manifold to down pipe nuts

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

CHRISYD
Senior Poster
Model: N/A
Colour: N/A

manifold to down pipe nuts

Post by CHRISYD »

Ive got to change the exhaust manifold to downpipe gasket but im having trouble :roll: the nut and stud nearest the chassis came off no probs, the big bolt at top centre sheared so needs drilling out, but its the nut and stud nearest the sump.....I cant get to it!! you need a deep socket to clear the stud but it wont fit between sump and downpipe. I can just get a spanner on but no room to move it!!! :evil: :evil:
I REALISED YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT A LOTUS!!! Until now :oops:

marky
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: white
Year: 1987

Re: manifold to down pipe nuts

Post by marky »

Can you get a nut-splitter in there and cut through the nut? or possibly a dremel?

What about giving SJ a ring and asking them how they do it or even taking it in there and getting them to sort it out for you.

Mark.

John
Regular Poster

Post by John »

Would an offset or ratchet spanner work in the limited space you've got? Or a socket with a flexi drive?

fueltheburn
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Suzuki Yellow
Year: 1987

Post by fueltheburn »

LMAO - Apologies but I remember those days :lol: :lol:

My list back in the day went:

1. Spray nut liberally with wd40 and leave to penetrate.
2. Wobbly extension. Nut Rounded... Fu...
3. Nut splitter..... not enough room.
4.Heat red hot (nut only) with blow torch, the nut will have expanded and may once again fit the right size socket. If you are lucky it will crack off... too easy... nope.
5. Dremel multi time... getting desperate arent we!
6. Is personal choice and tool dependant on what you have. I hit and split nut with a big long chisel and lump hammer, I had a pit for this though.

7. Sorry.... you failed.... engine out and on bench. Wow access is so easy now and it comes off in 2 mins. :roll:

Good luck :P

MrCoolA
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1989

Post by MrCoolA »

fueltheburn wrote:LMAO - Apologies but I remember those days :lol: :lol:

My list back in the day went:

1. Spray nut liberally with wd40 and leave to penetrate.
2. Wobbly extension. Nut Rounded... Fu...
3. Nut splitter..... not enough room.
4.Heat red hot (nut only) with blow torch, the nut will have expanded and may once again fit the right size socket. If you are lucky it will crack off... too easy... nope.
5. Dremel multi time... getting desperate arent we!
6. Is personal choice and tool dependant on what you have. I hit and split nut with a big long chisel and lump hammer, I had a pit for this though.

7. Sorry.... you failed.... engine out and on bench. Wow access is so easy now and it comes off in 2 mins. :roll:

Good luck :P

Agree with Kieran here, if you have acces to an engine hoist, then 45 mins to take engine out and 1 minute to remove nut/bolt then 60 mins to get engine back in. ( needs two of u though).
Previously Jerry (Taylor)
Now "Black Flag"

Lotus Excel SEI1989 253.6hp 190lbft
Lotus Elise S3 1.6. Motorsport Green 2011.

CHRISYD
Senior Poster

Post by CHRISYD »

Your a cheerfull bunch!!! :lol: Think I may have found a way.... a chap at work gave me an old thing that looks like a metal tube about 8" long with a socket shaped into the end (think he said "box spanner") with a T handle. it looks a lot narrower than my deep socket so going to try tomorrow eve.

robertverhey
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by robertverhey »

Yep tube spanners have got me out of a tight spot many many times!
Robert Glacier Blue '87 SE

CHRISYD
Senior Poster

Post by CHRISYD »

ITS DONE!!!!!! Box spanner was still too chunky, but then :idea: I noticed if you slide your arm along between the bellhousing and downpipe towards the front, you can just get a stubby spanner onto the nut! took loads of small turns but its done. :D :D

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

That's a shame. Had you taken the engine out just think of the nice shiny engine bay you would of had :cry: :cry: :D :D
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

CHRISYD
Senior Poster

Post by CHRISYD »

Hawaiis0 wrote:That's a shame. Had you taken the engine out just think of the nice shiny engine bay you would of had :cry: :cry: :D :D
with whatever car ive had, engine out is a last resort! id rather bend, weld or chop tools first!! :lol:

MrCoolA
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1989

Post by MrCoolA »

CHRISYD wrote:
Hawaiis0 wrote:That's a shame. Had you taken the engine out just think of the nice shiny engine bay you would of had :cry: :cry: :D :D
with whatever car ive had, engine out is a last resort! id rather bend, weld or chop tools first!! :lol:
I'm sure someone once said " any more than two engine jobs to do then take it out " ( paraphrased Obviously)
Previously Jerry (Taylor)
Now "Black Flag"

Lotus Excel SEI1989 253.6hp 190lbft
Lotus Elise S3 1.6. Motorsport Green 2011.

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

This post is rather late but I have just reassembled my engine and manifold/downpipe. The subject was how to get the manifold off. Remember you have to get it all back on.
Normally the nuts are so rusted even spanners with good access do not release the nuts and Dremel cuts are necessary. Replacing all studs will help reassembly.
To tighten the nuts on reassembly, besides some nimble fingerwork to get the washers and nuts started on threads, tightening of the two rearmost nuts is not difficult. The front nut I tightened with a 1/4 inch drive ratchet, the shaft is thin enough to enable straight access.
Also note that heat proof nuts with anti-loosening heads (all steel) will avoid the nuts loosening during normal running. Useful for both manifold to head and manifold to downpipe.
Dave the Cog