AC Condenser Available?

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

rogbmw
Junior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: White
Year: 1987

AC Condenser Available?

Post by rogbmw »

Are new A/C Condensers and A/C hoses available? Any suggestions for a possible source?
Thanks.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Re: AC Condenser Available?

Post by bash »

Do you have the original hoses, if so they will probably only need new (green) 'o' rings, if they do need changing you could either take them off and get a hose company to make some up, or, as I did make your own. Two things to bear in mind are one of the fittings where it disappears into the dash is virtually unobtainable, and an o ring behind the dash may need changing. I used a generic condenser. All of the detail is in my v8 build thread.
viewtopic.php?t=8397&start=255

viewtopic.php?t=8397&start=210

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

rogbmw
Junior Poster

Post by rogbmw »

Thanks Bash. We have located a new condenser from one of the vendors recommended on one of the Lotus forums. As you may know, I have purchased an Excel and when it arrived in the states, the compressor and condenser had a small leak. The company I have purchased the car through is going to replace everything, and purchased the condenser as well as the dryer today. He was able to source a new compressor here in the states. I know he is putting on new hoses as well.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Bits for ac are cheaper and easier to get in the States and it is definitely worth having working.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

rogbmw
Junior Poster

Post by rogbmw »

I just received a note saying the Excel is ready for pick up. A/C is ice cold. When doing the new condenser they got a good look at the radiator, and recommended replacing it while they we r in there. We decided to go with the larger all aluminum one. They also placed a 74 degree warm weather thermostat and new fans and shroud. Here is the list of new items: compressor, condenser, dryer, hoses, radiator, thermostat, and fabricated brackets. I pick up the car Thursday! YEA!!!

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

You've been very patient. Now time to get out there and enjoy.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.