Members map?

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

garyexcel
Junior Poster
Model: se
Colour: red
Year: 1987

Re: Members map?

Post by garyexcel »

Hi after this post I had a look at zeemaps and I found my tag had dissappeared so clicked on the entry no 37 and loo and behold I have moved to the other side of the world I am now in Eltham NEW ZELAND how do I move back to England.

Gary

age6racer
Verified Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Red

Post by age6racer »

garyexcel wrote:Hi Dave

I,m in Eltham have changed many a belt where are you

Gary
Hi Gary,

I'm in Hackney but the car is in my lock up/garage in East Ham.
It would be really good to meet another owner/member of the forum (especially if he can stop me from ruining my engine!)

I'm probably going to tackle the belt in the next couple of weekends if you're fancy dropping by.

Jason.goad
Senior Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red should be black
Year: 1985

Post by Jason.goad »

garyexcel wrote:Hi after this post I had a look at zeemaps and I found my tag had dissappeared so clicked on the entry no 37 and loo and behold I have moved to the other side of the world I am now in Eltham NEW ZELAND how do I move back to England.

Gary
Hi I've deleted your entry. (sounds painful! :shock: ) Just put a new one.
Cheers.

garyexcel
Junior Poster

Post by garyexcel »

Hi Dave
Sorry a bit tied up for the next 3 weekends could do a weekday evening if its more urgent than that. Thanks jason for moving me back to the UK much appreciated

Gary

age6racer
Verified Poster

Post by age6racer »

Hi Gary,

I'm fine with a week night if you think it can be done quickly enough. I was expecting it to take me AGES!
Do you recommend that I buy an original lotus belt? I've seen a few folks talking about Peugeot 405 belts being the same..and a quarter of the price!

Cheers,
D

garyexcel
Junior Poster

Post by garyexcel »

Hi Dave
Its pretty straightforward, is the car being used? if not you could speed things up by removing the bonnet and v belts in advance probably best if you pm me your telephone number.

Gary

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green

Post by AndyC »

age6racer wrote:Hi Gary,

I'm fine with a week night if you think it can be done quickly enough. I was expecting it to take me AGES!
Do you recommend that I buy an original lotus belt? I've seen a few folks talking about Peugeot 405 belts being the same..and a quarter of the price!

Cheers,
D
The Peugeot belt is 25mm, the lotus one is a fraction wider. I don't personally worry, I just use the Peugeot one.

age6racer
Verified Poster

Post by age6racer »

I've taken the cam belt covers off and I have to say that it looks pretty healthy.It's not frayed out cracked at all, the teeth all look good.

It's been stood for about three years, would you guys change it anyway?

Here's a pic.

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green

Post by AndyC »

Three years standing + unknown time on the shelf, change it.

alanbell
Senior Poster

Post by alanbell »

any one can join the forum without proof of ownership or anything else so I do not see how any degree of security can be achieved. do not think that excels are not valuable enough to attract thieves, my old (93) farm diahatsu 4 track was stolen from its resting place by the silage pit. it had 256k miles on the clock was not taxed had no mot and had just a little red diesel in it and brakes that managed to stop it on a hill (going up only) . the really annoying thing was that when it was stolen it had the best crop of winter wheat on the farm growing out of the mixture of mud and rust that made up most of the body. :D :D
I think an excel without after market security would be even easier to steal than the diahatsu, so beware.
Last edited by alanbell on Thu Oct 10, 2013 09:42, edited 1 time in total.

Big Jim
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso

Post by Big Jim »

Hi to all
Perhaps I am being too naive ? I do not worry about it too much . For some crook to pin pinpoint my address and type of car , travel there with a trailer or at least an accomplice on the off chance that the car in question was there , with little security around it , and nobody around , seems a lot of hard work to steal a car of relatively low value . To get the car back to their den without being spotted , break the car or sell it would be hard to do without drawing attention ? Not easy to do , there must be easier , more commercial targets . I am not saying an Excel is not a target for the opportunist , but by then they would already know where I live .
To all those crooks watching , I do not yet own a Lotus , I will let you know when I do!

alanbell
Senior Poster

Post by alanbell »

jim,
all the problems and risks attached to the theft of a car that you mention are part of the every day life of a car thief, if an ancient diahatsu worth 100 as scrap was worth the trouble and risk your future lotus, worth say 6k, would be quite attractive. I cannot see a way of making a public forum secure as anyone can join. which even makes private messages insecure. as I said an excel without after market security is an easy target. it could be driving away from the owners drive or unalarmed garage in a matter of minutes. the best way to meet local lotus owners and get to know them to join club lotus and go to the local meetings where personal details are exchanged on the basis of trust.

Big Jim
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso

Post by Big Jim »

Hi Alan
I think once we enter the world of the internet it is nigh on impossible to stay invisible .
I have spent a few minutes on Google and I think I have found your address and phone number . I may be wrong , but I am sure I could get there with a bit more effort . I could not see a Lotus parked outside on Google Earth .
I have always liked a 1988 red SE .Mmmm. Scotland is too far for me !
I am only having a bit of fun here .
On a more serious note , I think that the map with only towns marked would be a good idea and not too risky , but hey , I am not bothered either way .

amarshall
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

Nobody is being forced to put their details on the map...It started as a bit of fun. :roll:
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

Simpatico
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit

Post by Simpatico »

Why not try placing the dot a few miles further away than your actual house like I did :wink: ....it's just indicative after all
I am an EX owner; I have ceased to be