Oliver Winterbottom estate auction

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Oliver Winterbottom estate auction

Post by richardw »

On 30 August, Oliver Winterbottom’s collection of drawings, books, models and general career related items is being put up for auction.

I think that we should, as a club, try to secure one or two significant items for the benefit of current and future members, rather than see them disappear into a private collection. I will raise this suggestion with the club committee to obtain approval for a budget once we have a list from the auction house. If we do decide to follow this route, then we should ask members not to bid against the club for the same items, insofar as this is possible, so we should let members know the items in question. If prices go above our budget anyway, then obviously people can bid as they wish.

Would welcome any feedback, but I will publish the auction list (or link) once it becomes available.

Cheers, Richard

richardw

Re: Oliver Winterbottom estate auction

Post by richardw »

I have just double checked the auction details and it looks at though the whole collection is being sold as one lot, so unlikely the club could afford to purchase items. Here is the link: https://barryhawkins.atgportals.net/auc ... arry-10230

Richard

richardw

Post by richardw »

Oliver’s daughter Jane has just told me that there should be separate lots, so the statement on the website that there aren’t any is premature!

richardw

Post by richardw »

Everything has now been listed on the auction website and online bids are being made.

Taking a look through, there isn’t very much that is directly related to the Elite, Eclat and Excel (apart from brochures, books and magazines that are generally available anyway). A couple of lots include items relating the the M90 and X100 which seem to be attracting some bidding.

Sara Helmer has very kindly offered to contribute up to £100 to anything the club might wish to acquire, so could I ask members to take a look and suggest anything they might want to see in our collection. Oliver’s items are listed between lots 600 and 800.

Many thanks

Richard