs modern cars???

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

The threaded rod sits vertical, with the clamp angle at the top edge of the battery. It should not be sitting across the middle of the battery as in the above photo. Easy to just bend the foot of the rod slightly. On my car, the battery cover just has a hole in it. I bought a threaded knurled knob for the top - don't know what the original fixing was like.
This probably doesn't make a lot of sense. I'll take a photo later.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Dwaynem884
Regular Poster

Post by Dwaynem884 »

MetBlue wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:25
The threaded rod sits vertical, with the clamp angle at the top edge of the battery. It should not be sitting across the middle of the battery as in the above photo. Easy to just bend the foot of the rod slightly. On my car, the battery cover just has a hole in it. I bought a threaded knurled knob for the top - don't know what the original fixing was like.
This probably doesn't make a lot of sense. I'll take a photo later.
Tony
It's a strange design...

I get what you're saying Tony, it definitely doesn't want to sit naturally in this position but we'll make it work. I'll have to set the battery up on a plinth as currently the threaded rod is too short for the hole in the cover ( I just removed the quarter turn) I think I have the original fixing for the cover, I'll post a photo later for the records.
1991 Peugeot 205 1.6 GTI
1992 Lotus Excel SE

Who needs modern cars???

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

I'll have a look in the lock-up for my spare battery clamp - ISTR last time that I saw it (couple of years ago) it was one designed for the quarter turn fastener.

Pete

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

I think this is the part you need to match your cover:

Pete

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Pete Boole wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 17:48
I think this is the part you need to match your cover:

Pete
Yes thats the one i have, but the insert is missing