Rover V8 build log

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Re: Rover V8 build log

Post by MetBlue »

I like that crimp tool. Looks well worth the wait and money.
How do you know when you've got sufficient crimp? Is there a dead stop, or do you just keep winding the bolt until you run out of grunt?
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Very professional work Bash!

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

To answer Tony, The brief leaflet that comes with the tool says leave 1/8" gap between the two tool faces, I found that to be too big a gap and it wasnt crimped properly and I could still rotate the pipe in the fitting so went down to 2mm which then gave the correct crimp. A you tube video showed someone using a torque wrench at 80 lb/ ft, I tried it, it didnt work because the bigger the fitting the bigger the grunt. You can also see the part of the tool that creates the indentations and can therefore judge how deep the crimp is. One thing I did do was to oil the threads on the tool and that made it much easier. Ultimately, because I had a few to do, you get a feel for it.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

The engine bay is back together now.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

I'd Relish an engine bay like that :wink: :lol:
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Brilliant job Bash. 8) Looking forward to having a closer look!

Pete

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Looks like factory...as if a v8 had been factory. 8)
Peter K

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

Very impressive Bash - Everything layed out neat and tidy 8)
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Thanks everyone. Had to sort the bonnet out. Removed the hinge/crossbar to put a bend in it to clear the compressor but knowing that my sagging and crumbling original insulation on the underside of the bonnet might create a snagging problem made me replace it. The old glue was a right pain to get off to get to bare grp but it looks good now with the new matt black paint.
Other jobs you cant see is a refurb of the front undertray and a new grill as the old one was rusting away.
I need to get the dash back in next.

Bash

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

All the electrics are done, the system is controlled by the trinary switch in the dryer, it has a low and high pressure switch for the compressor and an on off for the fan. The fan feed needs a relay and an independent feed. Wiring it this way means that the ac will only work when the interior blower fan is on. Im only using the ac switch, the eco button is redundant in my setup.
This is my rough sketch again. I do a proper drawing in my 'little black book', which is a full history book of what Ive done to the car, but this will do for now.
Ive got the dash back in, the system is due to be charged on saturday so fingers crossed.

Bash

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Been a while,but, had a few issues (covid being one of them) but its now working. Had to change the compressor because it was very stiff to turn, one reason being that it was a 7 piston unit big enough for a transit freezer van according to the guy who came to charge the system ! and it kept spinning the v belt on the pulley. So I had to get another compressor, a sanden sd5 ( 5 pistons) and because it was slightly shorter I had to replace one of the pipes and fittings. One other mod was to increase the wrap of one belt around one of the pulleys which meant designing an idler pulley setup and I have used an idler pulley from a Ford mondeo which also doubles up as a belt tensioner. Controversial bit is that it works on the 'wrong' side of the v belt, single v that is, not a polyvee. Not common on cars but common on ride on lawnmowers.
It all works well and blows very cold. You do know now that last summer was the last hot one because Ive fitted aircon. Sorry.

Bash
Ps, Im going to stop pissing about with it now and enjoy it.
Pps. Famous last words !

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Just a quick update, Ive probably done over 1000 miles since I finished it. The brakes work really well, the pedal feel has improved and feels much more solid and when needed really pulls the car up well. Well worth the hours of research. The aircon has had a good test the last couple of weeks because of the hot weather and nowts fallen off or stopped working. Even in the recent 30 degree heat it gets so cold I have to keep switching it off unless I blend some warm air into it..result !
Well worth the effort.

Bash

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

bash wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 07:44
Just a quick update, Ive probably done over 1000 miles since I finished it. The brakes work really well, the pedal feel has improved and feels much more solid and when needed really pulls the car up well. Well worth the hours of research. The aircon has had a good test the last couple of weeks because of the hot weather and nowts fallen off or stopped working. Even in the recent 30 degree heat it gets so cold I have to keep switching it off unless I blend some warm air into it..result !
Well worth the effort.

Bash
Excellent result - very satisfying and a just reward for the work you have done.

Cheers, Richard

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Thanks everyone for following the build.

Bash

rogbmw
Junior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by rogbmw »

Bash - that is really an impressive build. Congrats!