Marcus Horrell's Eclat Excel V8 "eclacco"

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Marcus
Junior Poster
Year: 0

Re: Marcus Horrell's Eclat Excel V8 "eclacco"

Post by Marcus »

The sump heater is there in the interests of engine wear. There is also a built in trickle charger to keep the battery topped up. The car is “hard wired” for both of these. There is a fuel tank filler cap on each side of the car – one side is for fuel and the other has a "caravan plug" multi pin connector, so when in the garage, I will be able to plug the car in and keep the battery topped up and the sump warm. (I had the filler cap re-chromed some time ago, and now I can't them, they must be somewhere!!!)

The mouldings in the boot floor are there for the spare wheel and 2 plastic storage boxes. Boot space is tight, and the idea is to have a couple of bespoke storage compartments for such things as tools, continental travel kit etc. There is a fibreglass cover for the spare wheel and a strip of LED lighting, so I should be able to keep the boot and its contents nice and tidy.

Simpatico
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit

Post by Simpatico »

Good stuff.

To be honest was one of the doubting Thomas' about the rear end changes but it appears you may just be reverting back to what dear Ollie was wanting in the first place (top right);

Although I like the Excel shape, as Angus mentioned that broad panel above the bumper was not very satisfying. People have tried filling in the SD1 apertures and adding all sorts of lights above the bumper without success. However if you cant that tail panel rearwards instead of forwards as you have done (and Ollie skecthed) and suddenly it kind of works in a 70s coupe type of way. I'm thinking Audi 100 Coupe, or if we are being more exotic Iso Lele/Lambo Jarama!
I am an EX owner; I have ceased to be

Marcus
Junior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Marcus »

I agree with your thoughts about the tail panel canted rearwards, and I personally like the sketch on the top right of Ollies book fly cover – it does seem to work.

It was over 10 years ago that I started to modify the back of my car, and from an aesthetic point of view I could not get the rear light cluster to work either below or above the waist line, so my compromise was to put my lights in the middle of the waist line. However, I think that one of the issues for this type of project is finding a light cluster that will work for ones design – try incorporating a rear light cluster off a new car today into a design!!

Excel SA
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by Excel SA »

I hadn't seen this build before - some interesting pics on the build and serious attention to detail.

Richard we need a forum section for builds for things like this! What else have I missed :mrgreen:

Here's a link to the main page https://flickr.com/photos/70651819@N00/ ... 2348255005

Neil.