Shock Absorbers

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Re: Shock Absorbers

Post by richardw »

I seem to remember that Protech claimed their dampers were repairable. If so, I don't know how economically viable it would be.

lambert.john
Senior Poster
Model: SA
Colour: Blue
Year: 1987

Post by lambert.john »

Yes, SJ Sportscars tell me that Protechs are repairable, IF you're prepared to wait and have the car off the road for an indeterminate period of time. I feel, in any case, my money would be better spent on a new set!
John L.

pistolpete
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1990

Post by pistolpete »

So having found this thread of some years ago, and having seen a leaky shock on my car, I was wondering how everybody feels about there current set up .
It does strike me there are a few examples of these things lasting only a few years, in most cars they pretty much last for ever

Cheers Pete

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

I gave up on Protech after the last set I had started leaking far too soon after replacement. I'm now running Gaz, which have the adjuster on the fronts in a far more sensible place anyway. They were a little hard to get set up initially, but I'm very happy with them now.
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

There are plenty of negative reports about the all of the commonly-fitted aftermarket dampers (Protech GAZ, SPAX) on both our cars and on other classics.

These complaints tend to be:
1) poor corrosion resistance of the main body
2) premature leaks/misting
3) valve knocking
4) inaccessible / stiff /corroded adjusters.

I've had bad experience with the three main brands . Folk abandoned Spax years ago - went to AVO or GAZ and later on to Protechs. My GAZ rears for the Lotus leaked / misted early -but they never came with rod covers - so not surprising they leaked if the rods are exposed and abrading the seals with a film of road dirt. same thing happened to a set of Protechs for the Clan - no rod covers - they leaked.

Ive had SPAX, GAZ and Protechs with valves knocking after very little mileage.

AVO's I've never had but Clan mates seem to rate them.
Peter K

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

My Avos use a smaller spring 2.5 in vs 3.25 orig IIRC.

I am going back up to the larger springs as I find the smaller too firm, so would recommend staying with OEM springs.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Mr Locust
Senior Poster
Model: Excel EFI
Colour: White
Year: 1986

Post by Mr Locust »

So from Excelnet and other forums, the general feedback is that with all brands there is experience of valving problems, ride height issues, leaks and corrosion? :roll:

Does this mean go with the lowest cost and best availability then count on doing it again in a few years?

Phantasm
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Silk Red
Year: 1992

Post by Phantasm »

I've had a full set of AVOs to install for 3 years now... Still haven't. I'm almost afraid to take off the stock setup which seems 'fine' for now and then find out what mysteries lie beneath. When I finally do pull the trigger, I'll do what I can to prevent some of the noted issues:
1. Re-coat the shocks (many of you call them dampers) and springs with some type of quality paint to add a few more layers of wear resistance. I have half a mind to coat them with bedliner.
2. Source Rod covers before installing the shocks.
3. Measure, measure, measure to ensure i get the ride height back to stock, fortunately, the AVOs are adjustable. Though I've noticed my left and right sides are not matched at the moment!! so, maybe I'll split the difference.
4. Source a dust cap for the damper adjustment valve to protect it as well. Similar to the cover for the headlight's manual raise knob, but smaller.

This project will be tabled at least another year. I just bought my forever retirement home and it needs a few things to be corrected first - like adding more garages!!!
-Bill
1991-92ish Lotus Excel SE Silk Red
2009 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited 4X4
2015.5 Volvo V60 T5
Previous: 2005 Toyota Prius, 2002 Nissan Maxima SE 6 speed, 1988 Toyota 4Runner, 1989 Toyota 4Runner, 1995 Dodge Neon, 1986 Ford Mustang

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Calling Mr Cool A! 8): Jerry's had some coil-over covers on his dampers for a couple of years - what is the result Jerry? Have you had the covers off yet?

Pete

MrCoolA
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1989

Post by MrCoolA »

Pete Boole wrote:Calling Mr Cool A! 8): Jerry's had some coil-over covers on his dampers for a couple of years - what is the result Jerry? Have you had the covers off yet?

Pete

Hi Pete

For the few quid that the are I couldn’t be happier. Springs and shockers look like new.
Previously Jerry (Taylor)
Now "Black Flag"

Lotus Excel SEI1989 253.6hp 190lbft
Lotus Elise S3 1.6. Motorsport Green 2011.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Defo sounds like a plan for coil-overs then! I'll fit some to my Leda dampers after they are rebuilt. Cheers Jerry!

Pete

Jason.goad
Senior Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red should be black
Year: 1985

Post by Jason.goad »

Hello. Just thought I'd resurrect this thread...
I'm finally in a postion to change my front shock absorbers (financial, not lying on the floor with 1 leg under the front bumper and the other behind my head).
One of the adjusters on my Protech shocks is damaged due to the suspension movement so I've no wish to replace them with Protechs. I know Angus is using Gaz and seems happy with them. Has anyone else got any recommendations and places to purchase them please?
Thanks,
Jason

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Post by AndyC »

I too have Gaz, and AVO, both seem fine. I had one problem, the Gaz failed internally when almost new (but had been in my possession for a year) so no warranty. I just purchased another single one.
I've had Protech (on an Esprit) and had awful experiences but suspect that may have been partially due to springs that were sold with them by the retailer, but even so wouldn't have expected failure of the damping in 6 month's of light use. So would say the Gaz and AVO are a world apart from Protech.

Johnwindwood
Senior Poster
Model: 1984 Excel
Year: 1984

Post by Johnwindwood »

Jason.goad wrote:Hello. Just thought I'd resurrect this thread...
I'm finally in a postion to change my front shock absorbers (financial, not lying on the floor with 1 leg under the front bumper and the other behind my head).
One of the adjusters on my Protech shocks is damaged due to the suspension movement so I've no wish to replace them with Protechs. I know Angus is using Gaz and seems happy with them. Has anyone else got any recommendations and places to purchase them please?
Thanks,
Jason
I'll second the Gaz-have them all round and they are excellent. Bought them on ebay.
Kind regards

John

John Windwood

1984 Lotus Excel (1985 MY wide body)
1952 Austin Sheerline A125 Harold Radford Shooting Brake
1949 Austin Sheerline saloon (Parts car)
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
2002 Volvo V70XC Cross Country AWD