Rover V8 build log

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Re: Rover V8 build log

Post by bash »

Cheers Dude, glad you enjoyed it.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Sometimes its the simple things that cause headaches. Had a few fail to proceeds and it took a while to track down the culprit. Every time it would restart shortly afterwards but I kept off motorways particularly stupid no hard shoulder ones for a while. What happened was it would instantly cut out, no warning, no hint just working one second and not the next. Usually stuff like that is electrical, there were no fault codes recorded in the fuel injection computer so various checks were done and I even ran with a bulb wired to the coil visible inside the car in case it was a cut in power, which I've had before in the dim and distant past. I was thinking me and metblue should join the sub branch of the club called the spanner throwers cos it was very frustrating. The penny dropped eventually when manoeuvring the car outside the house in that it cut out when I let go of the throttle. Fuel pressure plummeted at that point so I suspected the in tank pump. Taking the tank out is a right pain because of the filler link pipe ( its far worse getting it back on) but the pump worked fine. It turned out to be the link pipe from the in tank pump to the pump head on the tank, the pipe had failed. What was happening was that it was good enough to contain the pressure when running but when you drop off the throttle the line pressure goes up before the relief line regulator came into play ( that's on the throttle body) and the pressure overcame the faulty in tank line and fuel pressure instantly dropped shutting the injectors down. That's why no fault codes were recorded as well.
Hey ho

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Wow - tricky one Bash!

Pete

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Good detective work expected of a copper. :wink:
Peter K

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

bash wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 07:57
That's why no fault codes were recorded as well.
Hey ho

Bash
Fault codes? On an Excel? What have you been up to….🤨

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

The 4 barrel fuel injection has full data logging built in, but was only of use to point me away from that as being the cause. I suppose my old job of a forensic collision investigator was useful but any technical write up would have been full of swearing at the end of many dead end ideas before the penny dropped.

Bash

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

Good work Poirot. Tricky one that but well worked out.
It's awful when confidence of reliability evaporates. My trip last week end was easy to do without motorway, which I must admit was a big relief.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

Fab!! I'm hoping a supercharger drive belt whine will be almost as good!! :lol: :lol: :roll:

Pete