Excel riviera

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Excel riviera

Post by bash »

I wonder why they never made one, I always thought they were quite cool on the Elite and Eclat. Perhaps the panel wouldn't go in the boot ?

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Re: Excel riviera

Post by richardw »

I wonder if it was to do with making a vinyl roof look ok. The Elite and Eclat have bright alloy trim defining the edges of the roof, while the Excel has more closely integrated body colour fibreglass trim, with which I don’t think a vinyl roof would look quite right. Of course Lotus didn’t have much money then either. A similar question is why they never fitted a glass panel roof, like on the Esprit.

Interesting speculation for a wet Saturday morning!

Cheers, Richard

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Mmmm. Could be, I can bring my jigsaw if anyone wants to donate thier roof !! I would think it would be easy to keep it body coloured. Esprit glass roof idea could work but the roof curvature probably isnt the same.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

pistolpete
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1990

Post by pistolpete »

Does the Esprit glass panel come out or is it just a bonded in clear/ tinted panel ?

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

It comes out. Its a glass panel that can be tilted at the back or lifted out put in a bag and threaded into the boot, presumably using most of the boot space.

Bash