Heater cable problem

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Heater cable problem

Post by Tanz »

With the instrument cluster out the other day I noticed one of the operating cables to the heater was flapping about.
The little peg on the lever had snapped off. As luck would have it, it was easy to access so I tried to pull the lever off the spindle but no joy - it wasn't shifting.
So as it wouldn't come to the drill I took the drill to it. Back in the early 80's my wife Lynne (then girl friend) purchased me for Christmas (at my request) a flexible drill chuck ( no end to the romance). Basically a long cable that you put in your electric drill and on the other end is a small chuck so you can drill in awkward places. It has sat in a drawer in the garage for 40 years and never been used - until now. I drilled a hole in the lever while it was in situ and put a tapped screw in it to hold the cable. A bit of a bodge job but working fine so far.

Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: Heater cable problem

Post by Pete Boole »

Take a look at Farmer Richard's similar thread also.

Good job though.

Pete

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

Yes, I had exactly the same problem. I ended up removing the entire dashboard over the Resto Show weekend last March to do the same fix!!

You won't pull the lever of the spindle - as my major surgery shows, it's all one continuous piece of bonded plastic.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

KevW
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1992

Post by KevW »

A while back I did a similar fix on my car using the flexible drive of my Dremel to drill out the broken plastic peg. I then superglued an Ikea Billy bookcase shelf support peg into the hole i'd just made. You'd think the Ikea peg was made for the job it's such a good fit.

NB I once went to my local Ikea customer service desk to ask if I could buy a few shelf support pegs and was given a handlful for nowt - nice customer service
Kev W no.282