The Elite and automatic transmission

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

The Elite and automatic transmission

Post by richardw »

It is well documented that Colin Chapman's original vision for the Elite was as a highly equipped luxury sports car - using features such as power steering, air conditioning and automatic transmission.

Tony Rudd's autobiography makes brief reference to the fact that Lotus was in discussion with Automotive Products (AP) of Leamington about an automatic transmission to be used in the Elite. (AP had originally developed the 'Manumatic' automatic clutch gearbox in the early 50s, and subsequently the 4 speed in-sump auto box used on the Mini, 1100/1300 and Maxi ranges.)

What I didn't know was that AP had also developed a 4 speed auto box designed for cars up to 2.5 litres in capacity. An in-line (front engine, rear drive) version of this box was displayed at the 1968 Motor Show - there is a publicity shot of Graham Hill and a couple of AP execs with the box, together with an Autocar cutaway drawing.

As far as I know, this AP box was never put into production on a vehicle, and of course the Elite 504 ended up using the Borg Warner 3 speed box.

Well, I think it's quite interesting!! Apologies to those who don't .... :?

Richard

mkelite
Senior Poster
Model: Elite S2.2
Colour: Lotus Yellow
Year: 1982

Re: The Elite and automatic transmission

Post by mkelite »

it is interesting............my S2.2 Elite is indeed an auto. frowned upon by some but much in character of the car i think.

i also find it interesting that automatic transmission is not seen as driving or sporting in such cars - ironically F1 cars have had auto systems and most top performance cars today are almost all supplied with automatic systems .

they are more efficient and you could not change gear as fast and cleanly as the auto boxes.

regards all.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Interesting, I wonder if it would have been as good as the 4HP22? My SA (like half of Richard's Elite) is such a good effortless GT car. A modern car way before it's time. It also handled ok in manual format around Oliver's Mount. Only the Driver's skills were lacking.

You'll all be wanting cruise control next :)
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

richardw

Post by richardw »

The 4HP22 is a very good gearbox, I agree. What makes it particularly good at high speed is the lock-up 4th gear which takes away some of the inefficiencies of the torque converter. I doubt whether the AP box would have been as good, but we have to remember that in the early 70s when the Elite was in design there were no 4 speed autos available (apart presumably from the AP one) and hardly any 5 speed manual boxes. So the vision for the Elite was quite seriously compromised by available technology, and it is easy to be critical in retrospect of the quality of the transmissions Lotus ended up using.

If I stick my 4HP22 in 3rd, it behaves pretty much as the original BW 3 speed would have done - it's an absolute blast - always plenty of revs available to make life interesting!

And I do agree that the auto boxes make a lot of sense in these cars. Maybe not in a 7 or an Elan, but certainly in our cars which combine precision, performance and comfort so well.

Richard

alanbell
Senior Poster

Post by alanbell »

richard, i have been a member of club lotus long enough to know that criticism of the maxi box was not only made in retrospect it was made when the car was current. any one of the many reliable 4 speed would have been a better choice, especially when the car with the 907 engine had barely enough power to use 5th as an overdrive.

richardw

Post by richardw »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Alan, you'll love this: the AP Mk III auto box I referred to in my original post was after all fitted to a production vehicle but in transverse configuration - the AUSTIN MAXI!!!

alanbell
Senior Poster

Post by alanbell »

pity chapman did not put the box to which you referred into the elite instead of the chocolat maxi 5 sped manual. two immediate benefits occur to me:
1 it would have made the car a little more reliable
2 i would never have bought an elite as i hate auto boxes :lol: :lol:

richardw

Post by richardw »

Given it's evident Lotus connections, I'm now seriously tempted to buy an Austin Maxi :lol:

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

richardw wrote:Given it's evident Lotus connections, I'm now seriously tempted to buy an Austin Maxi :lol:
I loved that gearbox in my Elite (owned 1982 -1991) -fantastic gear change and ideal ratios (with 'E' Cam post 1976). I can't understand the criticism to be honest! :D
Peter K

richardw

Post by richardw »

Possibly as a result of my web searches about obscure and ordinary British cars, I received an email from Amazon this morning inviting me to buy a new book about the Reliant Robin :oops:

alanbell
Senior Poster

Post by alanbell »

peter, the maxi box was criticised in the day, and if like me you had fitted 3 ( all professionally rebuilt and fitted) in 12k miles i think you would understand. my misfortune was to buy an elite before i did the research into lotus cars, if i had i would have bought an excel, or maybe never bought any lotus.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

alanbell wrote:peter, the maxi box was criticised in the day, and if like me you had fitted 3 ( all professionally rebuilt and fitted) in 12k miles i think you would understand. my misfortune was to buy an elite before i did the research into lotus cars, if i had i would have bought an excel, or maybe never bought any lotus.
I do appreciate your findings -but just for balance - my experience was a different, positive, one - maybe I had a good one, or maybe it functioned well for my 9 year ownership because I lived in Cornwall and Winchester and the climate is a tad warmer there? Who knows? It's a mystery!
I loved the narrow-gated gear change and there was a ratio for every occasion - but then I like changing gear to keep the engine on cam ..it must be the racer in me! :D
Peter K

CHRISYD
Senior Poster
Model: N/A
Colour: N/A

Post by CHRISYD »

apart from a weak 4th syncro (had to engage gear slower than the other gears) it was a good match to my old éclat. I drained the gear oil after 77k and when drained after about 30k of weak 4th, the oil was metallic silver colour!! (I will add that that was before I bought it). A new bearing and all was well until 99k when I sold it.
I REALISED YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT A LOTUS!!! Until now :oops: