Shock Absorbers

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

mkelite
Senior Poster
Model: Elite S2.2
Colour: Lotus Yellow
Year: 1982

Re: Shock Absorbers

Post by mkelite »

i also have recently fitted the Protechs from SJ Sportcars and was told at the right setting they closely resemble original spec handling. i also think, compared to the shocks ive fitted on lots of other cars, that their well made for the money. i fitted new road springs at the same time. hopefully we wont have any probs with them so i would recommend the protechs. regards. DC.

alanmoss
Senior Poster
Model: Celebration
Colour: Marque Lotus Green
Year: 1991

Post by alanmoss »

I have had Protechs for a couple of years with no problems
Alan
Excel Celebration, 1999 Mini Cooper S, Dacia Duster 4x4

MrCoolA
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1989

Post by MrCoolA »

barker_001 wrote:It just seemed stupid to me that AVO appeared to have made shocks that were about 1/2" thicker than everyone else's, and so didn't go through the hole in the suspension arm that Lotus put there for that very purpose.

At the time I phoned AVO to see if I was missing something obvious, but they were "unable to give advice on a specific vehicle" - which again is daft because that particular model of shock was unique to the Excel. They suggested talking to the supplier, who was Christopher Neil.

Christopher Neil's response on the phone: "I'll just get one from the stores and have a look. Oh yes, I see what you mean, they look fatter than the ones we've been fitting for years..."

Unimpressed. Go with Gaz...

Try Talking to Mike Taylor................if he's happy .........so am I..........the only issue with AVO was there finish quality but i can attest to the improvements..........Lets not forget the AVOs i am talking about are a different suspension set up i.e. Coil overs andnot the standard coil and shocker, + they are adjustable both in rebound and in spring adjustment.

I have just looked to purchase new shockers for my Mk1 Eunos and the original set up are £80 per corner without springs....... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: and that is a Jap toy.......... I paid £110 a corner for AVO coilovers with springs and they are adjustable................
Previously Jerry (Taylor)
Now "Black Flag"

Lotus Excel SEI1989 253.6hp 190lbft
Lotus Elise S3 1.6. Motorsport Green 2011.

MrCoolA
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue

Post by MrCoolA »

shaunw wrote:I agree wholeheartedly with your comments on things moving on Jerry, :)I wouldnt think twice about improving my car (big brake kit for example if I can ever raise the funds!) I just think that if the ride and handling are so coveted with the original set up, why change? Fair enough if Lotus themselves developed improved ones specifically for the Excel but I wonder how much development work went into shockers by AVO etc for the Lotus Excel.

I guess what I'm trying to say (none too articulately) is that although damper technology has undoubtedly moved on in leaps and bounds, are the replacements that AVO and such make for the Excel tuned with as much care as the Lotus ones. Technological advances verses Lotus unmatched skill / experience / expertise in chassis dynamics I suppose is the point I'm making.

Maybe a seperate thread on peoples experiences with dampers would be interesting (presuming that the improvements noted by replacing with non standard arent just the improvements you would expect from replacing shot standard dampers) Personally I'd love it if AVO and Protech are genuinely better as they are what the previous owner fitted on my car. :)

Regards

Shaun

to be honest i am talking AVOs as a different suspension set up i.e. Coil overs and not the standard coil and shocker, + they are adjustable both in rebound and in spring adjustment.............
Previously Jerry (Taylor)
Now "Black Flag"

Lotus Excel SEI1989 253.6hp 190lbft
Lotus Elise S3 1.6. Motorsport Green 2011.

tonypoll
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: BRG
Year: 1992

Post by tonypoll »

With the Protech (which I have) do you know "... SJ Sportcars and was told at the right setting they closely resemble original spec handling..." what the 'right' setting would be?

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

tonypoll wrote:With the Protech (which I have) do you know "... SJ Sportcars and was told at the right setting they closely resemble original spec handling..." what the 'right' setting would be?
Not a clue - I tweaked them to suit the way I drive - the adjustment is via a little thumbwheel on each damper (had to modify my rear suspension a little to make a cut-out for easier access to it) so easy enough to do. I think I've got them set about 2/3 of the way to their "stiffest" setting and cornering is excellent.

