SA Selector lever

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Will49
Junior Poster

SA Selector lever

Post by Will49 »

The gear selector lever on my SA is terrible and is very stiff and notchy to use and wonder if its adjatable in any way?
I address this to that select group out there with experience of this ZF gearbox.
How many of us SA'ers are out there I wonder?

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: SA Selector lever

Post by Pete Boole »

The cable itself is like very stiff piano wire and runs in a nylon-lined outer. If the nylon has worn through it could make it stiffer to operate. If you disconnect the cable at the gearbox end you will be able to tell if it's the cable or the gearbox. If it's the cable you could remove it and thoroughly lubricate it. I'm about to investigate getting a new one made in a more flexible form - I'll let you know what comes of it.

Pete

Will49
Junior Poster

Post by Will49 »

Good call Pete. Ill look at doing that when she is up on stands and I can get under her

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

You could remove the T Bar and lubricate the shaft. Small grub screw on front side.

The detent steps down from park to drive so should have minimal restriction. You will need the trigger on the T Bar to Lift any movements thereafter.

As for numbers of SAs, I got a count of about 29 confirmed - speculation is 100 max. Noting that after MY90 the SA was dropped in favour of the auto option.

Stu
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Will49
Junior Poster

Post by Will49 »

I have had it apart to see how it works. Lubricated it all but still stiff and notchy. Ill disconnect from the box and see it its a cable issue as suggested.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

I went to the cable place today - no joy. I was hoping to get them to make me a more flexible version of the cable but they couldn't help. Might investigate other bowden cable makers though.

Pete