ULEZ charges

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

ULEZ charges

Post by richardw »

I have been looking into this today, as it looks like these zones are expanding across the country. It appears that if you have a car introduced before the introduction of Euro emissions standards it is exempt from ULEZ charges. Euro 1 was introduced in July 1992 I believe, which means that nearly all Excels (as well as all Elites and Eclats and many Esprits) should not be subject to the charge, as it is only levied on vehicles which have a Euro emissions standard.

One way to find out is to visit https://www.checkcardetails.co.uk/ and enter your registration number. The page that you see shows on the right hand panel that your vehicle is not ULEZ compliant. However if you click on ‘more chargeability check’ it should show that while the vehicle is liable for congestion charges, it is not liable for ULEZ charges.

Try it out with your car and see what you find!

Cheers, Richard

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Re: ULEZ charges

Post by MetBlue »

I suspect all Excels and earlier will show as not liable for ULEZ.
My Excel shows as 1992 build, but returns same results as Richard found. Lotus only built 15 cars after mine rolled off the line.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

If I check my 87 SA on the site you list then it’s ULEZ free, but on TFL’s own site it is chargeable, and they’re the ones who control the charges.
The question is, why is there a discrepancy and who’s correct?

Dcplug
Verified Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1992

Post by Dcplug »

Interesting point for those of us in Scotland.

All Excels /Elites are now over 30 years old and are classed as “historic vehicles” and thus have national (Scottish) exemption from ULEZ fines. I checked this directly with the ULEZ introduction team and have an e mail to confirm.

In England your vehicle needs to be 40 yrs old to qualify as an historic vehicle. I’m guessing the difference is just part of the present Scottish regimes insistence on being different ( hence also ridiculous levels of fines for going into a ULEZ , rather than charging ).

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Alan_M wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 19:51
If I check my 87 SA on the site you list then it’s ULEZ free, but on TFL’s own site it is chargeable, and they’re the ones who control the charges.
I think the legalese is ‘legal but non conforming’ or some such…

Didn’t get much time to do more investigation at the weekend but will try this week.

Cheers, Richard

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

Alan_M wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 19:51
I've just done the same check, again my '90 Excel SE shows as chargeable for ULEZ, which doesn't surprise and, to be fair, makes sense (if you accept the basic premise of ULEZ!). That's why I use my wife's electric car when I visit my sister in Hampstead. As Alan said, I'd say gospel truth is defined by the organisation that levies, enforces and collects the payment!
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

AndrewWebber
Senior Poster
Model: Elite S1 503, Plus 2, Europa '
Colour: Gold
Year: 1979

Post by AndrewWebber »

My Elite comes up as 'exempt ULEZ'.

Andy

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

AndrewWebber wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 14:40

Andy
It should do as historic vehicle over 40 years old.

All Elites and Eclat are exempt and very early Excels.

chrisw2811
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1986

Post by chrisw2811 »

I checked the site in the link and the TFL site. TFL says my 1986 'Eclat' (Eclat Excel) is ULEZ chargeable. It's not yet a historic vehicle but my 1980 Honda moped is and TFL claims it is ULEZ chargeable.
1986 Excel SE, 1985 FJ1100, 2012 Passat TDI Estate, 2012 Golf TSi, 2010 Mini R56, 1985 Yamaha Salient 1964 Raleigh Runabout 1960 Motobecane 1979 Honda NC50 , '02 Montesa 315R

Well, if I was right all the time I'd get to be predictable!

AndrewWebber
Senior Poster
Model: Elite S1 503, Plus 2, Europa '
Colour: Gold
Year: 1979

Post by AndrewWebber »

Alan_M wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 19:24
AndrewWebber wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 14:40

Andy
It should do as historic vehicle over 40 years old.

All Elites and Eclat are exempt and very early Excels.
Yes all appears to work for my 'fleet', +2 and 'Europa' V8 also come up as exempt. 2005 S Type Jag V8 comes up as chargeable, so Elite will be getting some extra use for any future 'city runs' I think. Not sure which is actually cleanest.

MalcolmH
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso
Year: 1988

Post by MalcolmH »

Just to put in my two-penn'th, I think in the original post Richard was mistaking - after clicking 'Further Chargeability' - the Low Emission Zone (LEZ) for the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ).

The Low Emission Zone already exists in many areas of Greater London and parts of the inner Home Counties, and Excels are compliant. But for the Ultra (ULEZ) zone, which from 29th August expands to include these areas - including mine - our Excels won't be compliant. Until such time as they reach 40 years old, unless that legislation changes in the meantime.

I'm torn between selling, and keeping garaged except for runs out a couple of days a month (at £12.50 a time).

I paid ULEZ earlier this year. Was going, with my nephew, to the London Classic Car Show at Olympia. From my area, normally a no-brainer 30-minute train trip. But decided (the tickets having been a pressie from my daughters) to splash out and drive - as a sort of last hurrah - to the classic show in my classic! So I paid £27 to park at Olympia & the £12.50 ULEZ, Olympia already being in the zone. Plus, to make a day of it, decided to also pay the £15 Congestion charge, for a nostalgic drive home through the West End and the nighttime lights.

The last bit wasn't needed, as I discovered (which I hadn't known) that the Congestion charge only goes till 6pm at weekends. So we had a fantastic sunny morning drive in in the Excel, nice stop-off for breakfast, straightforward parking at Olympia, great day at the show, then at 6pm crossed into the Congestion zone. And have to say, that at 6-7pm on a Saturday evening, I've never SEEN so much congestion in London!! Everywhere was bumper-to-bumper, Olympia to Marble Arch (even using back-doubles to escape the stationary main routes) took 45 minutes, so many roads were closed-off to all but buses & cabs, and delivery bikes & mopeds were coming out of nowhere in every direction. So although years ago I loved driving through London, the West End part of this particular plan - the nighttime lights apart - was a NIGHTMARE! As well as a reminder how pathetic the Excel's horn sounds!! :lol:

So the congestion, they can keep it!! But sadly, we'll still be paying the charge for it in much less congested north Kent.
"I never let progress get in the way of my reluctance to change"

TonyL
Junior Poster
Model: Excel/Elite project
Colour: Red/Red (for now)

Post by TonyL »

You're not wrong about the horn. I've only had reason to use mine four or five times since I bought my Excel, in November, but each time it has resulted in a feeling if disappointment. It's a bit annoying that the button is recessed in the wheel, as well, so it requires some precision, rather than a quick-draw lean on the steering wheel, which is what I'm used to.

I hope you decide to keep your Excel, while it matures to 40 years old. It's better to have money in a beautiful car than the bank, even if you're not driving it.

MalcolmH
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso
Year: 1988

Post by MalcolmH »

Thanks, Tony... am taking it to the Bromley Pageant this Sunday (massive one-day classic show, if you don't know it) & putting a detailed For Sale notice in the window. So will let the fates decide!

Win-win in my book. If someone expresses interest & ultimately buys it, I get a chunk of much-needed funds. If they don't, I get to keep the car! For continued & very pleasurable occasional use.

But yes, the fiddly, amusing barely-audible squeak of a horn is a foible. This Excel's my 6th since the mid-80's (albeit with a 20-year gap in between) and it's been the same on each - smile & cringe in equal measure. But you'll definitely need it these days if you venture into what I see as London!

Which isn't Bromley or Orpington. Despite what the London Mayor & messed-with boundaries through the years would have us think :D
"I never let progress get in the way of my reluctance to change"