Some thoughts on adjustable AVOs have been posted before : http://www.lotusexcel.net/phpbb/viewtop ... s&start=45
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

mkelite
Senior Poster
Model: Elite S2.2
Colour: Lotus Yellow
Year: 1982

Post by mkelite »

Steve at SJ Sportscars said from the 'o' setting 9 clicks at the front and 6 at the back on Protechs. car feels the same/original handling to me. Regards DC.

shaunw
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit GT3
Colour: CALYPSO

Post by shaunw »

Maybe I'd be waisting my time changing back to OEM then :?

Shaun

KevW
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1992

Post by KevW »

Last week I treat my Excel to a pair of Gaz Gold adjustable rear dampers. I ducked out of fitting them myself and opted to have them fitted by Colin at Revline, Whitley Bay.

I'm pleased with them so far and at the moment have them set on 14 clicks which seems to be a good compromise between handling and ride comfort.
Kev W no.282

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

KevW wrote:Last week I treat my Excel to a pair of Gaz Gold adjustable rear dampers. I ducked out of fitting them myself and opted to have them fitted by Colin at Revline, Whitley Bay.

I'm pleased with them so far and at the moment have them set on 14 clicks which seems to be a good compromise between handling and ride comfort.
My rear GAZ dampers are now "misting" so are due for replacement after not a lot of miles but to be fair they've been on the car for about 5-6 years and IIRC, they didn't come with dust covers. I had GAZ on the Clan and they soon "knocked" (these defo didn't come with dust covers) so went to Protechs (with dust covers) but haven't done enough miles to assess longevity.

On the subject of GAZ settings, many years ago I first set them at halfway to assess them on the rear and seem really good until I drove a twisty bumpy B road at speed which showed them to be too soft (pitch roll /unstable/relative understeer). It's easy to adjust the rears on the road so I experimented and settled on a setting of 17 clicks at the rear. (Front are OEM (!) and will be replaced along with rears!)
Peter K

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

MattDebbage wrote:I have changed the front anti roll bar to chassis bushes for Poly. I was told this was ok, its the other end of the bar where it meets the lower arms that need to stay rubber.
:D
Matt.
Be carefull changing the ARB to lower arm bushes. The replacement rubber ones are very hard and difficult to change. I split 2 trying to get them in and there not cheap. I would leave the old ones in
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

lambert.john
Senior Poster
Model: SA
Colour: Blue
Year: 1987

Post by lambert.john »

The Protech rear dampers I had fitted five years/8000 miles ago now need replacing again. Not impressed! Hoping to find some Spax this time.
John L.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

lambert.john wrote:The Protech rear dampers I had fitted five years/8000 miles ago now need replacing again. Not impressed! Hoping to find some Spax this time.
Yes but to be fair, my Clan's Spax AND Gaz got 'valve knock' just as quickly if not quicker. The GAZ on the Excel leaked prematurely ...except they were not fitted with covers so I can say that's more likely my fault rather than bad seals.

Have your Protechs leaked or are they knocking or just gone soft?

Maybe they just don't make ANY of them like they used to / generic Chinese parts? :?
Peter K

Qwertyco
Junior Poster
Model: plain old Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1983

Post by Qwertyco »

My '83 is on it's original springs and front shocks.
I changed the rear shocks about 20 years ago for OE Lotus items,(Armstrong?) after an MOT fail.
It's probably time for a refresh to be honest, I've noticed that the trolly jack is a bit of a tight fit now!
I'd like to go for plain simple like-for-like non adjustable if such a thing is still available?
. . . following this thread with interest.
"Life is like a Dancing Monkey, - Pretty amusing, until it starts to lob faeces at you"

lambert.john
Senior Poster
Model: SA
Colour: Blue
Year: 1987

Post by lambert.john »

[quote]Have your Protechs leaked or are they knocking or just gone soft?[quote]

The knocking alerted me to the fact that something was amiss. On removal I find there is half an inch of free movement, i.e. undamped travel, on the offside unit.
John L.